Update #52 - Beast of Winter Preview

He is a sidekick so sadly, no.

"Vatnir's role won't just end with the DLC, however - you can bring him on your adventures throughout the Deadfire and he will chime in where he can."

I thought that the sidekicks never reacted to the world or interacted with the other NPCs after they're recruited.

Edited by Insolentius
  • Like 1

He is confirmed to have banter but also he is explicitly called a sidekick literally in the first page of this thread. I take it as a confirmation of his status.

Also Rekke is a sidekick but after an in-game month or so he learns Aedyran and you can talk to him. Has some content, still a sidekick. What sidekicks don't have is the relationship system.

• Like 2

A one-sentence description of something is often more interesting than a thorough exploration of it. Woah, a psychic pirate who used to be a slave? An ethnic Huana who works as a spy and assassin for Rauatai? A fanatical priest of Gaun on a mission to collect souls? Sign me up!

• Like 4

With one-sentence description you can fill in the blanks with whatever interpretation you think would work best; with fleshed-out companions you might be left with disappointment at how they were handled and how unexplored some of their aspects were. Looking at sidekicks we have I wouldn't call most of them more interesting than the companions, though I believe all of them could be fleshed out in interesting ways. But if reading this forum has taught me anything is that it's all very subjective.

• Like 3

I find it funny that the sidekicks tend to be more interesting and unique than most of the main companions. How the hell did Obsidian manage to mess that up???

Is your intention to copy and paste this as many times as you can?
  • Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I find it funny that the sidekicks tend to be more interesting and unique than most of the main companions. How the hell did Obsidian manage to mess that up???

Is your intention to copy and paste this as many times as you can?

Is it your intention to moderate these forums when you are clearly not a moderater?

First DLC going to be out before we get our physical rewards. Just lol. What a farce.

Things come down different pikes.

And of ALL things, the PHYSICAL rewards would be the easiest to lock in and get manufactured EARLIER, as they don't get changed much, and they were already well established what they would be long ago.

As for the game itself after all, as they have shown, they can keep developing the game itself long after release.

PoE set the bar for reward fulfillment. After backing Wasteland 2 and Torment from InXile, I felt disappointed, and was happy again to back an Obsidian project. As it turns out, the PoEII fulfillment is even worse than WL2 and Torment.

I get it, some people are super happy, others never even backed a physical tier. It's rather frustrating however being someone who commits a larger portion of financial backing essentially receiving poorer treatment.

And now this update indicates some people might not even be receiving their physical rewards until the end of the year? This is patently ridiculous. What is the excuse here? Have they run into issues? Was a manufacturing run done poorly and they had to have them remake things? If so, one would think they would explain those issues to their loyal customers. Lacking that, we are left to have an understanding that simply they have dragged ass getting their physical reward tier backers taken care of, due to mismanagement, incompetence, or both. The fact that they have given literally zero explanation as to the delay is certainly indicative of that.

PoE set the bar for reward fulfillment. After backing Wasteland 2 and Torment from InXile, I felt disappointed, and was happy again to back an Obsidian project. As it turns out, the PoEII fulfillment is even worse than WL2 and Torment.

Worse than WL2, possibly. I have no experience of WL2's fulfillment so I cannot comment to that effect.

Worse than T:ToN, however, not really. The way physical goods were handled for T:ToN, and the quality thereof, was abysmal. Obsidian made a faux pas with communication re Deadfire's physical goods, but in no way are they T:ToN-tier bad.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Worse than WL2, possibly. I have no experience of WL2's fulfillment so I cannot comment to that effect.

Worse than T:ToN, however, not really. The way physical goods were handled for T:ToN, and the quality thereof, was abysmal. Obsidian made a faux pas with communication re Deadfire's physical goods, but in no way are they T:ToN-tier bad.

I was not speaking to quality, merely delivering upon commitments. Obsidian has already far surpassed the worst offender in delays of physical rewards after release that was Torment.

As for quality of the rewards themselves: How can you speak to quality of PoE:II Physical rewards when no one has them in hand as of yet?

As for quality of the rewards themselves: How can you speak to quality of PoE:II Physical rewards when no one has them in hand as of yet?

I cannot, and I didn't. All I did was state that the quality of the T:ToN physical good was poor, which it was.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I cannot, and I didn't. All I did was state that the quality of the T:ToN physical good was poor, which it was.

Really? Thats some real interesting revisionist viewing of your prior post. You didn't explicitly make claims about the physical goods quality, but you made some pretty cut and dry implicit claims regarding how the quality of the Torment physical goods were worse than Deadfire.

I'll bite for this once, but if this ventures further into "nitpicking semantics" territory I'll simply let go.

Obsidian has never, to the best of my knowledge, communicated to us about the quality of their physical goods. Certainly not in any recent backer updates. From which it logically ensues that if I talk about Obsidian's communication with regards to their physical goods, I cannot possibly be referring to their quality, about which Obsidian hasn't been communicating.

They have, however, been communicating about the timeline for delivery, which is the very subject people are complaining about—you included. Again, the logical conclusion to draw when I mention Obsidian's communication re their physical goods, is that I'm referring to their communicating about the delivery timeline.

Moving on to the rest of the sentence, "they" refers to Obsidian and not to the Deadfire goods. I was specifically challenging your point about Obsidian doing as bad with the Deadfire's physical goods as inXile did with T:ToN's (in general terms; inXile also ended up giving buyers of the retail CE a better deal than to backers, which Obsidian hasn't done as far as I'm aware.) I'll concede my wording wasn't perhaps the clearest, but implicitly accusing me of intellectual dishonesty was uncalled for.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 5

I'll bite for this once, but if this ventures further into "nitpicking semantics" territory I'll simply let go.

Obsidian has never, to the best of my knowledge, communicated to us about the quality of their physical goods. Certainly not in any recent backer updates. From which it logically ensues that if I talk about Obsidian's communication with regards to their physical goods, I cannot possibly be referring to their quality, about which Obsidian hasn't been communicating.

They have, however, been communicating about the timeline for delivery, which is the very subject people are complaining about—you included. Again, the logical conclusion to draw when I mention Obsidian's communication re their physical goods, is that I'm referring to their communicating about the delivery timeline.

Moving on to the rest of the sentence, "they" refers to Obsidian and not to the Deadfire goods. I was specifically challenging your point about Obsidian doing as bad with the Deadfire's physical goods as inXile did with T:ToN's (in general terms; inXile also ended up giving buyers of the retail CE a better deal than to backers, which Obsidian hasn't done as far as I'm aware.) I'll concede my wording wasn't perhaps the clearest, but implicitly accusing me of intellectual dishonesty was uncalled for.

I don't know what you are "biting". 

Nothing I said in response was uncalled for. If you felt your words were misinterpreted, thats great and you are welcome to clarify. 

Their "updates" amount to very little information at all as far as timelines, and they have never given a single firm timeframe for anything. About as open-ended as they could be - at the least, with Wasteland 2, they actually announced a delivery timeframe and met it in the end, even if their fulfillment was over a half a year late.

PoE:I was nothing like this, getting physical goods mere weeks after release. And their communication about their "delays" has amounted to "we are working on it" and "coming soon", which is anything but "transparent". Of course, if this is incorrect, please by all means, feel free to share this open and transparent dialogue that I have somehow missed.

First DLC going to be out before we get our physical rewards. Just lol. What a farce.

Trickling out shipments like this leads me to suspect a cash flow problem.

Oh, well. I, too, gave Obsidian the benefit of the doubt given their excellent fulfillment record with PoE. Won't be making that mistake again.

• Like 1

Vatnir looks amazing as well as other concepts.

But I'm slightly disappointed he's sidekick and not companion. 

About shipments... as an export manager I can say there are many thing could lead to delay so, please, be patient and don't push Obsidian.  

• Like 5

About shipments... as an export manager I can say there are many thing could lead to delay so, please, be patient and don't push Obsidian.  

And nearly ALL of those things can be communicated to customers who are waiting and waiting and waiting. Plenty of crowdfunded projects experience delays on physical goods fulfillment. Of all of them I have experienced, those delays are actually explained.

Yeah, if he's the leader of this doomsday cult, then he must play a significant role in the story. You'd think that would be companion worthy. I guess any new party members in the DLCs will be sidekick from now on. 

I hate to complain, because it looks awesome, but it would have been really really nice if they added the Priest of Rymrgand class or the new Godlike as selectable options for your main character.

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 1

^ I believe it should be easy to make them available via mods once the DLC lands. I’m actually a fan of companion-/sidekick-only races and classes as it makes them feel special. They have something unique to bring to the table that would otherwise be unavailable. I feel that giving the player access to avian/marin/endings godlikes or the unique companion subclasses would cheapen them and make the relative companions less special.

• Like 8

And nearly ALL of those things can be communicated to customers who are waiting and waiting and waiting. Plenty of crowdfunded projects experience delays on physical goods fulfillment. Of all of them I have experienced, those delays are actually explained.

Whereas all Obsidian has done is send us pictures of the giant fort they are building with our stuff. Bastards.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Whereas all Obsidian has done is send us pictures of the giant fort they are building with our stuff. Bastards.

There are two forts actually. One for boys and one for girls. Neither is allowed in each others forts and this has caused mass confusion at the office.

Yes! We have no bananas.