What Does It Take To Make Game?

Craftsman

Yes, QA is VERY important!

Given the state some recent RPGs have been released in, obviously not as important as you'd think...

Oh I beg to differ! There are two things that make a game leave in a crappy state and it ain't QA Barney! Time and Money. Say it with me now... TIME AND MONEY. There are SO many bugs that everyone knows about but there is no time or money to fix them. That's why (for PCs anyway) there is a magical thing called Patches! Yay!!

what it takes to make a game? hmm... maybe game story? using a Point of interest that translates into a game. lets say you like a certain interest. for example: sci fi.. oh yeha we got plenties of that but what if you had a better idea of it :p there is the possiblities of a game. (tabletop works for me)

QA's necessary. Otherwise, game won't sell for long. TOEE did have three weeks of nothing but testing (which isn't long enough) so it still had QA. I'm sure they tested before then but that was when they became feature complete. They wanted another month but Atari said no.

QA's necessary. Otherwise, game won't sell for long. TOEE did have three weeks of nothing but testing (which isn't long enough) so it still had QA. I'm sure they tested before then but that was when they became feature complete. They wanted another month but Atari said no.

Like I said, its necessary to make a GOOD game.

If you guys (JDG, Zantetsukon), are going to quote me, at least use the whole [extremely short] post.

only takes 3 things to makes games... far as we seen.

1) an indefinite number of creative folks that did not score well 'nuff on their gmat/gre/lsat/mcat to go on and get real education/job.

2) a lever (a person or otherwise,) to motivate folks that is, by their nature or upbringing, slackers.

3) money.

money can buy you training and gives you time to develop a product and it makes available all sort of resources you need for developing games, but regardless of the money you got, you still need talented folks and you need a way to motivate them on a project that will inevitably last longer than the 2 hours that RotK runs... which is probably the average game geeks max attention span.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Need more people that dont give a damn about sales and more about how quality the game is, put all their effort into it instead of going half-assed so they can get out it quicker for teh monies, try things people havent, just make something awesome.

If only BioWare could learn this, heh.

This is a near impossible question. Games arrive on the shelves in all sorts of different states ranging from horrible to amazing. One single human can make a great game if he has the talent.

If you are asking how to make the best game anyone has ever seen, well, you are asking the same question every developer would like the answer to. Probably be best to ask a developer with a near flawless track record, which is completely subjective. I would consider Blizzard to have a near flawless record, but I am sure several people even in this forum would disagree with how great their games are.

I think the most obvious answers are, a great idea and a great team to implement the idea. That team has to have talent in all aspects of video game design. Artists, programmers, sound engineers, designers, testers, and management.

And guess what? Even if you have all the above elements, you can still make a flop.