Romance in KoTOR 2

Ack, yup, I mistyped. Too much crap going on over here.

Yes, there WILL be romances in the game, WOOHOO!

But...(who didn't see this coming?)

The Chris post still makes it sound like the romances are not given much thought, and if they're going to be an afterthought, I'd rather they just be left out to make way for the better in-depth non-romance interactions. Ah well.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

a) Just because something is different doesn't mean that it is inferior.

'Different' ?!? Is that different has in 'differently able' ?!?

No, that's "different" as in "different". I've seen "Henry VI" by the RSC at the RST, and i've played KotOR. They were entirely different, but i enjoyed them both. KotOR considerably more actually, but that's besides the point. At least i didn't fall asleep at the RST like some of my classmates.

b ) I would certainly like it to be more like the Star Wars movies than your average Fantasy CRPG(or Shakespeare :().

I would defenatly like it to be well written and well thought out rather then be like the Star Wars movies and your average fantasy CRPG (particularly if made by Bioware).

It really doesn't matter to me which company made the average Fantasy CRPG i don't want KotOR2 to be like. Probably all of them, I don't like Fantasy. :p

You were trying to exscuse the blandess of the KOTOR romances by saying it was reminescent of the Star Wars romance, which aslo implies that you consider the Star Wars romance to be bland in the first place.

I beg your pardon, i did no such thing! Fact of the matter, i think the romances in the movies and KotOR were great. That might make me a simpleton in your eyes, but i really couldn't care less as long as i'm having fun.

The fact is, Bastila romance was as shalow as it was boring. If they can't improve upon it, i'd rather have none at all...

Even if it is optional? You would rather it was denied to the people who might enjoy it, even though you didn't have to do it yourself? :huh:

No my friend, it's the hollywood syndrome and their failure to portray strong female characters without having to use the old 'b*tch on a power trip' routine. Such boring cliches are Bioware's trademark.

What you think is great characterization is just your prepubescent mind getting confused on her polygonal boobs...

To Opus:

First off, I'm not prepubescent. I'm 23. Second off, I'm a female, so I'm not obsessed with Bastila's boobs. Third off, I do know good characterization, and Bastila is it. Unfortunately, you may not understand this, as it requires you have an IQ of higher than a turnip.

why not have the games teach a lesson instead of teaching kids that horrible pick-up lines will get you laid.

Heh. My thoughts exactly. I think whoever wrote the dialogue options for the Bastila romance must have been a very lonely person; either that, or they had watched Han Solo at work in EST wayyyy too many times.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I think Bastila's romance was well done until the end -- I didn't like her redemption at the Star Forge at all, it was too contrived. The moment of consummation was perhaps a little too hasty as well, but other than those two things I thought it was well done.

why not have the games teach a lesson instead of teaching kids that horrible pick-up lines will get you laid.

Heh. My thoughts exactly. I think whoever wrote the dialogue options for the Bastila romance must have been a very lonely person; either that, or they had watched Han Solo at work in EST wayyyy too many times.

That's how i saw it, a humerous ode to the "Leia and Han Solo"-romance, a small bonus for your own entertainment. However, it had some flaws, like when Bastila admitted that she had 'feelings' for my character only after some minor teasement. The romance itself didn't ruin my KotOR experience either in any way, since i wasn't expecting any romance in the first place.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No my friend, it's the hollywood syndrome and their failure to portray strong female characters without having to use the old 'b*tch on a power trip' routine. Such boring cliches are Bioware's trademark.

What you think is great characterization is just your prepubescent mind getting confused on her polygonal boobs...

To Opus:

First off, I'm not prepubescent. I'm 23. Second off, I'm a female, so I'm not obsessed with Bastila's boobs. Third off, I do know good characterization, and Bastila is it. Unfortunately, you may not understand this, as it requires you have an IQ of higher than a turnip.

I think the romance with Bastilla had one decent moment, on the Ebon Hawk. I also agree that the Star Forge scene was a bit contrived. I think the 'pick-up lines' were sad and pathetic, but then again you didn't need them. The bond between Revan and Bastilla was already there. Their romance was almost predetermined.

Where it could have been a lot better then it was,there have been worse. And it was an option so no one was forced to take that path. Would be nice if it was done a little better but I don't think anything will be hurt if it's not. If nothing else I got a good laugh out of how they did things in Knights.

I just figured that Bastilla was at heart a lonely person, and therefore pretty susceptible to developing "feelings" for someone. That bond thing too, she never shuts up about it!

I think the romance was reasonably good considering the amount of time given, and the circumstances.

Note to the devs.

You can use "George Lucas in Love" for inspiration.

Note to the devs.

If you use anything having to do with George Lucas for inspiration aside from the original Star Wars, may someone cut off your collective nuts and put them in a blender.

"George Lucas in Love" is a cute fan-film. It parodies Shakespeare in Love, and suggests that Star Wars was written to mirror George Lucas's actual life in college. It's pretty funny.

Sorry. The words 'inspiration' and 'George Lucas' used together set off alarm bells in me. :p

I actually think George Lucas is great at the "inspiration" stage.

This is the guy who gave us Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Willow, and American Graffiti. That's a pretty impressive resume. George Lucas fails with dialouge, and the lack of an editorial process.

This is the guy who gave us Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Willow, and American Graffiti. That's a pretty impressive resume. George Lucas fails with dialouge, and the lack of an editorial process.

George Lucas also gave us Howard the Duck. :rolleyes:

This is also the man who gave us Midicloriens (or however you spell it), the virgin birth of Anakin skywalker, Greedo shooting first, Ewoks, Howard the Duck, Willow (sorry, hated that movie), and (last but most certainly NOT least) Jar-Jar Binks.

He had a few hits in his early career....but my god if he isn't missing every swing now. Whatever he touches nowadays seems to turn to sh*t. Be inspired by his early work, by all means....but the less Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones in TSL, the better.

I just figured that Bastilla was at heart a lonely person, and therefore pretty susceptible to developing "feelings" for someone.

Wonder what would have happened if you had send other party members to rescue her...?

Bastila: "Zaalbar, you big, strong, handsome guy...:rolleyes:"

Or like the woman on Dantooine...

Bastila: "T3, come here. I need you to do something for me... :ph34r: "

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I wonder if there's a law in the Star Wars galaxy against Wookiephilia?

:huh: If LucasArts didn't want to encourage this, they shouldn't have given the fan-boys the option to have Bastilla run around in black lingerie. :huh:

Bastila: "Zaalbar, you big, strong, handsome guy...:huh:"

I once payed fifty cents for a wookie prostitute, fifty seconds of pleasure, and fifty years of regret. Wookie love is pointless! :rolleyes:

Cheers!

I once payed fifty cents for a wookie prostitute, fifty seconds of pleasure, and fifty years of regret. Wookie love is pointless! :rolleyes:

Cheers!

I wonder if she'd do it Wookie style for an extra 25 cents? :huh:

Er.... What has this got to do with Romances?????? :rolleyes:

Very, very little.