Pathfinder Kingmaker is bigger then Deadfire

^It looks like the Kingdom portion has been sorted:

Kingdom

• Auto-managed kingdom will now check that important projects are done in time to progress within the game.
  • If the kingdom is about to be destroyed, the game will offer the player to turn on the Invincible Kingdom mode.
  • Like 1

That's just auto-kingdom and the invincible mode. I'm more asking about reports I read where people would get rather suddenly destroyed or had no idea how to progress to avoid destruction.

I'd like to be able to play it without turning on the cheat mode to win.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That's just auto-kingdom and the invincible mode. I'm more asking about reports I read where people would get rather suddenly destroyed or had no idea how to progress to avoid destruction.

I got my kindom destroyed, problem was just unlucky dice rolls. Latesr I was facing with problems with DC20 and advisor got bonus of +3, and as I was not save scumming problems just got worse and my advisors were unnable to succed on rolls

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

^It looks like the Kingdom portion has been sorted:

Kingdom

• Auto-managed kingdom will now check that important projects are done in time to progress within the game.
  • If the kingdom is about to be destroyed, the game will offer the player to turn on the Invincible Kingdom mode.

Hehe! That's more like your emergency brakes.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I got my kindom destroyed, problem was just unlucky dice rolls. Latesr I was facing with problems with DC20 and advisor got bonus of +3, and as I was not save scumming problems just got worse and my advisors were unnable to succed on rolls

Glad I got Baldur's Gate to hold me over. When the DLC for this comes out maybe I'll be back and hopefully they'll have it rebalanced. Or I'll just use invincible mode.

I'm terrified of putting 30 or 40 hours into this game to get a game over I can't fix.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Glad I got Baldur's Gate to hold me over. When the DLC for this comes out maybe I'll be back and hopefully they'll have it rebalanced. Or I'll just use invincible mode.

I'm terrified of putting 30 or 40 hours into this game to get a game over I can't fix.

I decided to wait some time. But I really liked the little I played. :)

sign.jpg

Is there any reason to keep all this 'notable' crap? Stuff like the stag lord's broken whatzits and Torag's Pendant?

Dunno about all noteables but definitely hold on to most of it. There are some I haven't found uses for but others will get you some nice rewards later on

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Is there any reason to keep all this 'notable' crap? Stuff like the stag lord's broken whatzits and Torag's Pendant?

There's a guy who'll take them off of you for way more than the standard merchant once you establish your barony, if you're talking about the crap that has in its description something like "an antiquities expert will pay well for it."

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Came across an endless gold reward dialogue while looking for one of the Defaced Sisters. It also gives a tiny bit of repeatable experience but not nearly enough to be exploitable considering the amounts of experience one needs to level up at that point. Unless you're really, really bored or really want that level up and somehow think it's better than simply editing your savegame. :)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I've been playing legit except for a few reloads for weird occasions. It might have been super tough at first, but I find Challenging to be just about right for my tastes. There are battles that I have tried, lost, and thought, "oops, better come back later." Still, most of the time it's a pretty fun shot. I'm building up my kingdom slowly. I didn't take the 500 building points from the one dude. I was absolutely sure he was going to go all 'Godfather' on me later on down the line. Plus, I'm a free marketer and I don't want to be forced to use any particular contracting company. Sounded Shady. I'm trying to save some lost kid right now and I will say this, the enraged owlbears are real beasts. I've been putting every hour I can spare into this game. Great fun!

χαίρετε

Bigger and buggier. Yeah!

Well, it took Deadfire several months to start looking like a game you'd want to play.

I very much hope Pathfinder: Kingmaker gets to a stable place too, as I'm very interested in playing a version of that game that is playable. But until then, I have to stand by my previous statement.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Patch 1.10:

Hello everyone!
Please, be aware that there are plot spoilers in the descriptions below (in the Quest, Areas and Kingdom sections)!

Quests

• "Assemble a Militia in Varnhold" could be started before the player was able to enter Varnhold. Resolution: fixed.
  • Not all the guards were triggered into aggressive state while completing "Intervene in Varnhold" objective, making the quest impossible to complete. Resolution: fixed. For players, who already encountered this issue, Tirval has a new dialog to complete the objective.
  • Amiri's sword repair didn't count in the companion's quest ("Reforged Blade"). Resolution: fixed. Affected saves files have also been corrected.
  • Valerie's first companion quest was easy to miss - its starting event was active for 10 days only. Resolution: the active period of the starting event was extended.
  • "Search for poachers somewhere in the Narlmarches" objective could not be completed due to the chance that the related special encounter didn't happen. Resolution: fixed.
  • The dialogue with Eimar could be interrupted ("The River's Justice" quest), making the quest impossible to complete. Resolution: fixed.
  • Romance with Tristian didn't continue in some cases after events at the "Abandoned keep" area during the "Betrayer's flight" quest. Resolution: fixed. Unfortunately, the affected saves couldn't be fixed. Those players who want to continue romance with Tristian have to use saves before "Betrayer's flight" quest completion.
  • Players could use the rule posts after the debates ("Inconsequent Debates" quest), which led to Jubilost becoming a frog permanently. Resolution: fixed.
  • Dialogue with Alondi ("A Bard's Calling" quest) was interrupted after the first phrase, making the quest impossible to complete. Resolution: fixed.
  • "Impatient Pirates" quest didn't finish in some cases. Resolution: fixed.

Areas

• Pitax Wardens had their Combat Expertise bonuses multiplied every time players saved the game. Resolution: fixed.
  • Dialogue with Nyrissa could not be finished in some cases at "Abandoned Keep" area. Resolution: fixed.
  • It was possible to do the "Shrewish Gulch" book event more than once. Resolution: fixed.
  • Party could be teleported to a random area after the Book Event at "Castle of Knives" area. Resolution: fixed.
  • There was a chance to get the second copy of Briar at Pitax King Palace. Resolution: fixed.
  • There was incorrect entrance into "Empty Skull Rock" area. This area couldn't be found by perception check on the Global Map. Resolution: both issues are fixed.
  • There was incorrect entrance into "Middle of Nowhere" area. Resolution: fixed.
  • Dialogue with Salim Ghadafar was triggered every time after loading at "Castle of Knives" area. Resolution: fixed.
  • There were several issues with navigation at "Castle of Knives" area (some loot chests were unreachable; no collisions for some models). Resolution: fixed.
  • Players couldn't loot dead Darwen at "Brineheart". Resolution: fixed.
  • There were two areas for Amiri's companion quest with the same names ("Six Bears Camp") which confused players. Resolution: fixed. The outdated area changed its name now.
  • Under certain conditions, quest NPCs could not appear at "Flintlock Grasslands" area infused by the First World (the last chapter). Resolution: fixed.
  • Bartholomew could be missing at "Wizard's Laboratory" area when players tried to return his whip. Resolution: fixed.
  • Amiri could keep immortal state after completing events at "Flintlock Grasslands" area. Resolution: fixed.
  • "Shallow Gulch" area doesn't require perception check on the Global Map anymore.
  • One of the areas had incorrect type and visualization on the Global Map. Resolution: fixed.
  • The dialogue (Merchant in Distress) didn't work correctly if players resolved the event with fey-pranker peacefully. Resolution: a new dialogue option has been added.
  • Dialogue with goblins located behind the Lamashtu statue was not available. Resolution: fixed.

User Interfaces

• Characters in Inventory could become black-and-white in some cases. Resolution: fixed.
  • HP-bar is improved to indicate correctly Hit Points left.
  • Interaction and exit area markers got stuck in the game frame sometimes. Resolution: fixed.

Kingdom

• Pitax final kingdom event didn't start. Resolution: fixed.
  • Brevoy councilor didn't appear at "Throne Room" area and Kingdom development couldn't progress. Resolution: fixed.
  • The project to get rid of Lander Lebeda's spies was not available. Resolution: fixed.
  • Kingdom could be destroyed without triggering the gameover dialogue in some rare cases. Resolution: fixed.
  • The kingdom event "A Mysterious Letter has Arrived at the Castle" (the letter from Linxia; "Deal With the Devil" quest) didn't finish correctly. Resolution: fixed.
  • Building tooltips have numbers of the kingdom stats which are upgraded by the specific building now.

Classes & Mechanics

• Players who strayed from their prescripted alignment as divine classes and lost their spells asked us to provide them with a way to atone for their transgressions. Resolution: Jhod Kavken and Arsinoe sell Scrolls of Atonement now. Using that scroll returns you to the alignment you selected during character creation at the start of the game which in turn should help characters if they lost their spells. (This is pretty neat!)
  • There was empty description for the buff that caused 50% chance of a spell failure due to the First World influence in some areas. Resolution: fixed.
  • Warpainted Skull of Duthica disappeared after use and did not summon two barbarian spirits. Resolution: Warpainted skull can be properly used once per day and summons two barbarian spirits.
  • There could be two copies of Grimoire in Blakemoor's inventory. Resolution: fixed.
  • Companions who died from the Disintegrate spell disappeared from the party. Resolution: fixed.
  • Jaethal and Linzi became invisible if they died from the Disintegrate spell. Resolution: fixed.
  • Vital Strike inflicted extremely low damage. Resolution: fixed.
  • Bokken's masterpiece didn't work. Resolution: fixed.
  • Lawful Neutral Inquisitors and Clerics of Torag could not cast spells. Resolution: fixed.
  • Enchanted shields no longer give double bonus when equipped (some extraneous enchantments may still remain in older saves).
  • Animal Companions that Druids got from Animal Domain did not scale properly off druid level (while the animal companions that Inquisitors and Clerics got from the same domain were doing just fine). Resolution: fixed.
  • Hospitalers and Empyreal Sorcerers could not select Selective Channel and Extra Channel. Resolution: fixed.
  • The Energy Source ring did not give additional Channel Energy charges to Hospitalers and Empyreal Sorcerers. Resolution: fixed.

Miscellaneous

• There was an issue with one of Nyrissa's animations. Resolution: fixed.

System

• Zip library is upgraded to fix some rare save corruption issues. Unfortunately, affected saves files can not be corrected.
Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

As much I can appreciate the devs working to get hotfixes out every 2 - 3 days, by their own admission they are not allowing themselves enough time to properly test. So you are about as likely to have a bug resolved as a new one crop up.

That's why I went ahead and uninstalled it, and will maybe come back to it later. I don't see how anyone can expect to make it through the game when the already dangerous terrain is being shelled by landmines every few days. How they think doing this is a good idea, is beyond me.

As much I can appreciate the devs working to get hotfixes out every 2 - 3 days, by their own admission they are not allowing themselves enough time to properly test. So you are about as likely to have a bug resolved as a new one crop up.

I'm not entirely sure what kind of insanity possessed them to release patches that are not hotfixes this rapidly. I know Continuous Integration is da shiz today, but I'm not entirely sure it's the best idea for videogames...
  • Like 5

I had a project manager like that before. I swear Agile was his religion.

I don't think this qualifies as Agile. This is just irresponsible. With Agile you have sprint cycles that include QA testing, with releases usually requiring at least 2 weeks to occur.

I'm pretty sure Owlcat is just doing unit testing, bundling it all up, and kicking it out the door, letting their playerbase serve as the QA team. It's a really, really bad practice.

Edited by Marceror

I ran into a weird bug where one of my opponents was removed from the battle by one of those old RPG cutscenes and the battle didn't resolve. So, I did it a different way and a different character ended up out of the battle. And it didn't resolve. So, I figured I'd just fight everyone. And it didn't resolve. Kept getting dumped out with an error message when I tried to leave the area. Finally, I decided to take the option to skip the battle.

Is this an early access game or is it officially released? As long as somewhere down the road we have a stable and playable game, I don't care how they get to it. However, from a practical point of view, if you make a bug ridden unplayable game and release it as the full product, the consumers have every right to grief you. I'm still having a lot of fun, but the bugs are fairly rampant from what I've seen. Most of them are minor, but a couple are serious.

χαίρετε

I had a project manager like that before. I swear Agile was his religion.

Don't say that word again please

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Bigger and buggier. Yeah!

Well, it took Deadfire several months to start looking like a game you'd want to play.

Pathfinder Kingmaker is a different league of broken than anything Obsidian ever released. It's still a fun game and I do enjoy the combat (and by extension the ruleset, obviously) much more than that of Pillars of Eternity and Deadfire. And I didn't even like 3.5E that much.

And the best thing is, they can't change the game rules to accommodate the whiners - and they're not willing to change the encounters.

Outside of Gromnir's poor experience with this Feyspeaker Harrim there's no chance you'll wake up to a patch that rendered your character obsolete. Or half as fun as before. :p

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Patch 1.10:

... Patch 1.10 and *still* no indication of when they'll fix walking speed or UI performance?

To be honest, I don't know how you guys are playing the game. I imagine the UI issues may not affect everyone, but I'm pretty sure the walking speed does, and I can only manage about 5 minutes at a stretch before the walking speed annoys me so much that I quit playing.

I kind of wish somebody took the NWN2 engine, fixed the camera and all the bugs that are still left in it, and replaced the 3.5 ruleset with Pathfinder.

The walking speed is fine as long as you aren't overpacked with junk.

This game - bugs and all - is hella fun. Better than either PE games (which I enjoyed as well).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.