Pathfinder Kingmaker is bigger then Deadfire

The random results of dice rolled are fun! Who knew?

Seriously, though, with a group of real peeps, this stuff almost makes the game. A fumble in that critical moment, or a natural 20 when nothing is at stake, like "I'll try whistling an old Orcish evergreen at the bar."

Oh yeah. I remember one lol roll. We were already more than little bit tipsy IRL, and our extremely low social skill Barbarian was pissed at Bartender for not giving him another mug of Ale. So he decided to urinate all over the serving table. Just for the sake out of it, I told him to roll for "improvised ranged attack" to hit the table. He rolled 20 on that roll and confirmed critical :) The result was a 100 word long poem how the bartender sucks "written" in Golarions alternative to Schwabacher writing :) Of course, he ended up in a jail after that, but the sillyness of the whole situation was epic :)

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

So has anyone had any luck with the "Finding the Pathfinders" kingdom quest?

I've done the kingdom event related to it, "Tipping the Scales" but even if that succeeds, the Finding the Pathfinders fails. So I'm unsure if that's just a bug or something that I'm overlooking....

All I've garnered is this, from player Stian:

This is a quest that is done through kingdom management its called Tipping the scales and must be done by one of your subordinates. Strange thing tho is that once this event is done it fails for some inexplicative reason. I cannot seem to figure this one out. I used Harrim for this event and even if it says the event is a success the quest still fails. 

Alright seems using Harrim was a mistake as he succeeds in the event but the people are outraged by the pathfinders so using someone else may in fact help smooth things over.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

A few responses to some previous posts...

Magic Missile is good as one of a sorcerer's first-level spells, but I don't recommend it as one of your first picks -- it just doesn't do much when your character is level 1. Something with crowd control would be a better option to start with (I haven't gotten far enough in the game to say what would be best).

For those considering Eldritch Knight builds, note that the game doesn't include the Still Spell feat, so there's no reliable casting while wearing armor for spells that have somatic components.

• Like 1

My first build will be the variation of my Halfling Fighter/Wizard/Eldritch Knight just for the LULZ. I am not big fan of min maxing in my games and I love to experiment with silly builds :)

All I need to do, is to find some time to play the game. To busy at my work currently, so still not purchased the game. My backlog is already as big as Sonic's hatred for nostalgia :'(

Awwwwe poor you <3

Holidays are coming up though, I hope you get some time to finish some cool games :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The random results of dice rolled are fun! Who knew?

Seriously, though, with a group of real peeps, this stuff almost makes the game. A fumble in that critical moment, or a natural 20 when nothing is at stake, like "I'll try whistling an old Orcish evergreen at the bar."

Oh yeah. I remember one lol roll. We were already more than little bit tipsy IRL, and our extremely low social skill Barbarian was pissed at Bartender for not giving him another mug of Ale. So he decided to urinate all over the serving table. Just for the sake out of it, I told him to roll for "improvised ranged attack" to hit the table. He rolled 20 on that roll and confirmed critical :) The result was a 100 word long poem how the bartender sucks "written" in Golarions alternative to Schwabacher writing :) Of course, he ended up in a jail after that, but the sillyness of the whole situation was epic :)

We're playing Mysteries of Moonsea at the moment (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysteries_of_the_Moonsea). Somewhere in there is a fairly dangerous cavern complex and an adult (?) blue dragon as the main baddie at the end of it. I recall we weren't that high on resources when we found ourselves against it. There was a surprise round where our DM deemed that only the quickest in initiative could make one standard action. The winner was our mage, who decided his best chance of hurting the beast was to cast Feeblemind. He beat the dragon's spell resistance, after which the dragon failed its save. That was three lucky throws in a row for us. We knew we were lucky, given the place, our location within it, the size of the dragon and the breadth of our resources at the moment.

But it was only at the end of the session where our DM said that of all our available options, it was precisely that spell and its success that he felt was our only way of avoiding wipeout. The dragon was pretty well prepared for everything else we could have thrown at it, including our attempt not to throw anything and run.

• Like 1

Magic Missile is good as one of a sorcerer's first-level spells, but I don't recommend it as one of your first picks -- it just doesn't do much when your character is level 1. Something with crowd control would be a better option to start with (I haven't gotten far enough in the game to say what would be best).

Sleep and Color Spray.

Since you can't swap out spells, taking stuff at 1st level that ends up not being useful at later levels seems a poor choice.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Since you can't swap out spells, taking stuff at 1st level that ends up not being useful at later levels seems a poor choice.

It's unfortunate you can't swap spells, but I'd still take something other than Magic Missile at level 1. You can cast your cantrips as frequently as you want (as far as I could tell), and they are almost as good as a level 1 Magic Missile. In other games, I usually pick it up the next time I get a first-level spell pick (two missiles is fine).

Not swaping spells at level is bug IMO. Unless it is deliberate game design, according to rules, you can swap some spells every second level, starting at level 4.

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Magic Missile is good as one of a sorcerer's first-level spells, but I don't recommend it as one of your first picks -- it just doesn't do much when your character is level 1. Something with crowd control would be a better option to start with (I haven't gotten far enough in the game to say what would be best)."

Burtning hands is a good magic missle 'alternatvie' at level 1 mage multiple enemies and the existence of spider swarms. Sleep/Colour spray are also almost 'insta encounter' win versus low level enemies though the higher level you are the more worthless they are.

And, ya, for  today's update. I get to actually load my saves and play the game. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Not swaping spells at level is bug IMO. Unless it is deliberate game design, according to rules, you can swap some spells every second level, starting at level 4.

It seems unimplemented feature. All classes that can swap at level are unable. And it's been persistent through various hotfixes. Like Fighters are supposed to be able to change bonus feats. Inquisitors are supposed to swap spells. And I would think Bards could, too.

Maybe they'll implement it eventually, but there's no word on them doing it too soon.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Indeed, and that's why I reckon BG1 and 2 were so successful, as they actually managed to make toom for various ways of playing D&D tabletop-like in a CRPG-format.

"D&D is an amazing experience full of imagination and adventure, but even in the world of limitless fantasy you're going to come across some tropes... even if the cliches are just your fellow players at the table:

download.jpg605345ec20c287eee650bae181f4bf70.jpg

I'm usually called a meta-gamer which has always puzzled me. Just because we have estabilshed that the monster has x AC because we have had people miss at Y, hit at X, and hit at Y does not mean that I'm metagaming. It's even worse when the DM specifically decides to tell us said AC and Saves.

download.jpg487992b9054dadffac465c86cc8c63cc.jpg

download.jpg

I have played with someone like this before, and they were combining it with being an Overcompensator that was Neutral Good. 

download.jpg64c9598715214dc133617a74ad1e7c22.gif

This is generally me, whether I'm a player or a DM. Sadly, most people get pissed when I celebrate actually hitting something. Sure, I may have done minimum damage, but at least I actually hit...

download.jpg70c2a621b877a8a0c6775a20c4fea58e.jpg

download.jpg

I have played in a game with two of these at once, one was mentioned earlier, and they other was a twelve year old Master Ninja girl. I'd expand on that, but I think it's a bit self explanatory. I was the only person in that group that thought it was a problem.

download.jpgd16fe01cfe6d6ee17983116ba6941308.jpg

This one is quite annoying. I have played in three different subsequent groups where we have had this player, and they weren't always eating at the time. It almost always happened in the heavy role playing scenes or in combat, so then we'd then spend the next 20-45 minutes explaining everything, which led to me popping open a book leading to me being accused of this...

People.........

:getlost:

Edited by Vitalis
  • Like 3

It seems unimplemented feature. All classes that can swap at level are unable. And it's been persistent through various hotfixes. Like Fighters are supposed to be able to change bonus feats. Inquisitors are supposed to swap spells. And I would think Bards could, too.

Maybe they'll implement it eventually, but there's no word on them doing it too soon.

I complained about this a few pages back too. I ended up restarting because I wanted to swap out magic missile since my subclass would eventually get it for free.

Free games updated 3/4/21

LOL profit equals success.... ok I guess that makes Bieber and Swift the greatest musicians of all time... and the gent who canned his own poo the greatest artist of all time, Dan Brown and Rowling are clearly much better writers than Orwell and Hemingway....

I could go on, and on... but why bother really... when people completely disregard talent, skill in favor of good marketing...

Don't forget the Skyrim is the greatest RPG to be released, surpassing the **** stain that was BG2.

Without BG2 you wouldn't have Pillars. So be thankful.

LOL profit equals success.... ok I guess that makes Bieber and Swift the greatest musicians of all time... and the gent who canned his own poo the greatest artist of all time, Dan Brown and Rowling are clearly much better writers than Orwell and Hemingway....

I could go on, and on... but why bother really... when people completely disregard talent, skill in favor of good marketing...

Don't forget the Skyrim is the greatest RPG to be released, surpassing the **** stain that was BG2.

Without BG2 you wouldn't have Pillars. So be thankful.

5YwtAc7.jpg

Well that was larger than expected.

Edited by Vitalis

So, I made an elf diviner wizard with... I think I mage his opposing schools necromancy and enchantment. There are good spells in every school, but I think I'll be happy with that configuration. Been a long time since I've played Pathfinder, so I can't remember where 3.x ends and Pathfinder begins. If I remember it right, I'll eventually want to bump up spell penetration, but I decided to eschew that feat for the time being in order to focus on spell DC. I should have enough caster feats to get the spell augmentation ones as I progress and, anyhow, I can't use them until my level is higher. I find intros interminable nowadays, but I hope to get more into the story now that I've gotten past the first multiparty dialogue in which I'm supposed to pretend that I would really want to be the leader of this lot. Apparently, we get the choice about that, so if it avoids the usual scenario where you're forced to be party leader or screwed if you're not, I'm going to let the little obnoxious runt lead the gang.

EDIT: Wow, this game is rockin' so far. Really brings back the feel of the old IE games.

EDIT2: This game has passed one big litmus test. I'm restarting. Anyhow, anyone have an idea for a great Wizard build? I think I'll restart with the exact same build, but I'm kind of curious if there's something more fun/interesting to play. Diviner with opposition schools necromancy/enchanter spell focus and greater spell focus on evocation or conjuration, Lawful Good alignment, and the usual smattering of spells that run the gambit of what I have available from the schools I haven't opposed. Any other ideas? Also, how screwed am I if I play on hard and don't slavishly min/max? I'm going to pump Int up to 20, but I'll probably even out everything to 10 minimum and then probably take a +2 mod on dex and +1 mods on Wis and Cha. That's for roleplay reasons, but if it's a complete waste, then I might go for a more min/max setup if I don't have anything. This is exactly the build I have now, but I want to play over again. I don't mind how it ended up, but I want to see if minor choice differences yield different results.

Edited by Epaminondas
  • Like 1

χαίρετε

So, I made an elf diviner wizard with... I think I mage his opposing schools necromancy and enchantment. There are good spells in every school, but I think I'll be happy with that configuration. Been a long time since I've played Pathfinder, so I can't remember where 3.x ends and Pathfinder begins. If I remember it right, I'll eventually want to bump up spell penetration, but I decided to eschew that feat for the time being in order to focus on spell DC. I should have enough caster feats to get the spell augmentation ones as I progress and, anyhow, I can't use them until my level is higher. I find intros interminable nowadays, but I hope to get more into the story now that I've gotten past the first multiparty dialogue in which I'm supposed to pretend that I would really want to be the leader of this lot. Apparently, we get the choice about that, so if it avoids the usual scenario where you're forced to be party leader or screwed if you're not, I'm going to let the little obnoxious runt lead the gang.

EDIT: Wow, this game is rockin' so far. Really brings back the feel of the old IE games.

EDIT2: This game has passed one big litmus test. I'm restarting. Anyhow, anyone have an idea for a great Wizard build? I think I'll restart with the exact same build, but I'm kind of curious if there's something more fun/interesting to play. Diviner with opposition schools necromancy/enchanter spell focus and greater spell focus on evocation or conjuration, Lawful Good alignment, and the usual smattering of spells that run the gambit of what I have available from the schools I haven't opposed. Any other ideas? Also, how screwed am I if I play on hard and don't slavishly min/max? I'm going to pump Int up to 20, but I'll probably even out everything to 10 minimum and then probably take a +2 mod on dex and +1 mods on Wis and Cha. That's for roleplay reasons, but if it's a complete waste, then I might go for a more min/max setup if I don't have anything. This is exactly the build I have now, but I want to play over again. I don't mind how it ended up, but I want to see if minor choice differences yield different results.

So if you play on Hard without min/maxing the game will be difficult, it's quite shocking. However, if you just set everything to 10 you should be fine.

Quickly scanning over Treantmonk's Treatise of being a God [Wizard], he knows the way, for the tabletop, he rates Divination poorly. Recommended are Evocation (not for the blast spells), Transmutation (buffing and some debuffing), Necromancy (debuffing, ok damage, and minions), Illusion (its great), and finally Conjuration because it's the best.

What does any of that mean for this game? Well, it's nice but it also relies on information not available in the game. Spells, feats, races, the list goes on.

I'd say that Divination wouldn't be my first choice since the main Divination spells kind of rely on the game being tabletop. With the limited spell selection I'm not sure which of the other schools would be better.

I also haven't started as a Wizard, so that also doesn't help.

On a side note, Divine casters do have access to Boneshaker at second level, it's nice but not as table flip enducing as in the tabletop.

So after my first attempt failed, I just managed to played through first act on second attempt and I noticed that game run pretty smooth includin reloads and loading screens in first act but once I get kingdom performance starts dropping pretty fast. I am pretty sure there is some optimalisation problem with kingdom management and I don't understand why it would eat that much, I have seen more complex systems running better on 486...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I have to say I noticed the loading screens do seem to get longer and longer the further you play.

Which, when you're trying to juggle saves back and forth to identify where something has gone wrong or before a bug, it can be very off-putting.

Especially if you find yourself having to bounce between the merchant square, the throne room, and the kingdom management screen. Oh the minute after minute of watching loading screens to tranfer between each....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yup, the further I get in game, the more time I spend offtab due to loading. The kingdom management per se generates way too many loading screens and when I enter my capital, I no longer have the option to warp to the throne room. *sigh*

nvAeseu.png

I watched a lot of the video. It makes me feel solid in my chiice of divination, but I'm wonder if I should chiose a different opposing school than enchantment. Necromancy I won't take for role play reasons. I just can't figure out what else I'd switch in for enchantment. I'm at work at any rate, so I have time to think about,it.

χαίρετε

I have to say I noticed the loading screens do seem to get longer and longer the further you play.

Which, when you're trying to juggle saves back and forth to identify where something has gone wrong or before a bug, it can be very off-putting.

Especially if you find yourself having to bounce between the merchant square, the throne room, and the kingdom management screen. Oh the minute after minute of watching loading screens to tranfer between each....

The Unity engine has a known problem of dropping in performance the more saves you have.