Pathfinder Kingmaker is bigger then Deadfire

1. not sure but fighter might add more dex bonus even when wearing heavy armor

2. if you want use intimidate feats you probably want more charisma

Ad.1 Not the Two handed subclass. They trade the Armor bonuses of fighter to more damage for two handed weapons.

Ad.2 That's what Intimidate Prowess is for and Orcs have a bonus of their own. You think it might not be enough?

Depends if you want pure fighter or mix in few other things, you need dex 13 for dodge, you need int 13 for some defensive fighting, if you going into intimidation its good to mix in 3 levels of thug

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Since the big patch is out I will start my first game.

My choice went to intimidating half-orc two handed fighter. Basically Sarevok from BG, but you know Half-Orc.

2. I want my main feat lines be Power Attack -> Cornugon Smash -> Dreadful Carnage, all Cleave feats, All Weapon Focus feats, Penetratig Strike, Intimidate Prowess, Shatter Defenses, Hammer the Gap.

Are there more feats to capitalize on high Intimidation and increasing damage?

Thanks in advance.

good news, bruv, u can scroll up and check out gomnirs advice on constructing an intimdate based frontliner - is more inquisitor than fighter but u could prob eke a fair bit of relevant info.

most melee damage classes should prob be abusing a level of rogue + vivisectionist for the quick 2d6 sneak attack damage + 4 STR from mutagen unless u have rp reasons for not doing so. rogue also has a subclass called 'thug' which provides an intimidate related ability at lv1. u can also take 2 levels in thug for evasion. u can also chuck some barb levels in there - enough to get amsuing stuff like reckless stance, biting people like some nutter, and improved uncanny dodge.

its a minor thing, but u should cap out one of the stats u plan to increase at an odd number. ull get 5 ability point increases between now and lv 20. like if you start at STR 20, youll finish with STR 25, which is no better than starting at STR 19 and finishing at STR 24.

gromnir himself remarked that he not put huge stock in ability scores. i can understand why. the bonuses u get from them become less meaningful as the game progresses.

i think u could happily cap ur STR at 15+the racial bonus to give u 17, then that leaves u with loads more points to spend elsewhere. but 17+the racials fine if u really want to be all roar smash etc.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

3. Does reach weapons more useful with cleave feats than normal weapons? If yes than in which weapon should I specialize? Which type have the most representation in game as there is no crafting AFAIK? And if reach weapons don't capitalize on my build than which weapon would you guys recommend? No details though in terms of weapon names/stats and places/time, please.

Thanks in advance.

If you really want to use (Great) Cleave then reach weapons are the way to go as they make having viable targets in range easier. You can pick any one of them you like, there are plenty of good options available (IIRC there are good Glaives early on). Just keep in mind that Cleave adds another layer of micromanagement to your character - one that you necessarily have to pay attention to once you get additional attacks and buffs like Haste or a weapon with the Speed modifier.

In general most weapon types are fine. There's a distinct lack of Star Knives and most racial weaponry except for Elven Curved Blades. Which are top tier two handers but probably not worth losing a feat over compared to Falchions for a STR based build unless you're playing an Elf.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

minor correction: 

we noted 'bove how when we takes a level o' monk for an intimidating melee inquisitor, we choose either improved initiative or combat expertise for the monk bonus feat.  brain fart.  improved initiative and combat reflexes is our coin-flip choice.  if we got access to a reach weapon and decent dex, then combat reflexes is a good option, particularly as it makes available an additional teamwork feat.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I don't know if it was mentioned before - but details on the Kingmaker season pass just dropped. First DLC is called "The Wildcards - it's due to launch at 6th of December.

And it provides us with a new race (tiefling), new class (kineticist) and a new fully fleshed out companion (tiefling kineticist - obviously). And she's both romancable and can be one of the advisors in your kingdom. Yay?

https://www.gog.com/game/pathfinder_kingmaker_the_wildcards

The other one is called "Varnholds Lot" - it's due to release on February:

A new bonus campaign. While celebrating your victory at Jamandi Aldori’s mansion, you’ve met another hero of the Stolen Lands: the mercenary captain Maegar Varn. While you’re building your barony in the Shrike Hills and Narlmarshes, Varn and his people are establishing their own nation ofVarnhold in the rocky foothills of Dunsward. What did they have to face? Play this new story, and export the consequences of the choices you’ve made there into the main campaign of Pathfinder: Kingmaker! This exciting new side story is about the size of one chapter of our main campaign and will take 6-12 hours to complete, depending on your playstyle.

And finally: "Beneath the Stolen Lands" - April 2019.

A new game mode. Sometimes you want to play a story with memorable characters, rich lore, and a complicated set of choices and consequences. But then there are days when you just want to grab a sword, cast some spells, and destroy a horde of monsters! This DLC will introduce a rogue-like randomly generated endless dungeon, complete with a new unique boss. You can explore it in a separate game, or as a part of your main campaign. How deep can you go?

Sounds interesting.

Edited by aksrasjel
  • Like 3

TBH they don't really sound all that great to me. The first one sounds the best to me as I can play a new race and class but it feels light as there doesn't seem to be a story component other than the new character's personal one. The second one is probably the least interesting to me as I want to play my own player character and don't really like RPGs that have sections where you play someone else. The last one I don't have a very strong opinion on as I don't generally play these types of games for the combat.

That probably sounds more negative than I meant it

PS I hope they release more classes and races. I'd buy DLC race/class/prestige packs in a heartbeat.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Play this new story, and export the consequences of the choices you’ve made there into the main campaign of Pathfinder: Kingmaker!

Am I supposed to play this before the main game?

TBH they don't really sound all that great to me. The first one sounds the best to me as I can play a new race and class but it feels light as there doesn't seem to be a story component other than the new character's personal one. The second one is probably the least interesting to me as I want to play my own player character and don't really like RPGs that have sections where you play someone else. The last one I don't have a very strong opinion on as I don't generally play these types of games for the combat.

That probably sounds more negative than I meant it

PS I hope they release more classes and races. I'd buy DLC race/class/prestige packs in a heartbeat.

I like getting the new race/class/companion. As for the side campaign, it will depend on how interesting it is.

sign.jpg

You're not alone in that Shady, besides the first one it sounds kind of meh, I had hoped for some more fleshed out DLC's a'la TW3 Blood and Wine.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

i think that roguelike dungeon thing might be an amusing car-crash.

dont feel d&d/pathfinder are good systems with which to implement it. emphasis on packing right counter spells for each encounter may turn each level into ro-sham-bo.

certain builds will be far more viable than others - this already problem with core rules but roguelike implementation will only sharpen it. lack of options will hurt replayability which is key draw of roguelikes.

owlcat already have form upsetting people with encounter design. strap urselves in lads. i think this is gonna be good.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

i think that roguelike dungeon thing might be an amusing car-crash.

Given how unbelievably good Nethack 3.6.1. is, other roguelikes don't really attract me. Or at least they'll have to be very, very, very good.

As soon as 3.6.1. came out, I had to win it, of course, with a tourist.

lvl 20

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

What weapon and class would be better for a melee-focused character with a 2H sword? Elven curve blade and rogue or greatsword and 2H fighter? I've found only one decent ECB (+1, Keen) on my first PT, so is this weapon type a viable option?

Id go falchion personally. 18-20 base crit on a standard martial weapon is pretty tasty

Largely, u shouldnt be contemplating 'pure' classes in pathfinder. Mixture of rogue+fighter weighted towards whatever ure feeling should be fine.

At v least u want to make sure ur packing 1 x rogue + 1 x vivisectionist. After that u can go 18 lvls of fighter or a mixture of fighter and rogue according to taste. U might want to start the game as a lv 1 fighter just for convenience.

Either way u want to go STR based rather than DEX based.

• Like 1

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

Note that if you use a one-handed sword without an offhand, it will be wielded with two hands in combat. Wierd, but that's how it works in this game. Honestly for a melee class all you need is standard 1 Monk 2 Paladin and rest Vivisectionist, with any weapon you want (I used the Dueling Blade for flavor). DEX and no armor is clearly better for a character like that, you get a ton of AC from buffs, and later on you will find a 0 AC robes with massive bonuses.

• Like 1

I'm going monk/rogue for my latest playthru.  A bit squishy because low level but loving the damage i put out so far.  Went first level Monk then going 3 lvls of rogue to get a decent sneak attack and Dex to dmg for my unarmed fists, then going back to monk til next dmg die for fists and then go back and forth from rogue.  Going lawful good guy route this time.  Not save scumming and doing different things to see how the story plays out.  also i put kingdom management on auto so hopefully that will take care of alot fo the time with kingdom :)

Also, ya'll have gotten to lvl 20 right? I keep reading online people saying how doing everything without exp mod will only get ya to lvl 18.  

Edited by redneckdevil
  • Like 1

Level 17, maybe 18 if you're Dora the Explorer, is max you will get with a full party. There isn't enough XP to hit the level cap.

Don't put kingdom on Auto guys. AI will never build craftsman buildings, which means you will never be able to complete their quests. I think the latest patch added "effortless" kingdom management? Check it out. I've no exp with it yet cause I'm waiting for the incoming story DLC... TO RESTART >>AGAIN<< FML...

• Like 1

So, what is the answer to the thread's "question"? Is Pathfinder bigger than Deadfire?

I'm asking about the size/time to finish.

I'd say it is bigger, because you will experience a couple game breaking bugs and have to start over.

• Like 2

So, what is the answer to the thread's "question"? Is Pathfinder bigger than Deadfire?

I'm asking about the size/time to finish.

It's bigger then Deadfire

No real good way to estimate the time based on my playthroughs because the load times were terrible and I had a million bugs that I had to load older saves or wait for patches to get around

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

It's bigger in Japan.

(I have no idea what the answer is. Speaking from a narrative point of view, Kingmaker appears to have exactly none of the ambition of Deadfire, since it's all trope and cliche. Nothing wrong with that, but if you're looking for greatness in that sense, you're unlikely to get it. My sense is they're both great in their own ways.)

• Like 6