Hey.

Just want to collect some thoughts on how I should make a decent damage dealer that's purely ranged. I want to be more like a snipy character, staying back and shooting from a safe distance, maybe even get a bit closer and go for the annoying backline squishies.

I'd prefer builds that employ dual pistol (or maybe even blunderbusses) or bows, namely Frostseeker. Any ideas are welcome, no class restrictions.

Go ham!

Strongest ranged dps at the moment is:

streetfighter/x class (x class = whatever you want but good choices are bleakwalker, helwalker, ascendant, berserker, sharpshooter, devoted)

you will use one of the better blunderbusses in the game, kitchen sink or fire in the hole (or dual wield one with Scordeo's pistol) and use blunderbuss+pistol modal for insane fast attacks and recovery thanks to streetfighter flanked bonuses. naturally you can use stuff like escape (rogue) to get to the enemy's backline and snipe them. 

after the rogue variant (streetfighter) the best ranged dps class is still lol-zerker, even though you give up a lot of nice melee capability of berserker's carnage but hey at range it's still great

berserker/x class (again, good choices are bleakwalker, helwalker, ascendant, berserker, sharpshooter, devoted)

instead of blunderbuss modal or streetfighter, you will just rely on good old frenzy for attack speed, damage and penetration bonuses. works very well with bows (that unique hunting bow in particular) as you are not restricted to using a blunderbuss and the hunting bow is the best single target dps in this setup while something like Frostseeker would combine well with sharpshooter driving flight for more aoe hits. 

Berserker comes with with some good movement abilities (speed/leap) and defense (savage defiance). Speed or leap can be used to maneuver to back liners and back, while savage defiance makes you a bit more tanky in a pinch should enemies start going for your toon. 

The other issue with dual blunderbuss is that you can easily find yourself effectively in melee due to short range. That's good for some builds, but if you specfically want a ranged character, it may not meet your needs.

Ranger/Cipher and Rogue/Cipher both deserve mention as excellent ranged options.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

The other issue with dual blunderbuss is that you can easily find yourself effectively in melee due to short range. That's good for some builds, but if you specfically want a ranged character, it may not meet your needs.

Ranger/Cipher and Rogue/Cipher both deserve mention as excellent ranged options.

I was pretty torn between those exact ones, actually. I'm also planning on having a chanter for the ranged speed buff in the party.

I just wanted to try dual pistol at some point simply because it's so piraty and badass lol. How exactly do reloads happen with dual ranged weapons, though? I remember trying it at some point when the game came out, but I recall it being somewhat clunky or not reloading properly, idk.

Oh yeah how does melee/ranged dual wield work exactly btw?

streetfighter/x class (x class = whatever you want but good choices are bleakwalker, helwalker, ascendant, berserker, sharpshooter, devoted)

you will use one of the better blunderbusses in the game, kitchen sink or fire in the hole (or dual wield one with Scordeo's pistol) and use blunderbuss+pistol modal for insane fast attacks and recovery thanks to streetfighter flanked bonuses. naturally you can use stuff like escape (rogue) to get to the enemy's backline and snipe them. 

That's not really what I'd call ranged fighting, you're bringing pistols to a sword fight is all.

Concerning OP's question, I constantly find Maia to be very effective as Scout (Ranger/Rogue). Of course her special subclass (gunhawk) and gear make her probably even better suited to the sniper role than your player character can get as a Scout.

Edited by M4xw0lf

If you want to play with Frostseeker i use it very effectively in this build:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103542-single-class-build-arcana-archer-ranger/

I also have a Handmortar build for spreading rogue and monk affliction in AoEs here:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/102507-class-build-the-howitzer/

(If you play in party u can use X2 aoe blunders)

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103542-single-class-build-arcana-archer-ranger/

I also have a Handmortar build for spreading rogue and monk affliction in AoEs here:

How does that Frostseeker build work? You put AS on your summon, then hit it 6 times with the aoe proc and you get 6x AS hits + the aoe procs from the bow?

How does that Frostseeker build work? You put AS on your summon, then hit it 6 times with the aoe proc and you get 6x AS hits + the aoe procs from the bow?

I put AS on myself but only on bigger fights. The trick is to pack mobs tightly together with pull of eora then root them in place with thorny roots, then find the target with lowest deflection - send ur pet on him and mark him then destroy them with Frostseeker and twin shots. This generates an insane amount of small Frostseeker AoEs because of twin shots and driving flight. This is also why AS scrolls are so extremely effective on this build.

I put AS on myself but only on bigger fights. The trick is to pack mobs tightly together with pull of eora then root them in place with thorny roots, then find the target with lowest deflection - send ur pet on him and mark him then destroy them with Frostseeker and twin shots. This generates an insane amount of small Frostseeker AoEs because of twin shots and driving flight. This is also why AS scrolls are so extremely effective on this build.

Does AS work differently in Deadfire? Wiki only has the PoE 1 version on it. I thought it works the same - every time they strike you, you trigger the spell. But I'm guessing it's different here.

Does AS work differently in Deadfire? Wiki only has the PoE 1 version on it. I thought it works the same - every time they strike you, you trigger the spell. But I'm guessing it's different here.

Yeah it procs every time they strike u or whenever u strike them. So for every hit with Frostseeker AS will proc. It also procs on the AoE generated by frostseeker crits resulting in massive amount of procs when u use frostseeker with driving flight and twin shot on tightly packed mobs. Even Eotens explode almost instantly

I'm having fun playing Maia as a scout (rogue/ranger) with the Red Hand arquebus/Frostseeker. Red hand does great damage on smaller packs and single targets and frostseeker helps clear the bigger packs of enemies. She keeps up in damage with my melee rogue/fighter.

I suggest Pale Elf + Wizard/Streetfighter :

* Use Svef
* Take Tuotilo's Palm
* Put chill fog under your fit before fight
* Summon minor blights
* Enjoy 100DM AOE per hit with super high deflection and abilities transferring

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Spearcaster on Aloth is loads o’ fun

Doesn't that slow him down too much? Although that arbalest is better with metaphysics, right?

It’s better with Arcana. And because reloading pauses (not resets like recovery) he will just resume where he currently is after casting a spell. With the upgrade that gives a chance to cast minor missiles on hit, it’s a really accurate and fun build.

Here's a Frostseeker build I made recently. Dorftek's looks to be stronger but also requires a bit more micro. If you want more of a set and forget that you can still use to snipe priority targets then this should do the trick. Could also incorporate AS scrolls too as it doesn't have any skill requirements, though the AoE will still be weaker as you can't take twin shots.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103931-frostyboy-frostseeker-hunter/

Here's a Frostseeker build I made recently. Dorftek's looks to be stronger but also requires a bit more micro. If you want more of a set and forget that you can still use to snipe priority targets then this should do the trick. Could also incorporate AS scrolls too as it doesn't have any skill requirements, though the AoE will still be weaker as you can't take twin shots.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103931-frostyboy-frostseeker-hunter/

I'm not too worried about twin shots honestly. By the time I reach that level it's close to end game. And I love multi-classes.

after the rogue variant (streetfighter) the best ranged dps class is still lol-zerker, even though you give up a lot of nice melee capability of berserker's carnage but hey at range it's still great

berserker/x class (again, good choices are bleakwalker, helwalker, ascendant, berserker, sharpshooter, devoted)

instead of blunderbuss modal or streetfighter, you will just rely on good old frenzy for attack speed, damage and penetration bonuses. works very well with bows (that unique hunting bow in particular) as you are not restricted to using a blunderbuss and the hunting bow is the best single target dps in this setup while something like Frostseeker would combine well with sharpshooter driving flight for more aoe hits. 

Berserker comes with with some good movement abilities (speed/leap) and defense (savage defiance). Speed or leap can be used to maneuver to back liners and back, while savage defiance makes you a bit more tanky in a pinch should enemies start going for your toon.

Is using one blunderbuss better than dual wielding two of them? Also, what makes Streetfighter/x so good? Is it the blunderbuss damage? CC?

Is using one blunderbuss better than dual wielding two of them? Also, what makes Streetfighter/x so good? Is it the blunderbuss damage? CC?

The main reason to run Streetfighter is for the -50% Recovery Speed which is easily activated by using the Blunderbuss modal.

Whether you dual wield or not is really up to preference. I personally think dual wielding eventually wins out in damage, but one-handed can be good early game when accuracy is an issue.

The main reason to run Streetfighter is for the -50% Recovery Speed which is easily activated by using the Blunderbuss modal.

Whether you dual wield or not is really up to preference. I personally think dual wielding eventually wins out in damage, but one-handed can be good early game when accuracy is an issue.

But the model hurts your Perception and Accuracy correct?

On a ranged streetfighter I find I can get bloodied (and get the bonus) fairly quickly by using dual scepters and the sceptre modal. on ranged it works as you typically don't take too much damage, and once you are bloodied you get the streetfighter bonus as when you are flanked but you don't get penalties to accuracy.