Pathfinder Kingmaker is bigger then Deadfire

From now on, players can Inspect creatures and characters to find out more about their strengths and weaknesses in combat. This is done by clicking on a new button in the HUD Menu. Once activated, a skill check is made if players have never met this type of unit before. The result of the skill check and the info revealed about the unit can be found in the Combat Log. A special tooltip with available information shows up in the upper right corner of screen when hovering with the mouse cursor on the unit or the Combat Log record.

Okay, now that sounds really neat

From now on, players can Inspect creatures and characters to find out more about their strengths and weaknesses in combat. This is done by clicking on a new button in the HUD Menu. Once activated, a skill check is made if players have never met this type of unit before. The result of the skill check and the info revealed about the unit can be found in the Combat Log. A special tooltip with available information shows up in the upper right corner of screen when hovering with the mouse cursor on the unit or the Combat Log record.

Okay, now that sounds really neat

will it display active statuses (like spells affecting them) tho?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Anyone lucky enough to remember Betrayal at Krondor?

Considering the games insistence on having the right counter to each battle, this is fantastic news. Implemented right, this could go a long way to improve the experience.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

will it display active statuses (like spells affecting them) tho?

*shrug*

I don't even have the game yet, just interested in it.

I sure hope so.

Not as in "Lucky enough", more in the capacity of "You've not played it yet? What is wrong with you, the game was insanely ahead of its time. Just go ahead and play it, it's practically free at this point, especially with the amount of fun it'll provide."

Edited by Fenixp

The very first impression is that the game is a heck of a lot faster in 1.1 than it was before.

loading screens or what do you mean?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Loading screens, clicking, everything. To specify: my "very first impression" didn't go further than character creation (I haven't started the game properly yet, as I've been waiting for the patch). But the difference is significant.

Well first part of game without KM was working quite even before

I sure hope so.

Not as in "Lucky enough", more in the capacity of "You've not played it yet? What is wrong with you, the game was insanely ahead of its time. Just go ahead and play it, it's practically free at this point, especially with the amount of fun it'll provide."

Preach. even a friend who id put in the category of 'will be put off by its age' loved BaK. wonderful game. i know its part of the pantheon amongst crpg nuts, but it deserves so much more recognition.

so ye, if anyone reading this aint got round to BaK yet, i kind of envy you. get on that train lads.

(i know this is supposed to be about kingmaker so ill just remark that its patching now, time to bust out that charismatic inquistor/thug thing)

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

I sure hope so.

I think I speak for all of us and truth when I say that you should think with your brain not with your nostalgia. Today's games are much better than Betrayal at Krondor was when it came out, and they're only getting better...

...eh, nah. Can't do it. Sorry. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

the patch ive noticed the game booting up REALLY quickly compared to yesterday.  i was quite surprised how fast it loaded up.

Still loving the game.  I did find something i didn't like at all and its the goblin companion quest.  As a lawful evil baron, i disliked the fact i couldn't kill either party involved and got really upset that i'm forced to have at least one if not both parties in my capital.  Even though the goblin is the best stat companion, i wanted to murder him and use his entrails to strangle the other party.  grrrrr. 

im thinking about making a new character and shelve the undead bloodline sorcerer til the game is fully patched and keep him my "Main".  The monk class is looking good even though i wanna do a rogue but the goblin/half elf lady is already filling the role.  I would do a bard but thats already filled with Lizzie.  Im thinking a dragon disciple using a monk and another class to take advantage any suggestions? 

• Like 1

I would love a graphical rebott of Krondor. Even at release it looked a bit silly.

Noooooo, i love the goofy digitised actors and animations. dont take them away from me.

I think I speak for all of us and truth when I say that you should think with your brain not with your nostalgia. Today's games are much better than Betrayal at Krondor was when it came out, and they're only getting better...

lmao

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

I sure hope so.

Mods! Do something! Sonicmage is hijacking other people accounts!!!

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

right, instead of working, im tinkering with this intimidate based inquisitor/thug thing. im feeling less the gorum smash thing and more 'seductive, yet brutal crimelord of calistria' vibe with trickery domain.

i know i should go human but ive found a half-elf portrait i want to use, so half-elf it is. at least the adaptability bonus can go into persuasion.

I'm feeling something along the lines of 15 STR, WIS and CHA. as i progress, i can level two of those stats up to 16 then either STR or CHA up to 18. Racial bonus of +2 would go on either STR or CHA - probably STR, but i might go CHA for more 'flavour'.

this leaves me with 4 point buy for the remainder. so maybe DEX 12 and INT 12? i dont feel any great inclination towards the 13 DEX (dodge etc) or 13 INT (combat expertise) trees for this build, but maybe theres a feat in one of those trees im underestimating. i usually err on the side of being a skill point whore, but ur party can fill in the gaps most of the time. CON will prob just stay at 10.

so lets provisionally say either

17/12/10/12/15/15

or

15/12/10/12/15/17

Current plan is kinda basic - Thug 3/Inquisitor 17.

is there anything tasty im missing here? like, my background is 3.5 not pathfinder, so im prob missing a few tricks.

level 16 is kinda a sweet spot for inquisitor levels, particular for an intimidator build; you receive 1/2 inquisitor levels bonus to intimidation checks via stern gaze. so 16 levels o' inquisitor + 4 levels o'... something.  level 18 inquisitor would get you 1 more point o' judgement damage, but the sneak attack bonuses from additional levels o' vivisectionist or rogue is too potent to pass. one level o' monk or fighter makes sense as both provide free feats.  traditional monk provides better saves but more limited feat selection (take either improved initiative or combat expertise.) fighter lets you choose any feat you wish.  we typical choose monk, but ain't a build breaker choice. sneak attacks, mentioned already, is weird in kingmaker.  any two characters attacking same target = flanked.  so, with 1 level o' vivisectionist and two levels o' thug you will receive 2nd tier sneak attack, thug bonuses to intimidate, evasion, a free combat feat,  and a +4 alchemical bonus to strength. 

so, typical we take two levels o' inquisitor, then go with 1 level each o' vivisectionist, thug and traditional monk.  keep adding inquisitor but wait to level ten to take second level o' rogue (thug)-- you will be able to get shatter defenses a smidge early by delaying second level o' rogue.  is unintuitive meteagamey nonsense and silly, but whatever.

keep in mind the inquisitor only receives pretty much priest weapon proficiencies + bows.  as an intimidator, you will likely wanna use a strength build as intimidating presence is a worthwhile feat and 'cause you are gonna wanna be in the thick o' melee combat to get most out of your feats. inquisitors only apply bane/greater bane to one weapon, so dual wield builds is rare as effective as strength-based builds which exploit a single big weapon.  keep in mind weapon choice when choosing a deity.  is not many deities which have a nice two-handed melee weapon as their favored choice.  shelyn is a non-intuitive choice for an intimidator build, but a reach weapon is a nice option.

humans get an extra feat and an extra skill.  you are gonna be using a whole bunch o' feats to maximize your intimidator, so humans is a good choice.

dwarves is another choice worth considering. dwarves is actual the ideal race choice for a ranged inquisitor.  serious. your best class saves for inquisitor is fort and will, but a ranged kingmaker inquisitor is gonna have high dex and a few levels o' rogue.  a dwarven ranged inquisitor will end up getting evasion and stalwart (which is like evasion but for both will and fort saves) and with steel soul (+4 to all saves) and correct teamwork choices, your dwarf ends up with insane saves.  you intimidator won't be a ranged character, but your reflex saves should still be okie dokie.  choose dwarf and steel soul feat is worth consideration.

half orcs is actual your ideal race choice from a pure mechanical pov.  benefits: +2 on intimidate checks, +1 skill point per level (make certain to max perception and persuasion,) and you get falchion and great axe as racial weapon proficiencies.  although an ironic choice, a half-orc inquisitor o' callistra would solve your weapon conundrum as you could choose falchion (recommended) or great axe as your weapon o' choice and still get trickery and callistra.

our current fave domains for an inquisitor is luck and nobility... 'cause they both work as described and are both useful.  such is rare for kingmaker. glory would be the perfect domain choice for an intimidating inquisitor... if it were working proper.  3+wisdom modifier times per day, glory domain allows the inquisitor to add cleric level to a single charisma check.  so, potential add another +16 (end game) to all those intimidation checks?  crazy powerful and such bonuses last for an hour until utilized.  use before combat.  haven't checked since last couple o' patches, but if touch o' glory affects dazzling display and cornugon smash and dreadful carnage, then bypassing glory domain is actual a kinda self-gimpage for an intimidation inquisitor.

aside, am actual personal less concerned with ability scores than most folks.  by the end o' the game, feats and gear is gonna be far more important.  personal, we get str to 16 by mid-point o' game, and put all other level-up bonuses in wisdom. *shrug* whatever.  with mutagen alchemical bonus and gear, your str will be plenty high with a natural 16.

think we covered basics.

HA! Good Fun!

ps is noteworthy the class/level screen does not accurate describe inquisitor bane as it performs in kingmaker.  at level 12, bane is automatically replaced with greater bane, as happens in pnp pathfinder.  4d6 damage.  inquisitor is thus even stronger than one might believe from reading in-game descriptions. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

thanks gromnir. couple of nuggets of wisdom dropped there i hadnt considered. chiefly the domains and lv 16 being the sweet spot. half-orc + calistra sounds like a really fun combo to me both mechanically and rp so im proper up for that.

even alchemist fits. like if ur gonna be a true follower of calistra and get most out of life, why not pump urself full of drugs.

might have to bypass monk sadly cos of lawful alignment restriction. chaos all the way lads.

have to say that big strapping hedonistic half orc woman way more my thing than is decent. im rolling this beauty up now.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

might have to bypass monk sadly cos of lawful alignment restriction. chaos all the way lads.

lawful inquisitors gets a smallish mechanical advantage against the majority o' tougher kingmaker foes.  not a biggie.

in addition to superior saves, monks also add their wisdom bonus to ac when unarmoured... but is unlikely such is gonna be a meaningful loss save in some particular situations.

add fighter instead o' monk and you get access to all martial weapons, so you need be less concerned with weapon choice than Gromnir observed.  exploit weakness is a level 14 inquisitor ability which is triggered on a critical hit.  ideally you are gonna want to be using a high crit weapon to maximize exploit. half orcs get proficiency with falchion, a high crit, martial, two-handed weapon for free. is a fair number o' nice great axes in the game, and falchion is kinda a perfect melee inquisitor weapon.  can't go wrong with half-orc, regardless o' eventual class choice.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1. not sure but fighter might add more dex bonus even when wearing heavy armor

2. if you want use intimidate feats you probably want more charisma