Romance in KoTOR 2

I want to romance my lightsaber...if you know what I mean.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

With all due respect, I must say that I most forcefully disagree with this statement. Although the building of friendships and loyalties is important, and should be a factor in the NPC interaction, I believe that the romance aspect of KOTOR is, hands down, the single most influential aspect of the game's storyline. I know that, for me personally, it was the incredible effect the romance storyline had on me that made me want to keep playing KOTOR again and again and again.

In all honesty, it was the romance that made KOTOR really worth playing. It injected a potent spice into a tried-and-true save the galaxy type of adventure. At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I will come forward and say it: when my character was able to bring Bastila back from the dark side and have her actually say those magic words "I love you, too. With all my heart,".... well, that scene gave me shivers. It was powerful, powerful stuff, and it's what really made me sit back and go "WOW" after the final credits rolled across the scene.

To remove or lessen the romances in KOTOR II would be to deprive the game of one of its most crucial and powerful elements. While the intent in doing such may be good, I think that, for many fans, the romances and their wonderful complexity are really what make KOTOR stand head and shoulders above the crowd. For proof of that statement, just look at all of the KOTOR fan fictions that have been made... virtually -all- of those center on the various aspects of the romances.

I think that, if anything, instead of lessening romances in favor of more mundance "let's be friends" situations, I think KOTOR II should have -more- romances. Maybe even give us multiple romance options in the manner of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, and then have those characters fight it out for the main characters affection. That would be very interesting, methinks.

So, to reiterate, I believe that removing or lessening KOTOR's wonderful romances would be very detrimental. If anything, the focus should be to expand, expand, expand!

Get a girlfriend would ya...

You have a dirty mind...all I thought he meant was that he wanted to slaughter some innocents.  ;)

I think the word you are looking for is perverted, and it's interesting how some old school light saber lovin' is dirty, but slaughtering innocents it's perfectly in order, i think americans have their priorities screwed up.

I say less explotions and more naked boobs, europians really know how to get it on...

er... :ph34r:

With all due respect, I must say that I most forcefully disagree with this statement. Although the building of friendships and loyalties is important, and should be a factor in the NPC interaction, I believe that the romance aspect of KOTOR is, hands down, the single most influential aspect of the game's storyline. I know that, for me personally, it was the incredible effect the romance storyline had on me that made me want to keep playing KOTOR again and again and again.

In all honesty, it was the romance that made KOTOR really worth playing. It injected a potent spice into a tried-and-true save the galaxy type of adventure. At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I will come forward and say it: when my character was able to bring Bastila back from the dark side and have her actually say those magic words "I love you, too. With all my heart,".... well, that scene gave me shivers. It was powerful, powerful stuff, and it's what really made me sit back and go "WOW" after the final credits rolled across the scene.

To remove or lessen the romances in KOTOR II would be to deprive the game of one of its most crucial and powerful elements. While the intent in doing such may be good, I think that, for many fans, the romances and their wonderful complexity are really what make KOTOR stand head and shoulders above the crowd. For proof of that statement, just look at all of the KOTOR fan fictions that have been made... virtually -all- of those center on the various aspects of the romances.

I think that, if anything, instead of lessening romances in favor of more mundance "let's be friends" situations, I think KOTOR II should have -more- romances. Maybe even give us multiple romance options in the manner of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, and then have those characters fight it out for the main characters affection. That would be very interesting, methinks.

So, to reiterate, I believe that removing or lessening KOTOR's wonderful romances would be very detrimental. If anything, the focus should be to expand, expand, expand!

Buddy, did you not read my above statement? The 'get a girlfriend' arguement is as cliched as one can get. Perhaps in your part of the world, video games are still the domain of the socially introverted, but in my region, normal folks can still gather together and enjoy them. And though I don't really need to defend myself from this rather pointless banter, I believe I did point out that my girlfriend enjoys playing KOTOR almost as much as I do. Of course, I'm sure you'll next comment will then be to insult the appearance of said girlfriend or some other childish comment, so let's just skip that, shall we?

Now, I would pose a question to you: if romance options in a video game only for those 'overly-emotional teenagers who are so socially inept that they'll never have friends beyond a computer screen,' why is it that romantic literature (and literature of the Romantic era) is still considered the classic standard to which all of our modern day visual and literary entertainment is measured against. I believe it's ironic that a person can stand around trashing romance story-lines and the people who enjoy them, and yet never realize the fact that many of the movies and television shows that person may enjoy are, in fact, directly or indirectly affected by the Romance writers of the previous centuries.

Just something to think about.

Buddy, did you not read my above statement? The 'get a girlfriend' arguement is as cliched as one can get. Perhaps in your part of the world, video games are still the domain of the socially introverted, but in my region, normal folks can still gather together and enjoy them. And though I don't really need to defend myself from this rather pointless banter, I believe I did point out that my girlfriend enjoys playing KOTOR almost as much as I do. Of course, I'm sure you'll next comment will then be to insult the appearance of said girlfriend or some other childish comment, so let's just skip that, shall we?

Now, I would pose a question to you: if romance options in a video game only for those 'overly-emotional teenagers who are so socially inept that they'll never have friends beyond a computer screen,' why is it that romantic literature (and literature of the Romantic era) is still considered the classic standard to which all of our modern day visual and literary entertainment is measured against. I believe it's ironic that a person can stand around trashing romance story-lines and the people who enjoy them, and yet never realize the fact that many of the movies and television shows that person may enjoy are, in fact, directly or indirectly affected by the Romance writers of the previous centuries.

Just something to think about.

is this guy a pervert or what?

I dont understand why the romance thing is so important? I played through the romance subplot once in KOTOR and thought it was a waste of my time. Are some of you so sex starved that you lust after the polygons that make up Bastilla or whoever else...I mean they look like cartoons, they don't even look human really. I don't know about anyone else but I play video games when Im not spending time with my human girlfriend. Video games are a time for me to relax alone, why do

I want to simulate a girlfriend during my alone time? Perhaps I feel this way because Im not a teenager.. I don't know...can anyone else back me on this one? :p

I dont understand why the romance thing is so important? I played through the romance subplot once in KOTOR and thought it was a waste of my time. Are some of you so sex starved that you lust after the polygons that make up Bastilla or whoever else...I mean they look like cartoons, they don't even look human really. I don't know about anyone else but I play video games when Im not spending time with my human girlfriend. Video games are a time for me to relax alone, why do

I want to simulate a girlfriend during my alone time? Perhaps I feel this way because Im not a teenager.. I don't know...can anyone else back me on this one? :huh:

you are correct, these people want video games to give them women, which is sad!

like i believe ive said before, i play games cause its fun fighting things and blowing up things, you know, stuff you couldnt do in the real world.

their doing stuff they couldnt do in the real world though :p:lol::lol:

You guys have to keep in mind that KOTOR is an RPG at heart, and the sequel will be too.. It's not an RPG in the sense of Diablo- the game's driving force isn't getting an Ub3r Char with all the lootz. No, KOTOR's greatest strength are the character interactions, really. The deeper you can interact with characters, the better the game will be, I think.

I hate it when people get all queasy at the thought of games experimenting with new concepts. Romance in RPGs for instance, hasn't really been explored very much. The damn industry is full enough with gimmicks as it is..

This is my opinion, anyways.

Thats crap, since at least FF VI there have been romances in RPGs.

Point is as FF simply thrown a pre generated character and since we simply play it they could include more meaninful romances in the game because the player was stuck with doing the romance since the character motivation was already done, a example of that is Squall/Rinoa romance in FF VIII that became the drive of the game.

However when they make open character generation they cannot simply make it too deep since the player might decide to just ignore the romance option, that is the problem in open character generation since they have to present motivations for the character to do things instead of "being in the script".

Romances in RPGs been around for quite some time, in fact FF XII so far appears to be moving away from a direct romance because that was done present in VIII,IX,X and X-2.

drakron.png

Sure, romance has been in a good few FF games. Perhaps I haven't been specific enough, FF games never have the player in charge of developing or influencing the characters. The player's job is to just make sure that the characters stay alive against the baddies, and listens to what they have to say during lapses in the baddie killing. You can't add much flexibility with character interactions in this style of RPG..

When it comes to the concept of the player interacting with characters and developing a "romance" from these interactions, games haven't really gone very far. BGII is probably the best example of interactive romance in RPGs, and I think this did a good job adding depth to the characters and the game. Sure, you didn't even have to get involved with anyone, but the fact that these extra interactions with certain characters existed, gave good reason to play through the game again. That's a big sign of a good RPG I believe; there being enough depth to motivate you enough to play the game several times over. Lastly, these choices made BGII feel less like "just another computer game", and more like an epic story with believable people.

Even BGII didn't cover nearly every romance-RPG concept though. As I recall, after falling in love with an NPC, you HAD to break it off for whatever reason, regardless of who the NPC was. In future games, it would be interesting for instance, to have two characters fall in love mid-way through, and then seeing if the relationship actually holds strong right up to the end of the game through further interaction and events.

You're correct about the depth/choice problem, though. I imagine the only real way to work around this is to just spend tons of time creating tons of different possible interactions and relationships to cater to everyone. Still, there's no need to go backwards and have no romances at all.

I think that's my point. Maybe not, who cares!

the best romance we can recalls from a crpg never even gets mention.

ravel loved the nameless one.

most other crpg romances is just seem likes kinda silly adolescent pre-teen stuff, but folks like'em.

obviously Gromnir is not the target audience for romances so far.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I second the sentiment. Ravel's love for the Nameless One is anything but 'cliched' and 'pre-teen.'

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Wouldn't the romance be an option? So what would it really matter if the placed it in the game? If you want to go down that path,if you don't then simply don't. Do both if you want. I've never understood why there's always such a problem with options in games. Option means it can be done,not that is has to be.

I second the sentiment. Ravel's love for the Nameless One is anything but 'cliched' and 'pre-teen.'

^^ Right :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The current sludge marketed under the term "romance" these days, in my opinion, is just recycled garbage that isn't even worth the paper it's printed on.

My exact thoughts on the KOTOR romances...

what do you want? have the character and the NPCs go out for dinner first? make a little walk in the park? go watch the moons of tattoine and chill in a bar? do you want them to talk for hours about their favourite colours?

wake up- it's a game. just use your imagination and assume that all this stuff is happening while the group is travelling along. <_<

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

The romances in KoTOR were what hooked me most. I loved the flirting between Carth and my female PC. I had hoped for it to be more developed - like a kiss included as it was for Bastila/male Revan.

I hope that the developers include more indepth romances with KoTOR 2 as it only serves to enhance the experience of the game more. I love the interactions between all of the characters and it would be a shame if they arn't included in Sith Lords.