Pathfinder Kingmaker is bigger then Deadfire

Everyone who bitched about Deadfire being too easy needs to buy this. I'm on normal and not far enough to really say (my orc thug hasn't gone down yet, but one of the companions did - luckily she left the team shortly after), but the reviews/steam forum are teaming with peple complaining it's too hard, so it should satisfy all those people who complain about filthy casuals and too easy games :p  I'll likely end up on story mode if they are right :biggrin:

• Like 5

nvAeseu.png

I went ahead and bought the Imperial edition. I love the party split at the end of the tutorial. I got most of what I wanted, Barbarian girl, vampire cutie, and some tower shield lady. Kind of wanted the Dwarf instead, but I'll take her.

But why is that girl journaling as if she's in my party?

I had the hardest time deciding between Magus and Sorcerer. Magus looks like it has MAD issues so I gave up on it.

A neutral evil vampire cutie? Well well well.

And as per tradition you can't romance her. Curse this hollow world.

Alas, when will our demands for Viconia 2.0 be heard?

On reflection, I'm thinking about restarting as a Magus. Someone convince me not to.

Is a stat hog, you will need to invest on fighter and wizard skills to make any viable build and you will still get your ass handed to you because you're a front line fighter without the proper stats to back it up. If you're serious about it I would recommend picking the ranged option and play it as an arcane archer.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I just think sword and spell are cool. :(

Bow and spell is lame.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hi everyone, could someone explain for me in short - what the difference between 3.5 from NWN and 3.5 from Pathfinder, is something like Bard/Blackguard/RDD or Cleric/Bard/Monk still possible ? Is UMD/Acrobatic/Spellcasting/Discipline still required for all top tier builds ?

Pathfinder is not 3.5. It’s upgrade from 3.5 under Open Gaming License, so people are calling it sometimes 3.75. Basic difference is, you get feats every odd level in Pathfinder, compared to every 3 levels in 3.5.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

heh, got into some trading post, game throw at me 8 attackers while I have 4 lvl 2 characters, died in that encounter already 4 times and it seems like its first real encounter, not sure what to do differently as game position my characters before battle so I can't do basically anything differently, weird

There are also traps that you can put down that instantly kill the bandits

Can sorcs not switch out spells at level up in Pathfinder? I picked magic missile at creation even though my subclass gets it for free at level 3 with the plan of switching it out for something else but it looks like I may have screwed myself out of a spell instead.

Snipet from the Sorcerer’s spell rules:

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered sorcerer level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a sorcerer can choose to learn a new spell in place of one she already knows. In effect, the sorcerer loses the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell's level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged. A sorcerer may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that she gains new spells known for the level

• Like 3

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

A neutral evil vampire cutie? Well well well.

And as per tradition you can't romance her. Curse this hollow world.
Alas, when will our demands for Viconia 2.0 be heard?

On reflection, I'm thinking about restarting as a Magus. Someone convince me not to.

Per the tabletop there are four builds for a magus, Strength, Dexterity, pure Intelligence, and Charisma if you choose the archetype (don't).

While all are effective the general consensus is that the Dex build is far superior.

7/8

8/10

With your racial set where you want that would be the general idea for ability scores, armor would be light, and weapon would be rapier or scimitar.

For the tabletop the spells you would want to focus on are Shocking Grasp and other touch spells, though I think SG is the only level 1 spell added in the game.

Having not played a Magus in this yet I can't really say what spells/feats would be a good choice past that.

• Like 1

Everyone who bitched about Deadfire being too easy needs to buy this. I'm on normal and not far enough to really say (my orc thug hasn't gone down yet, but one of the companions did - luckily she left the team shortly after), but the reviews/steam forum are teaming with peple complaining it's too hard, so it should satisfy all those people who complain about filthy casuals and too easy games :p  I'll likely end up on story mode if they are right :biggrin:

I don't think there's really difficulty in Pathfinder as far as I've played, it's just badly balanced added to mechanics that are either frustrating or poor fit for a CRPG, a battle can end up with your party wiped in 3 secs or without a scratch, randomly.

It's a shame because I'm liking many other things about the game.

Edited by Daled

Everyone who bitched about Deadfire being too easy needs to buy this. I'm on normal and not far enough to really say (my orc thug hasn't gone down yet, but one of the companions did - luckily she left the team shortly after), but the reviews/steam forum are teaming with peple complaining it's too hard, so it should satisfy all those people who complain about filthy casuals and too easy games :p I'll likely end up on story mode if they are right :biggrin:

I don't think there's really difficulty in Pathfinder as far as I've played, it's just badly balanced added to mechanics that are either frustrating or poor fit for a CRPG, a battle can end up with your party wiped in 3 secs or without a scratch, randomly.

It's a shame because I'm liking many other things about the game.

The difficulty affects how much damage the party takes from normal attacks as well as crits.

As with the tabletop, the targeting should go as follows Mages/Alchemist > Ranged > Melee, but this also depends on your party composition. If you're a party of ranged squishies then chances are you're going to be ****ed by melee due to Attacks of Opportunity.

The only part that is random is the damage dealt/recieved/healed and hits/misses, but that's true for most games anyway.

But it's clearly just because it's a very difficult game and like totally unbalanced...

Probably I couldn't explain myself sufficiently enough, you know, language barrier :D

The problem is that D&D/Pathfinder are rules made for pen and paper and I think that is inevitable that many of their mechanics will work atrociously in a computer RPG. Random is in every rpg? Sure, that doesn't mean that it works in the same way with the same ranges and probability, D&D/Pathfinder at low levels is a miss fest with one hit kills when luck comes around. Not a big problem when around a table with friends I' d say, but alone in front of a monitor...

Some people may like it but I don't find it fun. Thank god this game seems to have other perks beside the (for me) un enjoyable combat, I just hope that it won't have a lot of trash fights and maybe get a little better at higher levels.

Edited by Daled

I feel sad for those baby. And also there some /pol/tard got triggered because Amiri backstory.

• Like 1

Probably I couldn't explain myself sufficiently enough, you know, language barrier :D

The problem is that D&D/Pathfinder are rules made for pen and paper and I think that is inevitable that many of their mechanics will work atrociously in a computer RPG. Random is in every rpg? Sure, that doesn't mean that it works in the same way with the same ranges and probability, D&D/Pathfinder at low levels is a miss fest with one hit kills when luck comes around. Not a big problem when around a table with friends I' d say, but alone in front of a monitor...

Some people may like it but I don't find it fun. Thank god this game seems to have other perks beside the (for me) un enjoyable combat, I just hope that it won't have a lot of trash fights and maybe get a little better at higher levels.

Nah, the difference is the rules are made for turn based game. Pen and paper games are turn based and rules are designed for those. If you port those into real time environment, they just don't work well

nah biggest issue vit PnP is that in game you don't have DM who knows that you sometimes suck :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

What happened? Why did the Steam reviews go from 95% positive to 67% positive? Bad patch? Doesn't look like a bigger number of people have reviewed (Just people changing their previous positive position review to a negative one).

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I saw on another forum that a guy at lvl 2 had a random encounter with a demi-lich. AC 41,Dex Mod +12. XD

What happened? Why did the Steam reviews go from 95% positive to 67% positive? Bad patch? Doesn't look like a bigger number of people have reviewed (Just people changing their previous positive position review to a negative one).

I've heard it's because of the difficulty - see above. Edited by Oner
  • Like 1

Guys, a few things from over at the Owlcat forums:

They're aware of the difficulty spikes issue and will address it in a hot fix very soon. Basically, they don't want to lower difficulty overall, but do agree that getting routinely killed in an encounter within the tutorial is a bit much. I think they also said something about giving players a bit more time to finish Act 1.

Addressing issues with some KS backers not getting their appropriate in-game rewards.

The detailed digital walk-through is behind schedule so they will release what they have now, which only goes through chapter 3, and release the whole thing later when it gets done.

Additional playable races and classes are the primary thing they expect to include in expansions/DLCs.

Seems like issues that should be expected with a very small company doing its first big game project. Keeping this context in mind, I feel they've done an incredibly amazing job with this game so far. I for one am more than happy to cut them some slack and give them some time to fix up whatever needs fixin'. I am so excited not only for this game but for the prospect of a stream of additional games from them in the future that will scratch my D&D itch, given that we're very unlikely to see an actual D&D crpg any time soon.

• Like 4

Too hard for a lot of people. They go off the main quest and encounter something that's too difficult. Similar to Baldur's Gate. Go off the main quest and you might find yourself encountering a basilisk, get turned to stone and then complain on Steam that the difficulty is too hard and all over the place.

• Like 6

@ShadySands: Level 4 already?

Alright, I must be a slowpoke. After 3 more hours, my party is still like mid level 2, and that after half a dozen random encounters and like 4 event maps (although not completely explored for reasons soon explained).

Okay, I opted for a challenging difficulty, not the highest one, but still, I definitely got what I bargained for with a vengeance. I've had random encounters that make the hardest enemies in Deadfire feel like a walk in the park at PotD.

With a party that didn't even have 3,000XP, I actually went into a swamp and encountered a huge man-eating troll. The only fire we had was one everlasting torch. So, wise from years of D&D experience, I simply backed off, and it wouldn't be the first time. My party has backtracked trembling 5 times and counting.

I must be a CRPG sadist or something, but I absolutely love this weird randomness in difficulty (prolly because it's not very random to me - in most cases, I can tell if my newly formed lvl2 party stand a chance or not, and act accordingly. For instance, the best enemy they've downed was a skeletal champion, and he had pretty rewarding items too. If I didn't have Harrim and his anti-undead kit, I would have backed up and snuck away in fear, but nope - I took a calculated risk and it paid off. I even landed my first magical weapon this way, after like 6 hours. 

This slooooow levelling suites me like a glove.

And the survival of my party hanging by a thread, well to me, that helps me immensely in my roleplaying, it immerses me, yeah?

I for one am extremely grateful that a difficult game like this, especially when it's a CRPG with a ruleset I adore, has been launched in the year of 2018.

Thanks Owlcats!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 4

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Too hard for a lot of people. They go off the main quest and encounter something that's too difficult. Similar to Baldur's Gate. Go off the main quest and you might find yourself encountering a basilisk, get turned to stone and then complain on Steam that the difficulty is too hard and all over the place.

Yup. Exactly. For that particular situation apparently they will now add in a warning to players about the difficulty of that quest and also gift some items to the party to help out in the combat.

Thinking of starting over now that I have a better idea of how to play and what's going on

@ShadySands: Level 4 already?

Alright, I must be a slowpoke. After 3 more hours, my party is still like mid level 2, and that after half a dozen random encounters and like 4 event maps (although not completely explored for reasons soon explained).

Almost level 6 ;P Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I am early  - just reached the tradepost - and mechanics wise - it is pretty damn good. I just wish there was  amnual. I certainly didn't see one when downloading. The writing could be better but nothing more atrocious than what I saw in some pics people shared. the plot is okay. Nothing special but certainly not worst ever.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I must be a CRPG sadist or something, but I absolutely love this weird randomness in difficulty (prolly because it's not very random to me - in most cases, I can tell if my newly formed lvl2 party stand a chance or not, and act accordingly. For instance, the best enemy they've downed was a skeletal champion, and he had pretty rewarding items too. If I didn't have Harrim and his anti-undead kit, I would have backed up and snuck away in fear, but nope - I took a calculated risk and it paid off. I even landed my first magical weapon this way, after like 6 hours.

That is one of my favorite things when exploring. :)

• Like 1

sign.jpg

I've heard lots of complaints about balance and, frankly, I have to agree. I'm running an area that I think is supposed to be where I'm supposed to be and half the enemies die in one hit and the other half hold person or fear spam me until my tanks die. There's no consistency.

It's not even off the main quest. I'm on the main quest and running into traps that my Bard failed and triggered three times in a row. Then swarmed by giant centipedes that fall down dead, who then get backed up by rogues and priests who hold spam my tanks so the rogues can gank them.

There was one part on this main quest where I got a new party member who was standing right next to a sword and board bad guy the moment they joined me. He crushed her in two swings. My guys killed two other guys, went to face that one, and he crushed two of them as well before going down. He wasn't a boss. Dude didn't have a name. He was just some mook who got enlarge person cast on him in round one.

Took me three reloads before I daze spammed that guy enough to save the new party member, and then had her light cure spam one of the tanks. He still took the tank out and then her. So I took the win of only 2 of my party going down instead of 4.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."