Pathfinder Kingmaker is bigger then Deadfire

https://owlcatgames.com/forums/showthread.php?19-Information-known-about-the-game-so-far

I have been reading alot of the forum comments. The game looks good.

CRPG like Deadfire and you can build your own kingdom and raise an army.

There are numerous reports it is far bigger then deadfire with the base game being over 100 hours of game play and they have expansions planned on top of that. Deadfires base was advertised as being around 50-60 hours from memory.

Not as good as graphics as deadfire but to be honest the story plot and narrative and definitely the Balancing look far better.

Edited by no1fanboy
  • Like 1

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker

officailly confirmed at 90 hours (80 hours base + 10 hours extra stretch goal content) wow thats huge wasnt expecting it to be that big. BG2 was 100 hours. Deadfire is 60 hours.

really love that the main plot concentrates on you building your kingdom instead of chasing around a stupid statue 

Edited by no1fanboy
  • Like 1

Heard about this game two days ago. Seems quite interesting. Watched the first few episodes of a Let's Play of the closed beta, and it seems to imply that the companions you start with change drastically based on choices made during the tutorial phase. Alas, I know nothing of Pathfinder's rulesets and all, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Edited by Saito Hikari

Heard about this game two days ago. Seems quite interesting. Watched the first few episodes of a Let's Play of the closed beta, and it seems to imply that the companions you start with change drastically based on choices made during the tutorial phase. Alas, I know nothing of Pathfinder's rulesets and all, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

You can read all about them here:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com

While not as broken as 3.5, it still has its share of broken aspects. I can almost guarantee that plays will lack most of the race options, race substitutions, and class archetypes that the system provides. I can almost guarantee that the CMD rules are going to be altered or nonexistent.

• Like 1

While not as broken as 3.5, it still has its share of broken aspects. I can almost guarantee that plays will lack most of the race options, race substitutions, and class archetypes that the system provides. I can almost guarantee that the CMD rules are going to be altered or nonexistent.

Ah, thanks. Although to be honest, I actually meant 'I really know nothing about DnD and its terminology such as rulesets' at all. I only did get into the PoE series some 3 and a half months ago, and it was my first real introduction to cRPGs that adhere closer to what DnD apparently is.

I will definitely be looking through this resource, though. Thanks again.

(Arcane Archer sounds awesome. I wonder if that's something that will be included in this game?)

Edited by Saito Hikari

Just a thought, the one thing Obs are really good at, esp Sawyer is rulesets and balancing. POE was brilliant towards the end in that respect. Deadfire will get there, but it will take time. I’d expect POE and Deadfire (given a bit more time) to be far superior to Pathfinder or any version of d&d from a gameplay perspective. My issue with Deadfire is I wanted a sequel to Pillars not SOZ. Ie a tightly nit story with the focus on the writing. In essence, the complete opposite of Deadfire.

Kinda interested in Kingmaker, only because of Avellones involvement. I’ve learned to be very skeptical of smaller studios. Game design is heck of a difficult and in my experience the last few crops of games like ‘sword coast legends’ and ‘the dwarves’ were a complete waste of time. This does sound a bit to close to them for comfort.

• Like 7

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Yep. The best thing is it uses the existing pathfinder rules set so no stupid balancing dramas.

I also love playing big games like BG2 and kingmaker is that

^^ This. Especially because these balancing issues (Ranger / Cipher / Priest / single classes in general) are not being worked on and removed.

Just a thought, the one thing Obs are really good at, esp Sawyer is rulesets and balancing. POE was brilliant towards the end in that respect. 

Two years of balancing POE1 resulted in a game where you could pick any number of Paladins and Chanters and kill everything with passive aura damage.

But at least that one ranged weapon in WM2 was nerfed because it was too strong.  :dancing:

Edited by Manveru123
  • Like 3

officailly confirmed at 90 hours (80 hours base + 10 hours extra stretch goal content) wow thats huge wasnt expecting it to be that big. BG2 was 100 hours. Deadfire is 60 hours.

really love that the main plot concentrates on you building your kingdom instead of chasing around a stupid statue

Jesus Christ. The petulance in these forums sometimes. Why are you here?

• Like 14

First - play, second - we will see :)  

Just a thought, the one thing Obs are really good at, esp Sawyer is rulesets and balancing. POE was brilliant towards the end in that respect. 

Two years of balancing POE1 resulted in a game where you could pick any number of Paladins and Chanters and kill everything with passive aura damage.

But at least that one ranged weapon in WM2 was nerfed because it was too strong.  :dancing:

LOL

Yeah and to fix that in the second game have a look at what they did to self immolation for the paladin

Instead of self immmolation killing enemies like POE1 you actually kill yourself now faster then the enemies can kill you . 43 raw damage every 3 seconds

And lets not forget whispers of the endless paths. "I know lets just make the sword completely frickin useless by nerfing the base damage into irrelevance" (Obsidian)

ohh and the best one would have to be unlabored blade from POE1 . " I know, because the barbarian can use the weapon really well with frenzy lets just completely nerf the blade to complete and utter uselessness with a 3% proc rate so know one can use it anymore" (Obsidian) 

NOW THATS CALLED BALANCING EVERYBODY!

Edited by no1fanboy

Don't you have enough Deadfire bashing threads?

• Like 14

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

You say "bigger", I just hear "more buggy".

But yea I'm rather excited for the game nonetheless.

PS: I actually think Deadfire is impressively balanced as it is. People think balance is just nothing being OP, but I think the more important element is everything being viable. POE is really good at avoiding trap builds and that's one of the reasons I find it so fun to play. Some things are better than others for sure, but nothing is so bad that it's actually unusable.

• Like 10

Looks like our special children get their own PoE now. With an easy to understand story and visually stimulating graphics, so noone gets bored. I think that's a good thing, we don't want to leave anyone behind.

Nothing for me to be honest. I'd rather have an engaging story, excellent worldbuilding and good writing than playing with toy soldiers in my little fairy kingdom. But I understand that this can't work for all of us. I just hope that the weapons will do loooots of damage. It's frustrating for that kind of target group if the game does not give enough positive feedback on their actions.

• Like 2

---

We're all doomed

Looks like our special children get their own PoE now. With an easy to understand story and visually stimulating graphics, so noone gets bored. I think that's a good thing, we don't want to leave anyone behind.

Nothing for me to be honest. I'd rather have an engaging story, excellent worldbuilding and good writing than playing with toy soldiers in my little fairy kingdom. But I understand that this can't work for all of us. I just hope that the weapons will do loooots of damage. It's frustrating for that kind of target group if the game does not give enough positive feedback on their actions.

I could probably get rich by mining and selling all this salt.. Dibs.

Oh, so what games have you recently played that had an engaging story, excellent worldbuilding and good writing, because Deadfire has none of those? :) I'm looking for suggestions.

EDIT: Other than Divinity: Original Sin 2, already played that :)

Edited by Manveru123

Do you mean DD 3.5 edition? How is that broken? In my view, it's brilliant.

• Like 2

Yep. The best thing is it uses the existing pathfinder rules set so no stupid balancing dramas.

lololololo

Tier 1: Capable of doing absolutely everything, often better than classes that specialize in that thing. Often capable of solving encounters with a single mechanical ability and little thought from the player. Has world changing powers at high levels. These guys, if played with skill, can easily break a campaign and can be very hard to challenge without extreme DM fiat or plenty of house rules, especially if Tier 3s and below are in the party.

(...)

Tier 6: Not even capable of shining in their own area of expertise. DMs will need to work hard to make encounters that this sort of character can contribute in with their mechanical abilities. Will often feel worthless unless the character is seriously powergamed beyond belief, and even then won't be terribly impressive. Needs to fight enemies of lower than normal CR. Class is often completely unsynergized or with almost no abilities of merit. Avoid allowing PCs to play these characters.

A+ balance indeed

• Like 7

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

lololololo

Tier 1: Capable of doing absolutely everything, often better than classes that specialize in that thing. Often capable of solving encounters with a single mechanical ability and little thought from the player. Has world changing powers at high levels. These guys, if played with skill, can easily break a campaign and can be very hard to challenge without extreme DM fiat or plenty of house rules, especially if Tier 3s and below are in the party.

(...)

Tier 6: Not even capable of shining in their own area of expertise. DMs will need to work hard to make encounters that this sort of character can contribute in with their mechanical abilities. Will often feel worthless unless the character is seriously powergamed beyond belief, and even then won't be terribly impressive. Needs to fight enemies of lower than normal CR. Class is often completely unsynergized or with almost no abilities of merit. Avoid allowing PCs to play these characters.

A+ balance indeed

And you know what the best part is? It's gonna stay that way after release.

I could probably get rich by mining and selling all this salt.. Dibs.

Oh, so what games have you recently played that had an engaging story, excellent worldbuilding and good writing, because Deadfire has none of those? :) I'm looking for suggestions.

EDIT: Other than Divinity: Original Sin 2, already played that :)

Not that I agree with the intent of the comment you're replying to, but... Deadfire actually has incredible worldbuilding. The problem is that it puts that worldbuilding over telling a cohesive, deep, and compelling core narrative. It's writing is pretty great too. Certainly better than the first game, even if I don't really think it chooses the right places to be more evocative. I can't say I'm entirely satisfied with what we got, but I understood the intent (and it's understandable they chose this direction after the criticism the first game received). I hope Pillars 3 will be able to strike a better balance between the two extremes. The compelling, intriguing, philosophical depth of the first Pillars of Eternity balanced with the snappier, cleaner delivery style of Deadfire.

Edited by Novem
  • Like 7