Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #52 - Beast of Winter Preview

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

DiabolicallyRandom

DiabolicallyRandom

Aleax of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:DreamWraith
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I cannot, and I didn't. All I did was state that the quality of the T:ToN physical good was poor, which it was.

Really? Thats some real interesting revisionist viewing of your prior post. You didn't explicitly make claims about the physical goods quality, but you made some pretty cut and dry implicit claims regarding how the quality of the Torment physical goods were worse than Deadfire.

Worse than WL2, possibly. I have no experience of WL2's fulfillment so I cannot comment to that effect.

Worse than T:ToN, however, not really. The way physical goods were handled for T:ToN, and the quality thereof, was abysmal. Obsidian made a faux pas with communication re Deadfire's physical goods, but in no way are they T:ToN-tier bad.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'll bite for this once, but if this ventures further into "nitpicking semantics" territory I'll simply let go.

Obsidian has never, to the best of my knowledge, communicated to us about the quality of their physical goods. Certainly not in any recent backer updates. From which it logically ensues that if I talk about Obsidian's communication with regards to their physical goods, I cannot possibly be referring to their quality, about which Obsidian hasn't been communicating.

They have, however, been communicating about the timeline for delivery, which is the very subject people are complaining about—you included. Again, the logical conclusion to draw when I mention Obsidian's communication re their physical goods, is that I'm referring to their communicating about the delivery timeline.

Moving on to the rest of the sentence, "they" refers to Obsidian and not to the Deadfire goods. I was specifically challenging your point about Obsidian doing as bad with the Deadfire's physical goods as inXile did with T:ToN's (in general terms; inXile also ended up giving buyers of the retail CE a better deal than to backers, which Obsidian hasn't done as far as I'm aware.) I'll concede my wording wasn't perhaps the clearest, but implicitly accusing me of intellectual dishonesty was uncalled for.

Edited by AndreaColombo, 23 July 2018 - 10:35 AM.

• Tick, draego, Blades of Vanatar and 2 others like this

DiabolicallyRandom

DiabolicallyRandom

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'll bite for this once, but if this ventures further into "nitpicking semantics" territory I'll simply let go.

Obsidian has never, to the best of my knowledge, communicated to us about the quality of their physical goods. Certainly not in any recent backer updates. From which it logically ensues that if I talk about Obsidian's communication with regards to their physical goods, I cannot possibly be referring to their quality, about which Obsidian hasn't been communicating.

They have, however, been communicating about the timeline for delivery, which is the very subject people are complaining about—you included. Again, the logical conclusion to draw when I mention Obsidian's communication re their physical goods, is that I'm referring to their communicating about the delivery timeline.

Moving on to the rest of the sentence, "they" refers to Obsidian and not to the Deadfire goods. I was specifically challenging your point about Obsidian doing as bad with the Deadfire's physical goods as inXile did with T:ToN's (in general terms; inXile also ended up giving buyers of the retail CE a better deal than to backers, which Obsidian hasn't done as far as I'm aware.) I'll concede my wording wasn't perhaps the clearest, but implicitly accusing me of intellectual dishonesty was uncalled for.

I don't know what you are "biting". 

Nothing I said in response was uncalled for. If you felt your words were misinterpreted, thats great and you are welcome to clarify. 

Their "updates" amount to very little information at all as far as timelines, and they have never given a single firm timeframe for anything. About as open-ended as they could be - at the least, with Wasteland 2, they actually announced a delivery timeframe and met it in the end, even if their fulfillment was over a half a year late.

PoE:I was nothing like this, getting physical goods mere weeks after release. And their communication about their "delays" has amounted to "we are working on it" and "coming soon", which is anything but "transparent". Of course, if this is incorrect, please by all means, feel free to share this open and transparent dialogue that I have somehow missed.

Flow

Flow

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

First DLC going to be out before we get our physical rewards. Just lol. What a farce.

Trickling out shipments like this leads me to suspect a cash flow problem.

Oh, well. I, too, gave Obsidian the benefit of the doubt given their excellent fulfillment record with PoE. Won't be making that mistake again.

• DiabolicallyRandom likes this

hermamora

hermamora

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts

Vatnir looks amazing as well as other concepts.

But I'm slightly disappointed he's sidekick and not companion. 

About shipments... as an export manager I can say there are many thing could lead to delay so, please, be patient and don't push Obsidian.  

• Achilles, Tick, esyvjrt and 2 others like this

DiabolicallyRandom

DiabolicallyRandom

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

About shipments... as an export manager I can say there are many thing could lead to delay so, please, be patient and don't push Obsidian.  

And nearly ALL of those things can be communicated to customers who are waiting and waiting and waiting. Plenty of crowdfunded projects experience delays on physical goods fulfillment. Of all of them I have experienced, those delays are actually explained.

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1304 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, if he's the leader of this doomsday cult, then he must play a significant role in the story. You'd think that would be companion worthy. I guess any new party members in the DLCs will be sidekick from now on. 

I hate to complain, because it looks awesome, but it would have been really really nice if they added the Priest of Rymrgand class or the new Godlike as selectable options for your main character.

Edited by Heijoushin, 25 July 2018 - 11:48 PM.

• ThacoBell likes this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
^ I believe it should be easy to make them available via mods once the DLC lands. I’m actually a fan of companion-/sidekick-only races and classes as it makes them feel special. They have something unique to bring to the table that would otherwise be unavailable. I feel that giving the player access to avian/marin/endings godlikes or the unique companion subclasses would cheapen them and make the relative companions less special.
  • Heijoushin, mungomunk, thundercleese and 5 others like this

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3044 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

And nearly ALL of those things can be communicated to customers who are waiting and waiting and waiting. Plenty of crowdfunded projects experience delays on physical goods fulfillment. Of all of them I have experienced, those delays are actually explained.
Whereas all Obsidian has done is send us pictures of the giant fort they are building with our stuff. Bastards.

Big-Ben

Big-Ben

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Steam:Big Ben
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Whereas all Obsidian has done is send us pictures of the giant fort they are building with our stuff. Bastards.

There are two forts actually. One for boys and one for girls. Neither is allowed in each others forts and this has caused mass confusion at the office.

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3044 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

There are two forts actually. One for boys and one for girls. Neither is allowed in each others forts and this has caused mass confusion at the office.
It shouldn’t be too hard; the girl fort has all the Cosmo plushies taped to the ramparts like gargoyles
  • Big-Ben likes this

ThacoBell

ThacoBell

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Yeah, if he's the leader of this doomsday cult, then he must play a significant role in the story. You'd think that would be companion worthy. I guess any new party members in the DLCs will be sidekick from now on. 

I hate to complain, because it looks awesome, but it would have been really really nice if they added the Priest of Rymrgand class or the new Godlike as selectable options for your main character.

I agree. I HATE it when games go, "Looks at al this cool stuff NPCs can use. Want to use it? Too bad!" Players should have access to all the tools npcs do.

house2fly

house2fly

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1163 posts
On the other hand it's nice for party members to have something unique about them
  • Achilles, Tick, AndreaColombo and 2 others like this

bjon045

bjon045

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

No weekly update on the status of the physical kickstarter items?!?!?

ThacoBell

ThacoBell

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

On the other hand it's nice for party members to have something unique about them

Make thier personality what makes them unique. Or give them a special ability or equipement. Don't wave fun classes in my face and go, "Haha you can't do this."

• Heijoushin likes this

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Make thier personality what makes them unique. Or give them a special ability or equipement. Don't wave fun classes in my face and go, "Haha you can't do this."

There's something to say for either of these perspectives. When a party member has some unique mechanic, that's can be cool. OTOH, it can be frustrating when the party member is mandatory in order to toy around with the mechanic in question. I think the big thing is finding a middle ground where party members have unique things that are not too different from what's otherwise available.

• ThacoBell and handsomenat like this

house2fly

house2fly

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1163 posts
You can do it, the party members are under your control just as much as the player character. Your companions' unique classes and abilities are specifically for you to use. The game isn't... taunting you(???)

Big-Ben

Big-Ben

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Steam:Big Ben
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I personally like the idea of having things outside my playing field. If done correctly it makes the NPC more special. While we could debate him as a character I really liked Haer Dalis from Baldur's Gate II. His class most certainly wasn't off limits but his race, Tiefling and his twin swords most certainly were.

I suppose an issue might arise if it's TOO appealing though. I always wanted to cast spells like Irenicus did in those cutscenes but alas I was only part god and that just wasn't enough.

• AndreaColombo and dukeisaac like this

ThacoBell

ThacoBell

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

You can do it, the party members are under your control just as much as the player character. Your companions' unique classes and abilities are specifically for you to use. The game isn't... taunting you(???)

No, I CAN'T. I cannot make a character with the cool class. I HAVE to dredge someone else along, and I'm stuck with that NPC just to try the new tools. What if I don't like their personality? What if I want to play around with stats and different builds? I CAN'T do any of that.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

No, I CAN'T. I cannot make a character with the cool class. I HAVE to dredge someone else along, and I'm stuck with that NPC just to try the new tools. What if I don't like their personality? What if I want to play around with stats and different builds? I CAN'T do any of that.

Thankfully, Deadfire makes that fairly easy to mod so you should be able to play around with the cool tools eventually (and my guess is actually fairly soon after the DLC's release.) ;)

Personally, when I get a new companion and their race and class are from the same list I have access to as a player (i.e. no unique race or subclass), I'm underwhelmed. "Oh yeah, more of the same I could already have for my character. Nothing special for me to see here. Moving along..."

Obviously that's not always necessarily the case and there can be (and there are) great characters who are great by virtue of their personality and story arc, despite having "standard" races and classes.

I'm just making a broad statement about how I feel on average when I recruit companions. Those with unique stuff I couldn't normally get have that extra kick that makes me want them and like them more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users