Pathfinder Kingmaker is bigger then Deadfire

So I just got my Imperial Edition GOG key redeemed - against my better judgement. 

I am afraid to admit it, but I'm strangely excited for this game. It actually seems like the game is having... fun?

I guess I'm a sucker for unapologetic heroic fantasy D&D romps that are a bit on the campy side. And Kingmaker seems to be exactly that. I kind of missed that in recent RPGs.

...This is a relatively new feeling for me and I have to contemplate on that.

• Like 1

What story this suppose to have? Are you making yourself a king? Also does it have mluticlassing, dualclassing?

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

From wiki:

Plot Pathfinder: Kingmaker will be set within the Stolen Lands, part of the greater region of the River Kingdoms, which is in turn part of Golarion, the default setting of Pathfinder. It will feature the player carving their own realm out amongst the wilderness as a local lord, and expands upon the corresponding Kingmaker tabletop module.

It also looks like multi-class is supported.

Ah 3 hours to go before release on Steam. The hours are just slowly crawling by now.

So very happy I finished the preload last night, so I do not have to worry about that.

[EDIT] : And it's live now. Heck yeah. Now 20 minutes to go for install. Time

to buy some snacks and A&W Root Beer. Onwards to the family mini van.

foodbeer.png

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Alright, I've played the intro now, and I've just begun to explore the Stolen Lands.

Well, first off, yes there is multi-classing, etc, all that you could wish for in a CRPG and more, the best description is that this is D&D 3.75 with another world setting. It could have been Krynn or Greyhawk or Toril, but instead it's Golarion. The game is very faithful to the PnP books, as far as I can tell, and it's very ambitious in making it feel PnP too, I already adore the brilliant resting system - the best ever made in a CRPG, hands down:

TDxrdx.jpg

After a random encounter.

And there is encumbrance. This applies to the shared stash as well, and that's the party encumbrance. After Deadfire this feels harsh, but it's like a RPG is meant to be. Carrying lots of stuff should be taxing. So, there's fatigue as well, and other conditions.

However, I haven't seen any consumable arrows and bolts, so I assume that's just like in Deadfire - infinite.

The game starts with your character and a number of others having been called to try to wrest control over the Stolen Lands - almost like a competition - the ones who manage to cleanse it of bandits and so forth, they will get the land and the title (as per some desire from powers that be that wish to bring order to this corner of the world). But this unusual summons is interrupted by the castle being invaded by intruders - assassins and a few leaders, most likely sent out by other powers that be that don't want any order to this neck of the woods, as it were. 

This invasion makes for a great tutorial area, where you get to learn the ropes of the games, but you won't be able to level up after it's done (almost, though). In many ways, this reminds me of the starting area of the NWN2 OC, but also of the start of NWN1 Shadows of Undrentide, but bigger than the latter.

Obviously, if you've placed D&D 3.0, or even better 3.5, a lot, you're at a great advantage, not to mention if you're a Pathfinder fan. Still, the info screens while building your character is very exhaustive and pretty clearcut, so kudos to Owlcat for having managed that small feat. Deadfire really struggled in that department.

The graphics are not as nice as in Deadfire, but it's pretty neat. It's more on the level of PoE1 (and they have used Unity oo), but it's not as grim dark as PoE1, but rather on par with Deadfire, atmosphere-wise, although not a pirate-y archipelago in any shape or form.

Two days ago, I decided to roll a half orc, and I went for a Magus, a class that feels new and fresh to me. My weird goal at a challenging difficulty is to not use any weapons. I made an Abyssal Eldritch Scion half-orc, only using her claws as weapons. Her name is Visceria, and her portrait, which I imported, is the one I use on these forums currently.

I went for the CN alighnment, perhaps the most difficult one to play, since I felt like it.

Qg6JV8.jpg

And...

much to my surprise, I've managed to scrape together an entire party of llke-minded madmen and maniacs: Harrim, a whiny Groetus cleric. Hilarious! Best companion in a looooooong time,

IdjgGS.jpg

and Amiri, a super-cool CN barbarian, with a fantastic voice actress. Wonderful job there!

Then I brought along, almost like a multi-purpose-tool-rogue, the little CG bard, altough pesky, she's a nice contrast to the rest of the party.

Qw01GN.jpg

And this party, well, I'm having a blast so far.

The game really keeps track of your alignment, so there are plenty of opportunities to show your "true self":

pneoa6.jpg

RAeSJc.jpg

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 7

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

ok i will bite, and play Bronn of Blackwater getting his fuking castle. I jsut don't like cartoon graphics again :(

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

ok i will bite, and play Bronn of Blackwater getting his fuking castle. I jsut don't like cartoon graphics again :(

Let me put it this way. By supporting them this first time around, imagine what they can do for P:KM2, and with Paizo backing them up, more heavily invested next time, perhaps. Their engine may even be something other than Unity then. I mean, the quality leap, for the most part, from PoE1 to Deadfire was considerable, so please let Owlcat prosper.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Thanks for the screenshots, Indira. The camp system looks like an improved version of the one in Realms of Arkania 2. So that's what it should be like to me.

I've just started my journey, enjoying this camping system, but still I see so much nuances. During camping, your characters won't be wearing heavy armor and other cumbersome stuff if they're rudely awaken by some hungry trolls in the dead of night, and every class and character, depending on factors unknown to me, has a special role when the party's camping. For some reason, my character provides stealth for the entire camp, making it harder for hostile to detect, for instance.

EDIT: And did I say that the music so far is great? There are even choirs and a pretty distinctive Slavic/Russian vibe to it. I really like it. The same goes for the setting, with splotches of names and cultural strokes used - very refreshing, I must say (a bit like Deadfire's Italian-like Vailians). And the ambient sounds and murmurs are pretty great, like NWN1, insects are buzzing, birds are chirping, and cute and not so cute animals are lurking among the grasses and bushes, like rabbits and snakes and even weirder critters.

• Like 1

Let me put it this way. By supporting them this first time around, imagine what they can do for P:KM2, and with Paizo backing them up, more heavily invested next time, perhaps. Their engine may even be something other than Unity then. I mean, the quality leap, for the most part, from PoE1 to Deadfire was considerable, so please let Owlcat prosper.

I ended up pre-ordering the game at the last time. Everything I've seen so far tells me that I'll not regret it. And as you said, we need to support anyone that makes this kind of game. :)

Edit: I mean "at the last possible moment"

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 3

sign.jpg

I am interested how story reacts to player class, I mean it does not make much sense for druid to want to be king sitting on throne in castle? :/

Edited by Chilloutman

Kingmaker_2018-09-25_16-19-59-77.png

Kingmaker_2018-09-25_16-09-20-67.png

Pretty happy I preordered the Pathfinder: Kingmaker Noble Edition on Steam. So far I been having a blast, now that I'm out of the tutorial area.

Edited by wolfrider100
  • Like 3

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

Pretty happy I preordered the Pathfinder: Kingmaker Noble Edition on Steam. So far I been having a blast now that I'm out of the tutorial part.

All companions ladies? compensating something? :)

Pretty happy I preordered the Pathfinder: Kingmaker Noble Edition on Steam. So far I been having a blast now that I'm out of the tutorial part.

Nope there the only ones that can stand me enough to want to travel with me. Seems the other companions did not like the choices I made in the beginning tutorial. xD

Edited by wolfrider100
  • Like 2

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

Well, I have to admit it - the game is really fun so far.

I like how robust character creation is, custom difficulty is a good idea, I quite enjoy the companions and writing so far.

Choices and consequences are quite good so far - the fact that your future party composition depends on your actions in the tutorial in rather nice.

Both Jaethal and Harrim concluded that I'm not cool/pragmatic enough for them and left. And those were the teammates I *wanted* to hang out with.

The game is a campy 80's D&D adventure - and it owns up to it. So far, thumbs up.

Let's hope it won't turn to crap later.

• Like 3

is there some decent wiki for classes, companions etc? All i can find seems empty

is there some decent wiki for classes, companions etc? All i can find seems empty

No, not for P:KM the CRPG, but I read on the Steam forums that there is a template for one, and just now they've started to encourage us players to contribute.

Well, I have to admit it - the game is really fun so far.

Choices and consequences are quite good so far - the fact that your future party composition depends on your actions in the tutorial in rather nice.

The game is a campy 80's D&D adventure - and it owns up to it. So far, thumbs up.

Campy 80's is like my middle name! ;)

As for companions, I deliberately steered clear of info and such, so I just played the tutorial, and the way it ended in that regard took me with surprise, and the party members I ended up with really did fit my character, (and Harrim, what a dwarf! Harumph!) so I'm a happy camper…

See, what I did there? :brows:

• Like 4

I don't know about the first one, but the second is a very cool character. And the halfling is an interesting character to have in your party (a chronicler) that also happens to look like a cute child. So why wouldn't have them in your team? ;)

Because I dont like cute little kids in team of killers xD

• Like 1

Too busy with work, but I really look forward to buying and playing soon.

Main thing I'm hoping is that the combat is sufficiently robust, challenging on higher difficulties, and snappy to give it even half of the replayability the Infinity Engine in particular managed.

The alignment reactivity and the moral choices have been great from the get-go, and like in PoE, there are these neat choose-your-own-adventure scripted interactions too:

7w5qRf.jpg

UIJ5fy.jpg

Well, a certain NE pale elf companion is super-cool. I'll have Jaethal in my party in my 2nd playthru for sure!

And, well, rusty as I am, using 3.5'ish rules, I did this to her:

tL6YuY.jpg

I'm an idiot!