"Adventure Mode", like in Diablo 3!

Character creation in Deadfire is very interesting, with lots of viable multiclass combinations and different playstyles.

The problem is that each time you want to test a new build for your watcher, you need to start from the beginning, starting at the same location, following the same main quests to advance the story.

I believe it would be great for the game replayability to add an "Adventure Mode", similar to the one in Diablo 3, where you can create your character (or party) and start having fun by visiting and fighting in all the available locarions and dungeons, straight from the beginning, without the need to repeat the same quests during each playthrough.

The auto-scaling function should be improved in order to consider the pary size, not only the watcher level and the game difficulty level, in order to create a really linear level of challenge, avoiding the frustration of being too low level to complete a specific dungeon.

Small random radiant quests could be added to reward the player that completed a dungeon or explored a certain location, just to help the exping and to generate some valuable random loot.

This mode could be made available only to those who completed the main quest in a previous playthrough, to guarantee that the classic RPG nature of the game is not altered too much.

That way the original game story unfolds during the first complete playthrough, then each player may decide to focus more on character creation, field testing, exping, looting and exploration, rather than repeating the same quests again and again. 

• Like 1

The procedural generation dungeons from Diablo 3 work great for an endless hack and slash game like Diablo or Path of Exile. It has nothing to do with a true RPG like Pillars of Eternity. If that's what you want, then you want a different game, not Pillars of Eternity. I do not support this idea in any way. 

• Like 6

I agree that it would be nice to skip straight to the part where you get your boat, which is where the game really starts, in a lot of respects. The Port Maje stuff is good, but it's good in the same way that the Irenicus Chateau or the Fade or lots of "tons of fun the first time through, gets repetitive" stuff is good.

The procedural generation dungeons from Diablo 3 work great for an endless hack and slash game like Diablo or Path of Exile. It has nothing to do with a true RPG like Pillars of Eternity. If that's what you want, then you want a different game, not Pillars of Eternity. I do not support this idea in any way. 

OP didn't say anything about procedural generation. They said they wanted to be able to skip to the meat of the game and try builds and stuff. "Small random quests," were mentioned, but that's not exactly the same thing. Even if they had asked for procedural generation, which they didn't, it's not exactly crazy for them to think, "wow I really like this gameplay and ruleset, wouldn't it be cool if it could be fitted to a different gameplay structure that I also like?" I wouldn't want Obsidian to pour their time and energy into such either, but saying that the OP clearly wants a different game is a misstatement of what was said in the first place.

Also: D3 and Path of Exile don't use procedural area or enemy generation (they do have random loot, but in D3 it becomes almost totally irrelevant around level 55, and in PoExile it's the single most hateful part of the game). D3 has pseudo-random event spawns at defined nodes of prebuilt areas. PoExile has occasional random events based on prophecies or League bonuses. Not even their post-games are procedural.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I mean, you can test full party builds at any inn in the game. When I want to try out a new build, I never do it with a new game - I create a handful of level ~15 adventurers and sick them on Queen Onekaza/Captain Furrante. So the game has us covered in terms of build testing (aside from blood pool bonuses, etc).

As for wanting a more combat-centric "mode," you might find less enjoyment from that kind of experience than you'd think given that PoE2 (mostly) did away with attrition-based gameplay. I suppose you could do something like BG:EE/BG2:EE's Black Pits, but I really don't think that fits with PoE's aesthetic. The 2nd DLC is supposed to be more combat-centric, so maybe that will provide something that appeals to everyone without entertaining the (imo awful) path of games like Diablo.

While I don’t like OPs idea for Deadfire, the Obsidian team has expressed interest on reddit in doing an Icewind Dale style POE spinoff. I’d be thrilled with a game like that.

For the uninitiated - that would be a Pillars game focused more on character creation, team building and combat / dungeon exploration rather than companions and narrative.

• Like 1

I haven't used the console much in Deadfire, but if it's like POE1, couldn't you just use it to teleport to any location, and then fight any battle you wanted to fight?

Don't really think it's something taht deserves development resources, but it'd be cool to be able to console it like that.

I’d love a more combat focused game. The exposition and exploration is mostly a chore for me after the first time through and I hate doing fetch quests almost as much as I hate skipping them. But I adore the character building and combat system.

I think that would be more appropriate as another game, though. I doubt it could be done in a satisfying way as an alternate game mode tacked on to deadfire, though I’d be delighted to be proven wrong.

While I don’t like OPs idea for Deadfire, the Obsidian team has expressed interest on reddit in doing an Icewind Dale style POE spinoff. I’d be thrilled with a game like that.

For the uninitiated - that would be a Pillars game focused more on character creation, team building and combat / dungeon exploration rather than companions and narrative.

I would love this. What exactly did they say?