Pathfinder Kingmaker is bigger then Deadfire

Just started the game ... it's pretty fun story is pretty great, quick questions though ... what difficulty are people playing on ... I mean just starting up with not a lot of thought into character creation, picked fighter with high AC basically, tried it on Hard, but at some point wasn't able to hit the assassins anymore without buffs. 

The flipside is I went one level down and I was wiping the floor with people.  I am guessing I need Hard, and redo my character to make him a high THACO character (is that term even used anymore lol) but would love some feedback on what difficulty people are using :)

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I found the 'best' 'fairiest' is on challenge level with lowering damage input of enemies to 1.0. The way difficulty levels work currently 9I think fixed it to a point) is that enemies' AC, stats, and saving throws get doubled over and over again hence why you get early enemies with attack bonuses upwards of +20,  untocuahbe saves and ridiculous damage. :p

On hard, I'd guess you would have to spam potions 9espciialy early on) to survive.   Middle of the game you tend to have more spells to have more options.  Blur/improved invisibility/stoneskin are literal lifesavers.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

On normal, the game is absolutely forgiving of virtually all mistakes. I've had one battle that I just couldn't win and had to resolve through dialogue. Actually, I prefer dialogue, but I had to resolve it with the chaotic good option instead of the lawful good option. I could have saved and eventually made my persuasion check, but that seemed cheesy, and I sometimes take neutral or chaotic good options anyway. Other than that, there hasn't been any really ugly fights in quite some time.

This game really rewards buffing. Throwing long lasting good buffs on your companions ensures that fights go quickly. You can truly see the difference. I've rarely used my mage for direct damage, although fireball and energy channel can pack a punch on a bunch of baddies at the same time.

Keep us posted as to how your fighter works. I mean, your first mistake is picking a ground pounding infantry grunt for your main character, but not everyone has great tastes during character creation. :tongue in cheek grin:

• Like 1

χαίρετε

Keep us posted as to how your fighter works. I mean, your first mistake is picking a ground pounding infantry grunt for your main character, but not everyone has great tastes during character creation. :tongue in cheek grin:

I realize that you're being sassy, but in all seriousness, fighter isn't a bad pick for one reason: pure defense Valerie and pure offense Fighter PC, loaded up with teamwork abilities, is a really kick-ass combo.

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

So, I lost a companion for story reasons and I don't seem to have another person that can fill his role as an advisor and I have project that needs that position

Hilarious, isn't it? Two of three councillors are gated behind easily missed or ignored decisions, one made at the very beginning of the game and the other one when you have to do something completely out of character for most players.

Getting Tsanna as an advisor is ridiculous. If you want an evil advisor you have to take a chaotic good option to forgive a priest of a chaotic evil deity messing around with your subjects, THEN go back to the shrine and offer her a job.

So, basically, if you have no alternatives and didn't allow the other possible councillor to remain in your lands (if you did you can still pick her up ) you need to wait to get that NPC back.

Not to mention having to forgive his betrayal and allow him to destroy the Oculus of Abbadon in the process.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I'm also getting some events that aren't firing off when I enter the throne room. Not sure what to do other than wait for more patches

I just thought it was silly to then give me Maegar or Vordakai and not allow either of them to fill the position Tristian just left

Free games updated 3/4/21

Oh, I think that fighters are perfectly legitimate. ...And, with the advent of 3.5 and subsequent version of DnD, fighters are an interesting class to play. I was just pretending fighters were army/marine infantry just to have fun. ...And, just in case there are any army pukes or devil dogs out there, I immensely respect you and your service. :wry grin:

χαίρετε

I'm also getting some events that aren't firing off when I enter the throne room. Not sure what to do other than wait for more patches

I just thought it was silly to then give me Maegar or Vordakai and not allow either of them to fill the position Tristian just left

Do you mean kingdom stat upgrade events? Because those can be bugged and the event card that says [Advisortype] is asking for an audience will stick around forever. The easiest way to fix that is to manually edit your save and increase the kingdom stat, bypassing the project that never fired and... sort of live with the card that won't go away.

I have 3 that aren't firing properly including the one with my Magister. The other two are trouble in the barony which is also lowering my stats every once in a while and visitor in the throne room

Yeah those magister rank up is definitely bugged, that you can fix. The other two I've only seen happening after I gave myself an extra year for kindgom management by resetting the time. I learned the hard way to not do that so far back as to have another Bald Hilltop event that already happened fire again - major stat drain and you can't do anything about it.

Anyway, if it's not related to save game editing at least you'll have a month or two of game time for the devs to fix that. This was the buggiest release I've ever played but at least they try hard to fix the issues. :)

• Like 1

Dear pathfinders,

Starting from this hotfix, we are changing our development approach. We have got more than one thousand bugs exterminated by now in the 1.1 version of the game. All of those are waiting to be checked and released. To release the 1.1 version we have to refocus the team effort from making frequent hotfixes to working on this big patch. It would take a whole week at minimum to test every aspect of our complex game. That means we need to reduce the frequency of hotfixes and the amount of fixes they consist of during the next 1-2 weeks (although we will definitely attempt to address the most critical issues whether they arise).

Once the Release 1.1 version will be close to stable, we plan to make it available for everyone in special beta brunch. We would welcome those players who are interested to check the new version before it released. The detailed instruction how to play the Release 1.1 beta will be available soon.

Please, be aware of the plot spoilers in the description below (in the Quest, Areas and Kingdom sections)!

Quests
  • "The First Crown" quest couldn't be completed if players didn't talk to Salim Ghadafar before all crown parts would be found. Resolution: fixed.
  • "One Thousand and One Questionable Stories" could start earlier than intended. Resolution: fixed.
  • There was (one more) problem with Tristian romance not progressing after the dialog with him in the Abandoned Keep area. Resolution: fixed. Affected players should load the save file prior to this dialog and get a special romance option in it ("Let me take you home.")

Areas
  • Storyteller couldn't craft "Tiger Armor" and "Star Gauntlet" artifacts. Resolution: fixed.
  • The game could get stuck when leaving the throne room after completing the kingdom event regarding Annamede Belavarah performance at the Capital Square. Resolution: fixed.
  • Characters could leave the ruined basement part of "House At The Edge Of Time" area with irremovable "Wild Energies" debuff. Resolution: fixed. For effected saves where party are still at the "House At The Edge Of Time" area, players have to visit the ruined basement part and leave it again to remove the debuff.
  • The Defaced Sister at "Barbarian Camp" area can now count to three and provide a correct line depending on how many of her sisters the player has saved / killed.
  • Vendors are added to the "Pitax Town" area after conquering the city.
  • After leaving the councilor post Jhod Kavken could disappear from the Capital Square forever. Resolution: fixed.
  • Bokken didn't trade with the players during the "An Ancient Formula" quest. Resolution: fixed.

Kingdom 
  • In rare cases, Sartaye could start coming every time the player enters the throne room. Resolution: fixed.
  • Events for Divine VIII and IX Rank ups as well as Arcane VII and Arcane IX could get stuck in some cases. Resolution: fixed. Projects for respective rank ups are given as intended.
  • Events for Community IX and X Rank ups could get stuck. Resolution: fixed. Projects for respective rank ups are given as intended.
  • Culture X Rank up event will start properly. 
  • There were incorrect numbers in the Loyalty stat reward in a couple of Pitax Influence events. Resolution: fixed.
  • Region upgrade cards are correctly removed now when you finish upgrading the region.
  • Bald Hilltop events such as "Creeping Death", "Battle for the Bald Hilltop" and "Hunting the Wild Hunt" correctly complete respective quest objectives now.
  • Linxia stops attacks on denizens of your barony properly.
  • No entry points on Pitax city map. Resolution: fixed.
  • Quest objective "Upgrade any region" in the "How to Build a Kingdom" quest can be completed correctly now.
  • Quest objectives in the "Region Upgrade" quest can be completed correctly now.
  • Rank up time reduction project did not work. Resolution: fixed.

Classes & Mechanics
  • "Secret of Hooking and Summoning" killed any creatures, not just summoned ones. Resolution: fixed.
  • At 15th level of Arcane and Sage bloodline Sorcerer the characters received School Power - but were unable to select the school that would receive a bonus. Resolution: Sorcerers can now select the school properly. The game will try to select the favored school for sorcerers that are already past level 15 (the selection is based on the other school related feats and the spell selection of a sorcerer, favoring schools with spell focuses and higher level selected spells).
  • Weapon enhancing abilities of Magus, Paladin and ranger archetypes Stormwalker and Flamewarden did not affect unarmed attacks. Resolution: While the rules were ambiguous, we decided that there is no need to limit player selection in this case and made them affect unarmed attacks as well as weapons.
  • Alchemist counted as a divine class for the requirements of Mystic Theurge. Resolution: fixed.
  • The caster level check was incorrect for "Bloodbird" removal (37 instead of 26). Resolution: fixed.
  • "Overwhelming Presence" worked incorrectly. Resolution: fixed.
  • Whenever any character had two identical metamagic rods equipped on his belt the charges were spending on both. Resolution: fixed.
  • Paladin's archetype Divine Guardian could only use Lay on Hands as a move action on himself (while he should have also been able to use them as a move action on the target of his Divine Troth ability). Resolution: fixed.

Miscellaneous
  • Linzi didn't disappear after death if she died with active polymorph effect. Resolution: fixed.
  • Chinese localization bugs in Recipes are fixed.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have 3 that aren't firing properly including the one with my Magister. The other two are trouble in the barony which is also lowering my stats every once in a while and visitor in the throne room

Yeah those magister rank up is definitely bugged, that you can fix. The other two I've only seen happening after I gave myself an extra year for kindgom management by resetting the time. I learned the hard way to not do that so far back as to have another Bald Hilltop event that already happened fire again - major stat drain and you can't do anything about it.

Anyway, if it's not related to save game editing at least you'll have a month or two of game time for the devs to fix that. This was the buggiest release I've ever played but at least they try hard to fix the issues. :)

The only save editing I've done is to rearrange my companions stats and I didn't edit it directly but via the editor I linked to earlier. I am using a mod that completes events in a day but I don't think it works by skipping days but maybe that is my issue. I found a few posts with others having the same issue where it is more than just the advisor events so I'm hoping it's not the mod. I'll just try again every new patch to see if it fixes my problems as I have no desire to start yet again until there is some new races/classes or content.

It's a standard bug for both Divine and Magister "meet in throne room" going from rank 5 to 6, and a couple of others have them at higher ranks.

However, they have got most of them now working, and I believe todays hotfix is working on the Magister now allowing you to rank up properly.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'll try today's patch when I get home from work. Hoping the fix will clear up all of my issues as I can live with not ranking up arcane or fixing it via save editing but one of the events is lowering my kingdom stats every so often and that's harder to live with.

MAN. Those enemies in the House are reidiculous cheese.  Stat drain that can't be blocked. Need freedom but spamming  dispels. L0L Constant sneak attacks. Being abloe to see invisible. The only sure way to beat them is greater shout. L0L One spell strategy. :p

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

On normal, the game is absolutely forgiving of virtually all mistakes. I've had one battle that I just couldn't win and had to resolve through dialogue. Actually, I prefer dialogue, but I had to resolve it with the chaotic good option instead of the lawful good option. I could have saved and eventually made my persuasion check, but that seemed cheesy, and I sometimes take neutral or chaotic good options anyway. Other than that, there hasn't been any really ugly fights in quite some time.

This game really rewards buffing. Throwing long lasting good buffs on your companions ensures that fights go quickly. You can truly see the difference. I've rarely used my mage for direct damage, although fireball and energy channel can pack a punch on a bunch of baddies at the same time.

It's going alright ... ended up respec'ing for high accuracy which worked in the beginning, but regretting I didn't min/max my character right now, ugh!!  - just saved the outpost on "Hard."  Did a little more research on the prestige classes so went with a one handed fighter and planning for an Eldritch Knight ... anyone playing on "Unfair"?

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I played very briefly on challenging, but I kept redoing my character and I forgot to switch it last time. I screwed up my build completely in the end. I really enjoy the specials for divination, but the dearth of spells sucks. I think I might specialize enchanter next time. Then I'll give up necromancy and... I dunno yet. At least there are some decent Lawful Good options and some of them are tough ones but figure are in character.

I *just* figured out how to build a second village. I have four ****ing regions and my capitol is still a village. Good Lord, it just irks me. My fault, of course, although I do think the kingdom building stuff can be quite opaque.

• Like 1

χαίρετε

The only save editing I've done is to rearrange my companions stats and I didn't edit it directly but via the editor I linked to earlier. I am using a mod that completes events in a day but I don't think it works by skipping days but maybe that is my issue. I found a few posts with others having the same issue where it is more than just the advisor events so I'm hoping it's not the mod. I'll just try again every new patch to see if it fixes my problems as I have no desire to start yet again until there is some new races/classes or content.

:huh::shifty:

sign.jpg

New patch fixed the advisor event but the trouble in the barony and visitor in the throne room are still there

Checked the mod page but nobody else seems to be having other events stuck. I'll play around with it some more.

Update - it's working now

Edited by ShadySands

Oh, I think that fighters are perfectly legitimate. ...And, with the advent of 3.5 and subsequent version of DnD, fighters are an interesting class to play. I was just pretending fighters were army/marine infantry just to have fun. ...And, just in case there are any army pukes or devil dogs out there, I immensely respect you and your service. :wry grin:

Fighters in 3.5 were great early but tapered off when the casters gained access to higher level spells.

Yeah, but at least they get access to a huge amount of feats that lets them differentiate a bit more. in 1st and 2nd, it was basically about gear, which made them a bit more boring to me. Now, you can go defense, offense, bow, melee, or some Frankensteinian build.

• Like 2

χαίρετε

The problem with casters is that their damage is very sub-par for the whole game. It's good to keep one or two for buffs and crowd control, but when it comes to damage, a fully buffed physical group with a Bard song does the most DPS by far.

Well what do you want? that those meager 2 or 3 spells you're allowed to cast 2 or 3 times be worth it?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Yeah, buffs that make the combat much much easier don't actually do the direct damage and so mages suck? Buffs are awesome in this game. I agree that getting back some really brilliant direct damage spells would be good, but good God, when you march all over the enemy because of the buffs your casters provide, and when you take much much less damage, it would be nice not to hear that your wizard doesn't pull his weight.

χαίρετε