Pathfinder Kingmaker is bigger then Deadfire

The issue as I see it, is not the crazy encounter table, but inability to escape encounter. I have done some GMing as well, and I had on my encounter table also few unbeatable encounters. But the players had always option to either run away (PF has rules for withdraw and run to run away for a limited time for 3x your Movement speed on normal terrain without big obstacles). Or just use some other mechanics and stay undetectable (big cats can run 4x movement speed :p) for example, ranger will use his survival skill to find out how the wind blows, and if it blows in the correct way, they can just lay prone in high grass, and stay silent until the monsters are gone, before the wind changes :)

You do get access to a bunch of Vanish / Invisibility type potions, and as I recall they can allow you to break combat which lets you run away and leave the map on random encounters.

Plus, within a few levels, you'll have someone with Knowledge:Nature high enough to start spotting them and allow you the choice of evading or fighting.

I only noticed the silly slaughter high random encounters (of elder elemental types) if you had reaaaally wandered far afield from where you were in the story arc.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

You can't really wonder THAT far off track in Act 1 though right? I got this insane encounter between Oleg's and Technic League camp, and if you can deal with the actual content in the area, it suggests you aren't way out of where you should be, imo. If they popped up to imply: WHOA: UR 2 Lo Lvl Bruh. Get outta here! it would make sense xD Also, the evade encounter seems to have a higher chance of failing on the OP encounters.

nvAeseu.png

The content is a bit mismatched though. I mean, there's a Lich on the map with kobolds, uber-strong Wererats near your Act 1 quest areas, or Enraged Owlbears (and a group of a high level Fey) on a map that otherwise has mostly wolves. The zones don't have a consistent difficulty and I really dislike that, because it feels like a step back even compared to the first Baldur's Gate game.

The content is a bit mismatched though. I mean, there's a Lich on the map with kobolds, uber-strong Wererats near your Act 1 quest areas, or Enraged Owlbears (and a group of a high level Fey) on a map that otherwise has mostly wolves. The zones don't have a consistent difficulty and I really dislike that, because it feels like a step back even compared to the first Baldur's Gate game.

I am opposite, I quite like that there are areas which you have hard time at start. And same apply to Baldurs gate, for example you cam get to lighthouse area full of sirens on LVL 1 if you move south from place where you loose Gorin, its like what, 3 maps away?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I am opposite, I quite like that there are areas which you have hard time at start. And same apply to Baldurs gate, for example you cam get to lighthouse area full of sirens on LVL 1 if you move south from place where you loose Gorin, its like what, 3 maps away?

got to admit I gave up on BG due to having newer games to play, but can't you run away from stuff in that game?

nvAeseu.png

got to admit I gave up on BG due to having newer games to play, but can't you run away from stuff in that game?

not if you got mind controled :)

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Let us not forget that in the Greatest CRPG Of All Time, Baldur's Gate II, there's a lich behind a secret door in an inn. Let me just say that when I first encountered it, I was not prepared, level-wise, and did not do well. It was essentially impossible to do anything else except die.

• Like 2

Let us not forget that in the Greatest CRPG Of All Time, Fallout, there's a deathclaw in an easy to reach basement. Let me just say that when I first encountered it, I was not prepared, level-wise, and did not do well. It was essentially impossible to do anything else except die.

Well, to be fair, just because Fallout did it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea y'know - it does seem like a whole bunch of people consider every single design decision of these old RPGs a good one, even when that's blatantly not the case.
  • Like 2

Amazingly, patch 1.06 is already here:

Hotfix 1.0.6 – October, 5th 2018

5 oktober -
Hello everyone!

The weekend is coming, and the team is doing its best to solve some more issues before our dear pathfinders will have well-deserved opportunity to relax and play after another long workweek. It happens we have a chance to publish one more hotfix today.

Please, be aware that there are plot spoilers in the descriptions below (in the Quest, Areas and Kingdom sections)!

Quests
  • The Secluded Lodge area has an empty caption on the Global Map during the "Deal with the Devil" quest. Resolution: fixed.
  • The option to give an Emerald Necklace to Kimo was not available. Resolution: fixed.
  • "A Score to Settle" quest did not work correctly if the player met Ekun after Kargadd was killed. Resolution: fixed.
  • Some quest characters did not appear at the Capital Square during companion quests under certain circumstances. Resolution: fixed.

Areas
  • In some cases, players couldn't return Bartholomew his whip. Resolution: fixed.
  • Some players complained about a missing part of the Storyteller dialogue in the Throne Room – there was no option to sell mementos. Resolution: fixed.
  • Flintlock Grasslands area will no longer be inaccessible after all events are completed in that location (this is to reduce the size of save files).
  • In some cases, after the dialogue with Amiri at the end of Flintlock Grasslands only Amiri stayed under player's control - the rest of the party could go missing. Resolution: fixed.
  • Incorrect loot icon on the Map of Old Sycamore Dungeon (no loot was available, in fact). Resolution: fixed.
  • The wrong dialogue could start with captive Amiri at Flintlock Grasslands. Resolution: fixed.
  • Some area elements could be loaded incorrectly during the "Burying the Past" quest at Ruined Watchtower. Resolution: fixed.
  • Bartholomew's dialogue at Wizard's Laboratory could sometimes display incorrect answer options. Resolution: fixed.
  • One of the options in the dialogue with Alex Covenorb was recursive and didn't allow to end the dialogue. Resolution: fixed.
  • Bartholomew related events could become broken in case of his early death from the Troll/bandits/random monsters. Resolution: fixed.
  • The player could miss a few important doors at the Sepulcher of Forgotten Heroes area. Resolution: the doors are highlighted to draw the player's attention.

Items
  • Save/load could corrupt items in the Baron's chest - they lost their magical features until the next save/load while they are in the party Inventory. Resolution: fixed. All items that were corrupted have been restored.
  • There were no options to learn feats to use the following exotic weapons: Dwarven Urgrosh, Gnome Hooked Hammer, Orc Double Axe, Two-bladed Sword. Resolution: "Exotic Weapon Proficiency" feat has the corresponding choices now.
  • Such exotic weapons as the Gnome Hooked Hammer, Orc Double Axe и Sling Staff were not counted as special weapon for gnomes, half-orcs and halflings accordingly. Resolution: fixed.

User Interfaces
  • There were issues with "Combat text", "Party information in combat", "Enemy information in combat" (so called Overtips settings) and "Dialogue" settings : 1) players did not understand that these settings are stored within the save file; 2) the value of these settings could be changed by switching "Immersion Mode". Resolution: the Overtips and "Dialogue" settings are moved to "Difficulty" page of the Options. Difficulty page is no longer available form Main Menu.
  • Cleric couldn't be level-upped if there were no options in domain progression. Resolution: fixed.
  • Spells from another character’s spells list could show up during a caster level-up. Resolution: fixed.
  • Key binding for the tactical pause is displayed correctly in the tutorial message now.

Kingdom
  • The "Invincible Kingdom" option was added. When turned on, your barony or kingdom will not be destroyed even when its state drops below Crumbling. This option is switched on by default for the "Story mode" difficulty. Please note that story critical events tied to the main threat of the chapter can still destroy your kingdom! However, you will get several warnings before that happens.
  • The artisan Bokken would come every time you get to the Throne Room with the same dialogue. Resolution: fixed.
  • Different cutscenes would sometimes start at the same time at Throne Room. Resolution: fixed for all new save files. Be aware that the current saves may still suffer from this issue, unfortunately.
  • Some visitors (artisans) had wrong dialogues at Throne Room. Resolution: fixed.

Classes
  • Characters lost Protection From Energy effect after load. Resolution: fixed.
    Misc
  • Wrong sound effects for druid wild shape transformations. Resolution: fixed.
    New pack of localization fixes for FR, DE, ZH (mostly).
Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 4

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

the feyspeaker "fix" is borking Gromnir's current play.  we made harrim a feyspeaker.  'course now the main attribute for the class has been changed.  ten charisma is kinda why we switched harrim from cleric to druid.  ten charisma for a 1.0.6 feyspeaker is even worse than a ten charisma cleric as spell dc for feyspeaker is now charisma based and spell memorization requires 10+charisma level.  

am lamenting absence o' pillars-style respec. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

@Gromnir: That was unfortunate, to say the least. In NWN2, there weren't any respeccing offered in-game, but very soon a save game character editor was made, so in those rare case when one really needed to adjust something important statwise, you just opened that editor and changed the number(s). Very convenient. Hopefully, there is one. Otherwise, it's just a question of time. 

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I'm partial to Inquisitors myself, mostly because I never got into Alchemists, someone managed to get Warpriest (they're also not in the game) banned, Clerics Crusaders only have being a Cleric going for them, and Anti-Paladins (CE) are just awful.

There's a certain amount of style at being able to swift cast Divine Favor/Protection from Alignment/Shield of Faith as a Warpriest. The class does make Paladins obsolete however. It does share the militant arm of the faith with the Inquisitor though, but I find it more fitting for Gorrun and *War Gods in your Favorite setting here*.

I'm also pulling for more official portraits too. I find it too distracting to have a portrait that doesn't match the art style of everyone else in the game.

Edited by Vitalis

So how is everyone handling the advisors?  I remember seeing one of the dev's somewhere saying that every advisor position has 3 possible characters to handle it.. But, eh, I haven't found them for all 10 advisor positions so far..

Regent :  Octavia, Valerie,

Councillor : Tristian,

General : Regongar, Ameri, Kassil (npc),

Treasurer : Jubilost, Bartolomew (npc), Maegar (npc),

High Priest : Harrim, Jhod (npc),

Grand Diplomat :Valerie, Linzi, Bartolomew (npc),

Magister : Octavia, Storyteller (npc),

Warden : Ekundayo, Regongar, Kesten (npc),

Curator : Linzi, Jaethral, Storyteller (npc),

Minister : Jubilost, Ekundayo, Jaethal,

• Like 2

So how is everyone handling the advisors?  I remember seeing one of the dev's somewhere saying that every advisor position has 3 possible characters to handle it.. But, eh, I haven't found them for all 10 advisor positions so far..

Regent :  Octavia, Valerie,

Councillor : Tristian,

General : Regongar, Ameri, Kassil (npc),

Treasurer : Jubilost, Bartolomew (npc), Maegar (npc),

High Priest : Harrim, Jhod (npc),

Grand Diplomat :Valerie, Linzi, Bartolomew (npc),

Magister : Octavia, Storyteller (npc),

Warden : Ekundayo, Regongar, Kesten (npc),

Curator : Linzi, Jaethral, Storyteller (npc),

Minister : Jubilost, Ekundayo, Jaethal,

councillor the other 2 are the lamashtu priestess and the one old bat you can take as an envoy. Magister is the sadistic mage in the troll chapter. High priest, again the Lamashtu priestess. Regent, the teen you can take as an envoy.

As you can tell, I'm bad at names and too lazy to look them up lmao. Oh and the undead cyclops can be magister.

Edited by Slotharingia

nvAeseu.png

There's a certain amount of style at being able to swift cast Divine Favor/Protection from Alignment/Shield of Faith as a Warpriest. The class does make Paladins obsolete however. It does share the militant arm of the faith with the Inquisitor though, but I find it more fitting for Gorrun and *War Gods in your Favorite setting here*.

an inquisitor of gorum, with 3ish levels o' thug, is 'bout as fitting as we can imagine as a divine focused follower o' gorum in kingmaker.  a greatsword wielding inquisitor o' gorum with the stern gaze intimidate bonus, coupled with dazzling display, shatter defense and cornugon smash has you striking down cowards and those fleeing battle with devastating effect. play human and take heavy armour proficiency at level 1.  sure, warpriest might be a bit more op, but as for fulfilling the role o' a devotee o' gorum, the inquisitor/thug is gonna be tough to surpass the admitted subjective measure o' "fitting."

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

councillor the other 2 are the lamashtu priestess and the one old bat you can take as an envoy. Magister is the sadistic mage in the troll chapter. High priest, again the Lamashtu priestess. Regent, the teen you can take as an envoy.

As you can tell, I'm bad at names and too lazy to look them up lmao. Oh and the undead cyclops can be magister.

Hm, weird. The sadistic mage from the troll chapter (Bartolomew) can only be Treasurer or Grand Diplomat for me.

• Like 1