Pathfinder Kingmaker is bigger then Deadfire

Oh my..

Oh deer.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Do they? Do they really?  The game has potential but if anyojne things it Is better than Western RPGs like BG series, FO series (1 and 2), they better think again.

And, why are you pro Russia? theya re a bunch of election hackers. You must be one of their paid minions that hacked the US election via facebook spam.

P.S. Again, this game has good stuff in it but also really bad. Bugs and the horrific writing being the top two.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Do they? Do they really? The game has potential but if anyojne things it Is better than Western RPGs like BG series, FO series (1 and 2), they better think again.

And, why are you pro Russia? theya re a bunch of election hackers. You must be one of their paid minions that hacked the US election via facebook spam.

P.S. Again, this game has good stuff in it but also really bad. Bugs and the horrific writing being the top two.

Well, they did have Chris Avellone...

So I backed this game and boy uh I guess I hate it? I really want to keep playing but there are so many horrible things about it that make me want to tear my hair out.

Going around the map is really tedious and with fatigue setting you have to stop and camp or your stats get shot to high hell. The difficulty is all over the place and the settings are vague as to what's a good challenge and what's nigh impossible. Even with an optimized party you will miss 90% of the time while one lowly bandit can KO your entire party with three crits in a row.

The alignment system is extremely cumbersome in certain circumstances. One party member is a cleric of a "neutral" deity and when responding to his faith the good option is to insult him, the neutral option is to make fun of him, and the "evil" option is to respect his beliefs.

I know this is a new game with a new company and I really want to like it, but it really seems like they had no Idea what a CRPG needs to be today for it to be enjoyable in the slightest.

So I backed this game and boy uh I guess I hate it? I really want to keep playing but there are so many horrible things about it that make me want to tear my hair out.

Going around the map is really tedious and with fatigue setting you have to stop and camp or your stats get shot to high hell. The difficulty is all over the place and the settings are vague as to what's a good challenge and what's nigh impossible. Even with an optimized party you will miss 90% of the time while one lowly bandit can KO your entire party with three crits in a row.

The alignment system is extremely cumbersome in certain circumstances. One party member is a cleric of a "neutral" deity and when responding to his faith the good option is to insult him, the neutral option is to make fun of him, and the "evil" option is to respect his beliefs.

I know this is a new game with a new company and I really want to like it, but it really seems like they had no Idea what a CRPG needs to be today for it to be enjoyable in the slightest.

I think this is a game that's really fun....in six months. To be fair I did restart and after pumping nature for rations and buying a **** ton at the trading post it's been a much better experience. 

• Like 1

I think this is a game that's really fun....in six months. To be fair I did restart and after pumping nature for rations and buying a **** ton at the trading post it's been a much better experience.

Yeah that's gonna be ruff. I was really hoping to get into it.

I've only managed to squeeze in one more hour, but I still really love the game.

And stuff that I read that so many others hate over at the Owlcat Forums are stuff that I'm so happy about:

Like in PnP, the Owlcats have made monsters varied and often souped up. Normal goblins would have AC16, for instance, but here they often have Studded Leather, AC18, and there are even early ones with even better armor (AC 24!). Sure, that makes the game less predictable and even more frustrating at lower levels: "What the heck? I can't slaughter a few gobs?"

I really hope that they don't lower the difficulty in Act 1, but it seems I'm in the minority. We'll see.

Quest timers aren't very fun, I agree, and perhaps they can tone stuff like that down a bit. 

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I have to admit, some of the alignment links to conversation options can surprise me some.

Sympathising with a man over his dead wife and kids gets labelled as "lawful good"...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have to admit, some of the alignment links to conversation options can surprise me some.

Sympathising with a man over his dead wife and kids gets labelled as "lawful good"...

Heh, don't even go there. Playing any kind of D&D or Pathfinder with these alignments, well, they are always wonky and contrived, at best! Still fun(ny) overall, though.

As for the rest: What I fear is that the "game's too hard" crowd will make the Owlcats rashly lower the difficulty too much, and that's why we can't have nice things.

I just to have to quote this post from the Owlcat forums regarding the difficulty:

"I'm a Pathfinder GM and I have been running this very adventure path (Kingmaker) for more than a year. We are currently in the 3rd book. The Owlcat game is very true to the original adventure path and to the Pathfinder rules. Is it difficult? Hell yes. Is it unbalanced? Sure it is. It is supposed to be that way. You don't gather your party to venture into the unknown and expect that all the foes that you meet to be the same level as you (or easy), do you?

Why people that think the game is too difficult don't just change it to easy?"

I prefer cautious over gung-ho.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 6

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I mean I'd argue that's more of a neutral good option but whatever

Do they? Do they really? The game has potential but if anyojne things it Is better than Western RPGs like BG series, FO series (1 and 2), they better think again.

Well, they did have Chris Avellone...

I think MCA only wrote some companions

MCA's work on P:KM, according to interview in RPGamer:

"Chris Avellone: Alexander Mishulin is the Creative Director, Alexander Komzolov is the lead writer. I’m one of the writers reporting to the Alexanders, but I’m not the lead writer on the game, no, and there are many other writers on the project for sure.

I worked with the Alexanders to do passes of the story to expand it from the pen and paper roots so people who had played the original adventure path would still have some new content. We worked out the underlying theme for the story as well. In addition, some elements of the pen and paper path were taken in new directions to make them more suited for evil playstyles, which was fun. I also worked with the designers on setting up the pen and paper quest arcs with the new companion quests across the game (the companions add a lot), and gave feedback on the companions as well.

As for writing companions, I got the parameters of the “goblin rogue” (the companions weren’t named at the outset, and I did help with naming companions). From that, I was able to flesh out additional elements of his backstory, look, etc. and then I wrote Nok-Nok from start to finish. Nok-Nok’s one-paragraph character arc had already been approved by the license holder before I came on board (and same with some of the other story elements), but Alexander Komzolov and I agreed to change aspects about Nok-Nok afterwards even though his general arc remained the same (and some specific conclusions to his companion quest).

I also did the style guide, the module (on 2nd draft now), helped coordinate some aspects of the editing team (we had two editors who worked on the English versions), helped with UI text, and writing and edits on about 150+ other characters.

I didn’t work on the systems for the game, so a lot of the questions to follow that involve systems Alexander Mishulin will weigh in, as he was heading those up in addition to overseeing the rest of the product.

I like working with Owlcat a lot, it’s been a good experience. I hope more Pathfinder games follow after Kingmaker. : )"

So, MCA wrote one companion, Nok-Nok. I really like his Kaelyn the Dove in MoTB, so I'll definitely give this character a go later.

• Like 2

Mercs still not fixed, sad panda

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I've been trying to download the game for 4 days. It keeps restarting at ~20GB.

The general consensus here is that it would be wise to wait for patches?

I fear so, but personally, I couldn't be stopped playing this game, even if wild horses were dragging me in the opposite direction.

Serious answer: That is a wise thing to do, generally.

• Like 1

Just hit level 5 (again) in my new playthrough but I wasn't able to get a couple companions this time around

I'm about to be named baron but I never got the Technic camp to show up to pick up Octavia and Regongar who I had at this point in my first game. Dunno if it's a bug or I just missed something but I've walked to every node I can reach and explored every map that I could before moving on.

I couldn't find it either, so I looked its location up on the internet. I haven't checked it out yet, but according to what I've found, it should be available after you've had an encounter with some of those guys. Which I've had, so I'm going to try and free Amiri later today.

it can be found if you travel to Thorn Ford and go west, northwest, southwest, and southwest again from there.

Edited by LittleRose

"Let's not forget that PoE was unplayable mess for several patches."

FAKE NEWS.

Again, Kingmaker is a good game. It could be great.  The bugs are ridiculous and the writing simply is subpar. I simply can't take some of the characters silly. Just talk to that one barbarian about her tribe. It is ridiculous. Or the one female fighter who claims to be 'most beautiful woman in the world' which is completely unbelievable. L0L  Owlcat pretends to be SJW but their wiritng comes acorss as cleary anti woman as it seems to be mocking, belittle, and condescend to them. It says a lot that the vampire and the little story teller with the annoying voice are the better female characters. L0L

I love the travel and the cmapijng but rations are ridiculous weight wise. :p

Combat is fun with many options. I don't mind challenging combat but the way they go about it is silly and poor DMing. I mean, low level  bandits and enemies that have the equivelant of STR or DEX 34? that is friggin' dragon  super high level characters. ACs and attack bonus of +20?

That said, anyone com-plaining about UNFAIR is UNFAIR need to learn how to read.

FIX THE DAMN HIRING THE HIRINGS BUG.

• Like 7

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I've really only encountered one outright bug so far, and that's a side-quest one - Bokken and the alchemical formula. He goes a little mad from testing potions and you have to wrestle him down, but in my game I reduce him to zero health but he just keeps getting back up and fighting on and on. Pretty much leave it for half an hour and it doesn't do anything. If I walk away from him, I get the green tick box saying it's been done...but he's still agressively mad enemy and no quest followup happens.

So I just re-loaded and skipped around it for the moment rather then proceed with it.

The rest of it seems to be going fairly smoothly.

• Like 1

The weight of the rations is indeed overkill.

I'd say the writing is a bit comical, generic, and even cheesy, but I'm old enough to remember what vanilla BG1 felt when it came out. The writing is actually in that ballpark, at least if I compare the start and the NPCs/companions available early on. Most of it, I still find entertaining and fitting, and it certainly suffices.

This game will only get better. And those of you with impressive self-discipline will have a CRPG gem in 6 months, mark my words.

• Like 2

Also, quote for the day when in conversation with the Priestess of Lamashtu and you have Valerie and Octavia along :

"Could we please bypass the theological debates about which cult has better orgies?"

• Like 4

Just hit level 5 (again) in my new playthrough but I wasn't able to get a couple companions this time around

I'm about to be named baron but I never got the Technic camp to show up to pick up Octavia and Regongar who I had at this point in my first game. Dunno if it's a bug or I just missed something but I've walked to every node I can reach and explored every map that I could before moving on.

I couldn't find it either, so I looked its location up on the internet. I haven't checked it out yet, but according to what I've found, it should be available after you've had an encounter with some of those guys. Which I've had, so I'm going to try and free Amiri later today.

it can be found if you travel to Thorn Ford and go west, northwest, southwest, and southwest again from there.

I got the encounter and the location on my first game which I abandoned not long after getting my barony but I never got the encounter or location in my second game and I ran around and slept in the area for weeks. I'm thinking maybe it was a bug and speaking of which this is one of the buggier experiences I've had at launch and I play most Obsidian games... though to be fair I've never had any problems with them so my Obsidian experience may be atypical.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I wonder what it is like to play as Lawful Evil. Will you be forced to be evil every time? Or can you play as a more careful villain, that does some good to keep the subjects of the kingdom well behaved?

sign.jpg