Pathfinder Kingmaker is bigger then Deadfire

One feature I am really missing (or I am stupid and missed it) is that I am unnable to inspect enemies to check if my debufs are still on them. Its really anoying to pay so much attention to combat log to check if they make save roll

• Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

PE series is alright. But, KM is clearly  a superior game. It isn't perfect, though, but it is definitely heck of fun. But, yeah, enjoy both if you can. I finished both PEs but didn't bother with their expansions/additions.

The DLCs are pretty good. Everyone I saw talking about Beast of Winter's story says it's better than the one in the main game. And SSS has some interesting combats, much more difficult than the base game.

Btw, did they say anything about what are the DLC plans for Kingmaker?

sign.jpg

PE series is alright. But, KM is clearly a superior game. It isn't perfect, though, but it is definitely heck of fun. But, yeah, enjoy both if you can. I finished both PEs but didn't bother with their expansions/additions.

The DLCs are pretty good. Everyone I saw talking about Beast of Winter's story says it's better than the one in the main game. And SSS has some interesting combats, much more difficult than the base game.

Btw, did they say anything about what are the DLC plans for Kingmaker?

I know they've said that they will likely add more races and Pathfinder classes with the DLC.

• Like 3

The reviews are picking up again, the game is succeeding at a rapid rate.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

They're putting out hotfixes rapidly, but each seems to cause a spectacular bug of their own.

On today's menu, invisible spell selection at level up! When leveling and getting to choose spells, the panel appears blank. They're there, just invisible. How spooky.

• Like 5
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hm. I might have to take a break from Kingmaker for a bit now, ran into a bug in the Twice-Born Warlord quest. Amiri leaves the party to do something, but for some reason once that's done and dusted she's not re-joining the party. Just lurking there running an old conversation over and over.

So rather than play on, then have to replay it all later when the bug gets fixed, I think I'll just pause for a bit and see when it gets sorted.

My plan is to wait at least a month. But I intend to play the tutorial a couple of times to see how my party turns out.

Ok, who am I trying to fool, once I start I won't be able to stop. :p

• Like 5

sign.jpg

They're putting out hotfixes rapidly, but each seems to cause a spectacular bug of their own.

On today's menu, invisible spell selection at level up! When leveling and getting to choose spells, the panel appears blank. They're there, just invisible. How spooky.

Tis the season for a ghostly adventure ;)
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Phew! Finally, my Eldritch Scion, only fighting with her bare hands (except rare occasions, with a torch, and later a long sword), managed to conquer the Stolen Lands sufficiently and get the barony. :)

GngXSu.jpg

Reaching lvl 4 took me 20h, and that was just about exactly when I walked into the Stag Lord's fortress. And that…

...was much harder than expected. Like 1 h real game-time earlier, I had found two new companions, which I did allow joining my party.

First, there were waves of zombies and zombie lords, so I had to kill off Laethal on purpose and then wrangle them into a huge clump, only to pump Harrim's harm undead spell 4 times, IIRC. It worked swimmingly!

Then, we climbed over the palisade. recruited the help of a guy that had been following us around here and there in the Stolen Lands, and in a pen, we managed to recruit an Owlbear, which was like a Sherman tank (without it, we wouldn't have managed to kill the Stag Lord).

My strategy:

After releasing the owlbear, I buffed my party, using my wand of mage armor, and I had our recruited guy run up and attack the archer on the left platform.

thrJDe.jpg

Behind him, Linzi ran up with her wand of magic missiles and started shooting the Stag Lord on the right platform over and over.

kwgPHp.jpg

cRskkH.jpg

Basically, I sacrificed her, having her keeping the Stag Lord occupied, while the Owl Bear mowed down bandits beneath him - it almost made it to the lord himself.

And my entire team snuck under the platform, and then ran up and started rattling his bones and then hacking the Stag Lord to pieces.

JSf1wJ.jpg

Cba0r1.jpg

Overall, my party have had huge success picking our Neutral and Chaotic Neutral options in dialogues and scripted interactions.

I've had oodles of fun playing the game so far. Now, onto Act 2, so many choices!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Phew! Finally, my Eldritch Scion, only fighting with her bare hands (except rare occasions, with a torch, and later a long sword), managed to conquer the Stag Lord and get the barony. :)

GngXSu.jpg

Reaching lvl 4 took me 20h, and that was just about exactly when I walked into the Stag Lord's fortress. And that…

...was much harder than expected. Like 1 h real game-time earlier, I had found two new companions, which I did allow joining my party.

First, there were waves of zombies and zombie lords, so I had to kill off Laethal on purpose and then wrangle them into a huge clump, only to pump Harrim's harm undead spell 4 times, IIRC. It worked swimmingly!

Then, we climbed over the palisade. recruited the help of a guy that had been following us around here and there in the Stolen Lands, and in a pen, we managed to recruit an Owlbear, which was like a Sherman tank (without it, we wouldn't have managed to kill the Stag Lord).

My strategy:

After releasing the owlbear, I buffed my party, using my wand of mage armor, and I had our recruited guy run up and attack the archer on the left platform.

thrJDe.jpg

Behind him, Linzi ran up with her wand of magic missiles and started shooting the Stag Lord on the right platform over and over.

kwgPHp.jpg

cRskkH.jpg

Basically, I sacrificed her, having her keeping the Stag Lord occupied, while the Owl Bear mowed down bandits beneath him - it almost made it to the lord himself.

And my entire team snuck under the platform, and then ran up and started rattling his bones and then hacking the Stag Lord to pieces.

JSf1wJ.jpg

Cba0r1.jpg

Overall, my party have had huge success picking our Neutral and Chaotic Neutral options in dialogues and scripted interactions.

I've had oodles of fun playing the game so far. Now, onto Act 2, so many choices!

When I got to the Zombies my entire party got wiped out except for Valerie in her Full Plate +1. She then proceeded to take no damage and slowly 1-3 hit all of the zombies until victory.

• Like 3

When I got to the Zombies my entire party got wiped out except for Valerie in her Full Plate +1. She then proceeded to take no damage and slowly 1-3 hit all of the zombies until victory.

I love such moments when a specific character is used in a very specific way, and then your plan come into fruition and succeeds! That's the very definition of a MVP.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Started playing again with the new patch only to find that my spell selection list is blank at level up. The spell descriptions are there when I hover over where the spells should be and the spells do appear in my spell book if I select them but man is that annoying

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Started playing again with the new patch only to find that my spell selection list is blank at level up. The spell descriptions are there when I hover over where the spells should be and the spells do appear in my spell book if I select them but man is that annoying

Apparently patch 1.04 didn't work correctly for Windows so they're trying to fix that.

Edited by Vitalis
  • Like 1

Or you can buy alchemist fire flasks, but why do that when you can whine because the game is "too hard".

The game gives you a hint and a couple of flasks, it's your fault if you refuse to make use of them not the games.

Except that the flasks only do 1 damage if you're playing on anything above normal.

I'm not "whining", there are legitimate problems with the game but you're too blind to admit it.

Edited by Murp

Or you can buy alchemist fire flasks, but why do that when you can whine because the game is "too hard".

The game gives you a hint and a couple of flasks, it's your fault if you refuse to make use of them not the games.

Except that the flasks only do 1 damage if you're playing on anything above normal.

I'm not "whining", there are legitimate problems with the game but you're too blind to admit it.

Yes, that Pathfinder wasn't designed for you to play with upscaled enemies.

Imagine my shock.

The fact that they 'fixed' the swarm issue by having the quest giver gift you TEN  flask oils tells you all you need to know about that fight. I beat it ebfore the patches so this isn't me 'whining'. But, if you need to  use 10 items to beat a quest that is clearly a 'beginning' quest there's an issue there.

I finally reached level, have all custom npcs (man that is expensive0 and now on my way to beta up stag lord with 24 days on the limit left. :p

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Like 20 min ago, a hotfix for the hotfix was released:

Graphic settings now saving. Spells visible. Among other stuff, apparently.

Nice!

EDIT: I just realized that this fix means that they were working on the problem in the middle of the night over there. Kudos to them for their dedication!

@Volourn: I had 26 days on the clock when I offed the Stag Lord, since I had been lollygagging far too much in among the forest and the random encounters.

I actually felt that time pressure a bit.

• Like 1

KM is basically NWN2 2.0. PE was different beast. I think PE was better story wise, KM is classic PnP adventure. I liked PoE visuals more.

I couldn't agree more!

Well, POE1, story-wise.

I'm really happy about the PnP feel. Being a PnP player that only later began playing CRPGs, I've always appreciated the slightly less fluid and the more strategy board game feel to it all.

In certain respects, CRPGs like the PoEs, play themselves a bit more. They certainly look the part in so many ways, but they've evolved into more modern games. Here, there are more semi-hard counters and true hard counters. Also, I find that the combat rounds - those 6 seconds - matter more. For instance, knowing that quaffing a potion takes just 3 seconds, meaning that you can perform a few other basic combat actions within 1 combat round, is useful, and something to consider during an encounter.

• Like 4

Food for thought!

A few interesting forum quotes and other comments, I've garnered:

From a seasoned Pathfinder DM:

"I’ve played about 10 hours so far and I’d say it’s quite good, at least as far as a pathfinder -> CRPG translation can be. It does a good job translating the feel of a pen and paper tabletop adventure to the computer with a lot of skill check encounters, narration, fantasy tropes etc.. Some people complain that the setting and adventure are ‘stale’ but considering the intent was to translate the experience of a traditional Pathfinder campaign to the computer I’d say those ‘tired’ tropes are charming and probably necessary. I’m a long time pathfinder DM and I’ve had a lot of fun. Character creation and management is exactly faithful to the pathfinder players manual which I think is pretty refreshing considering the somewhat simplified or video-gameified player management systems on a lot of new CRPGs like pillars or Tyranny. Overall I’d recommend it to anyone who is a fan of tabletop RPGs like pathfinder, but if you aren’t into the whole wonky pen-and-paper shtick you might have issues."

From a dev:

"The harder levels (Hard, Challening, Unfair) require optimized min/max characters and a deep understanding in the meta of the pathfinder rules."

From a CRPG BG player veteran:

"Tbh, I like story and companions in Kingmaker more than in PoE2, and combat in Pathfinder is so massively better than it's not even comparable.

People look at BG through nostalgia glasses, but it was exactly the same. I remember like it was yesterday, how my first sub-optimal party in BG was wiped by a first enemy they encountered, an assassin that was waiting for your main character near tavern's entrance. I rage-quit after not being able to beat him, and didn't pick up the game until couple of years later, when I got access to the internet and was actually able to find the strats and builds online.

Pathfinder is the same, it's super challenging, and unlike PoE it actually requires you to use your brain, and most importantly learn the systems, gain meta-knowledge, to be able to comfortably beat it on standard difficulty. And I love it. People whine about it, because they're used to modern PoE-style games, so they think something must be wrong if they can't beat an encounter on normal difficulty.

But honestly, I don't get the whining, because difficulty settings are so flexible that you can make it easy as PoE story mode, so mostly I think it's hurting their pride, and they can't get over it.

And if you actually take your time to learn the system extensively, Pathfinder combat is more rewarding than any RPG I played since BG 2, and even than BG 2 itself."

Like Raithe, someone having played the game longer than 30h, and into more Acts:

"I think I'm farther in than everyone else here that gave a time, 30ish hours. Stop everybody! That 10 hour mark is where all the bugs start!"

Yikes!

• Like 5

On DLCs planned:

One DLC will add new classes, one will add new areas, and one is currently kept under the wraps.

“We have different approaches and different ideas. Right now we’re planning for the first three DLCs. All of them will be devoted to different types of content. Some will add new classes. Some will add new areas and some will … well, that would be spoiling.”

Even though the game will launch with 14 playable classes, the studio says that they’ll be incorporating more classes from the huge Pathfinder roster.

“We have fourteen classes in the game but there are dozens of them in the Pathfinder universe and each member of the team has a favourable class, archetypes and things like that. So they all want to add them into the game and right now we’re considering more classes, spells and abilities for the game as downloadable content.”

• Like 1

>add new classes

>there is no respec

I think I've restarted enough times already :( Then again I come up with a new build daily so I pretty much do Act 1 from memory at this point.

Yeah, that's the curse inherent in these games. In many ways, it's one of the best parts, but it can wear on you as well. Usually, I am a compulsory restarter, but since Pathfinder has quite a bit of new stuff to me, relatively speaking, I'm just treating this entire first playthrough as my session with training wheels (pretty wise, considering, all the bugs I'm expecting to run into). So far, I haven't multi-classed any character, and it wouldn't surprise me if I'll let them stay single class all the way, while I'm getter a better grasp of it all. Sure is fun, though.

• Like 1

I have heavily thought about restarting as well. I made my main an Arcane Trickster which is annoyingly enough exactly what Octavia is also set up for and there's no pure arcane caster NPC. Linzi is nice and all but she's a Bard and the Eldritch Scion's not really made for being your main artillery and buffer/debuffer.

Lagging that one spell level behind needed to fulfill the Arcane Trickster requirement hurts a bit and outside of buying a sorcerer there's no real solution. I'm tempted to restart as Sorc. I also don't feel replacing Linzi with a custom made sorcerer would be much of a solution. Linzi's fine as a bard and a nice support caster.

Ideally I'd remove the rogue/wizard from the party but hey, that's my PC. Woops. ;)

On the other hand now that I've found the Devourer of Metal Ekundayo is literally one-shotting enemies so what the hell...

Anyway, is it just me or are the prestige classes a bit underwhelming?

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.