Romance in KoTOR 2

am not saying that ps:t did romance well.  ffg and annah romance stuff did not impress Gromnir.  ravel were an exception.

HA! Good Fun!

I don't think PS:T did romance at all.

The subject was touched with FFG and Annah, but other then that, i don't think they really focused much on this concept.

For many players (me included), it was the first time we was able to flirt with a controllable NPC, and it was totally unexpected to boot.

Still, at the time, romances were not a concern, and they didn't matter much in Torment.

This doesn't mean the concept of love wasn't present in the game, and that it wasn't well executed.

By request, this time they WILL concentrate on romancing controllable NPCs, and i have faith their efford will exceed Bioware's, though i admit that isn't saying much...

I always thought it was ridiculous that the Jedi order should forbid love.

I understand forbidding being ruled by passion, but without love, what is life all about?

Anakin gives a small speech to that extent in AoTC. Also, the Jedi Order could be very different 4000 years before ANH.

I think the problem with Anakin's love was that he was immature. He wasn't ready for it. He was even a Knight yet. If he'd matured abit, showed that he wasn't ruled by emotions, the Jedi Council would've probably been okay with his loving Padme.

I think the problem with Anakin's love was that he was immature. He wasn't ready for it. He was even a Knight yet. If he'd matured abit, showed that he wasn't ruled by emotions, the Jedi Council would've probably been okay with his loving Padme.

I think the problem with Anakin's love is that George Lucas has become a terrible writer and film director.

I hate when people try to razionalize bad film making...

I think the problem with Anakin's love is that George Lucas has become a terrible writer and film director.

Best theory ever!

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

I think the problem with Anakin's love was that  he was immature.  He wasn't ready for it.  He was even a Knight yet.  If he'd matured abit, showed that he wasn't ruled by emotions, the Jedi Council would've probably been okay with his loving Padme.

Rationalizing bad films? What are you talking about? I certainly said nothing about whether AOTC was good or not. That just doesn't enter into the equation.

George lucas always where a mediocre writer (at best),but luckly for him he had Lawrence Kasdan in the old days.

Yes. That he is. Although Episode IV was well written, IMO.

I don't have a major problem with the first 2 episodes, but I know he could've done better in terms of story. The problem with GL is that even though he has an awesome imagination, he is not so profiecient in story writting. Actually, I think I heard in one interview (don't know when), that he really hated this particular aspect of movie making.

Guest Dante Qel-Droma
From Chris Avellone in the Questions to the Devs thread:

I don't like to lock CNPC quest down to romance quests - it's more like we have relationship quests in K2, which aren't tied solely to romance but how much you are an example to your allies and how you treat them. Things like building friendships, loyalties, developing grudging respect or contempt, and occasionally the need to strangle the life out of each other will occur. And you can cheerfully shut them all down and ignore them if you want, though your companions may occasionally lay into each other without prompting.

I'm sorry, but I think this is an horrible idea. One of the reasons that KoTOR has been rated the best RPG of all time across all platforms is because of the romances. While I do like the other interactions, and look forward to them, cutting out the romance is simply awful.

KoTOR was very inspiring to many, many people, due in large part to the character development that was there when the PC was drawing romantically closer to either Carth or Bastila. Romances are included in just about every piece of classical literature out there, from every genre. There is a universal appeal about them, which is one of the reasons why Baldur's Gate II was such an enormous success as well.

The romances are one of the most talked about aspects of the game. The majourity of players love having them in there, and truly appreciate how much they added to the enjoyment of playing KoTOR. I know many, many people are looking forward to the romances in KoTOR 2, and when I asked at E3, I was informed by LA that there would be romances in the story.

Looking at it from purely a writer's standpoint, love is the single most powerful and most used device out there. Using Star Wars, the Han/Leia romance aside, the catalyst for most of the movies was love. Luke's love for Obi Wan, Luke's love for his friends, and finally, Luke's love for his father. It's difficult to inspire that kind of devotion in a third person environment like a game without using the romance card.

Please, please reconsider the romance option. I truly believe that KoTOR2 will suffer if it is left out, and many, many fans will be disappointed.

I agree, Adria. I also think that is a bad move on Obsidian's part. They could have done so much more with the romances this time around than BioWare did in the original. I know a lot of people want to have a romance in KOTOR 2, but it seems people will be disappointed.

The ideal romance would be long and drawn out, with a whole lot of dialogues. By comparison, I consider KOTOR's romances to be way too short, so 50 dialogues would be a good start towards the ideal romance. The romance should run the gamut of relationship levels, from acquaintances to friendship to something deeper to lovers, and it should run the gamut of emotions, with tragic moments, and happy moments, and everything in between, while ultimately ending up with the parties involved being together for the rest of their lives (at the end of the game).

I also think basic romantic pleasures, such as eating dinner, or watching a sunset, or taking a walk, or just spending time with the person you love, should not be understated or ignored, and would make for a much better romance as a whole if they were included to act as a compliment to the "bigger" romantic events, and by "bigger" events, I mean the events which tend to ultimately define the romance when all is said and done. Saving your lover's life, or your lover saving your life, or other magnanimous events such as making major decisions would qualify as "bigger events, but I digress.

An ideal romantic partner (I'm assuming a female for ease of reference) would be someone who is needy at times so you can be there for her, but who is also strong so she can be there for you when you need her. She is beautiful. sensitive, caring, and intelligent. She is both your best friend and the love of your life. She's someone you just enjoy spending time with, no matter what it is you're actually doing with her.

Also, I enjoyed the love triangles (and ever rectangles) of Baldur's Gate 2, as they offered both an opportunity to choose who you wanted to romance, and some humorous dialogue as they verbally sparred with each other for your affections. Something like that in KOTOR 2 could be entertaining both for the writers and for the players.

That's about all I can think of for now... ;)

George lucas always where a mediocre writer (at best),but luckly for him he had Lawrence Kasdan in the old days. 

My point exacly ..since Episode IV was almost entirely written by Lawrence Kasdan(GL was devorcing his first whife at that point and simply didn

My point exacly ..since Episode IV was almost entirely written by Lawrence Kasdan(GL was devorcing his first whife at that point and simply didn

In a interveiw in 1986(i belive not sure though) lucas himself said that lawrence Kasdan has a far better understanding of the star wars universe than himself...though he later denied ever having said that :rolleyes:

Lawrence only Statement on the subject has been"writing star wars for lucas is like writing romeo and juliet and having shakespiere walking in circles around you" B)

Well if IMBD says it's George Lucas, then that is how it is.

Here's the link:

IMDB

Er..., if Alan Dean Foster 'ghost' writed it you won't see any source credit him as the writer. That's the whole purpose of ghost writers, do the job for some big shot name who will get all the credit and leave you with a few dimes in exchange...

Here's the link:

IMDB

Er..., if Alan Dean Foster 'ghost' writed it you won't see any source credit him as the writer. That's the whole purpose of ghost writers, do the job for some big shot name who will get all the credit and leave you with a few dimes in exchange...

Perhaps...but I don't think that GL would've have let someone else write it. At that time, he wasn't very popular in Hollywood, he was even rejected as a director for Flash Gordon. Without popularity and little money I doubt that he would have hire someone write it. He may have asked for a few pointers and/or opinions, but someone else writting it? Hmmm...doesn't sound right...

I guess some people think GL didn't write EP IV because he could've done a better job with the prequels (story wise, of course).

Here's the link:

IMDB

Perhaps...but I don't think that GL would've have let someone else write it. At that time, he wasn't very popular in Hollywood, he was even rejected as a director for Flash Gordon. Without popularity and little money I doubt that he would have hire someone write it. He may have asked for a few pointers and/or opinions, but someone else writting it? Hmmm...doesn't sound right...

I guess some people think GL didn't write EP IV because he could've done a better job with the prequels (story wise, of course).

From what I recall, there were a number of Episode IV scripts written. One where Luke is a chubby kid with a Lightsaber who rescues Princess Leia from Alderaan the Imperial Prison Planet. Another where he's called Luke Starkiller. Some written by Lucas, some by another guy(I think it was Alan Dean Foster, because he also wrote Splinter Of The Mind's Eye, and the Star Wars novels) . Anyway, this is from Skywalking(biography of George Lucas) by Dale Pollock

From what I recall, there were a number of Episode IV scripts written.  One where Luke is a chubby kid with a Lightsaber who rescues Princess Leia from Alderaan the Imperial Prison Planet.  Another where he's called Luke Starkiller.  Some written by Lucas, some by another guy(I think it was Alan Dean Foster, because he also wrote Splinter Of The Mind's Eye, and the Star Wars novels) .  Anyway, this is from Skywalking(biography of George Lucas) by Dale Pollock

Well, I guess I can't argue with that...But it still doesn't sound right to me. Perhaps I always thought the GL wrote it, and I just can't accept it... anyways, c'est la vi...

Add Willow and Howard the Duck to that...

Yes Opus you're right. I forgot about those films. Of course when I saw them I was just a kid, and I liked them. I am not to sure that I will if I see them again now.