Question to devs, what this part does?

It seems to be appearing in codes for AoE abilities/spells. (810 search results in attack.gamedatabundle)

I'm trying to mod WotEP and this code was under attackaoe component. When I removed this below code, sword was still functioning attack-wise.

Have devs or anyone know what's the purpose?

{
"$type": "Game.GameData.AttackRangedComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
"LaunchAttackOnCollision": "false",
"ProjectileCount": 1,
"IgnoreMagicDefense": "false",
"ProjectileConeAngle": 145,
"ProjectilePrefab": "prefabs/projectiles/invisible_projectile.prefab",
"IsMultiHit": "false",
"MultiHitTravelDist": 10,
"MultiHitMaxHits": 0,
"LaunchSource": "Caster",
"LaunchOffset": {
"x": 0,
"y": 0,
"z": 0
},
"LaunchOffsetRandom": {
"x": 0,
"y": 0,
"z": 0
}
}
Edited by tonpix
  • Like 1

You're looking too deeply my friend

I hoped not to have to do this one til next week (my week off is going badly)

I'd answer this in Slack but it's a good Q so I'll mainline this one

EVERYTHING in POE2 has an owner (this is wheishre the GUIDs come in)

So - player (b1ade-0000 - blah) owns things which do things

Now, your Player Character (PC) is an object that itself has ownership of what are referred to as children. I'm not gonna use that version as it don't fit the reality too well

So - my PC has an item - this is where it gets VERY complex

Let's imagine I get First Mod Great Sword

My crappy sword can have up to five attached to it, the one you're after is the AttackID

This is another ownership.. 

So my crappy sword has an AttackID

Wanna guess how crazy this gets ....

Our AttackID can also have many parts - the key you're looking at is included in six Attacks

The ones you're attached to actually control what happens

I'm sorry if this sounds confusing - I know it is

You found the rabbit but not the hole

PM me on Slack (we're friends)

How's my week off going :)

OK Fair warning has been applied

I'm gonna move the domain to https://perspak.com early Feb but will keep all content

There are reasons behind this move which basically boil down to unifying my release schedule

My friends are welcome to play (I'll set you up your own areas if you desire them)

Please note that this process is messy so may take a few weeks 

You're looking too deeply my friend

I hoped not to have to do this one til next week (my week off is going badly)

I'd answer this in Slack but it's a good Q so I'll mainline this one

EVERYTHING in POE2 has an owner (this is wheishre the GUIDs come in)

So - player (b1ade-0000 - blah) owns things which do things

Now, your Player Character (PC) is an object that itself has ownership of what are referred to as children. I'm not gonna use that version as it don't fit the reality too well

So - my PC has an item - this is where it gets VERY complex

Let's imagine I get First Mod Great Sword

My crappy sword can have up to five attached to it, the one you're after is the AttackID

This is another ownership.. 

So my crappy sword has an AttackID

Wanna guess how crazy this gets ....

Our AttackID can also have many parts - the key you're looking at is included in six Attacks

The ones you're attached to actually control what happens

I'm sorry if this sounds confusing - I know it is

You found the rabbit but not the hole

PM me on Slack (we're friends)

How's my week off going :)

I'm aware of links being structured in tree hierarchy, but it still doesn't explain what's the purpose of this specific snippet I quoted above. Normally AttackRanged component is used for ranged weapons with recovery instead reload (for example wizard Rod), but if it's used as supplementary code and doesn't affect how sword behaves, and uses invisible prefab, then it's mystery to me that I can't explain. Thanks though :)

The attack ranged component is needed for any attack, ability/spell/weapon etc that is not a direct single target melee attack.

The AOE component acts like a spell really so it has ranged component to tell it where to aim at.  The invisible prefab comes in handy because it would look silly if there was some kind of projectile for a lot of these AOEs.   The sword would still attack a single target without the ranged component but I didn't think the AOE effect would work.

Did you remove the ranged component from an override file or from the gamefiles completely?  If you just removed it from an override then the game might pick up the ranged attack component from the default files as of last patch.  If you removed it completely from the game and the AOE still works then I'm a little perplexed.. Maybe the AOE defaults to centre on the caster if the ranged component is missing which is what you want for this attack and  you're already facing the right direction for the AoE cone.

• Like 2

The attack ranged component is needed for any attack, ability/spell/weapon etc that is not a direct single target melee attack.

The AOE component acts like a spell really so it has ranged component to tell it where to aim at.  The invisible prefab comes in handy because it would look silly if there was some kind of projectile for a lot of these AOEs.   The sword would still attack a single target without the ranged component but I didn't think the AOE effect would work.

Did you remove the ranged component from an override file or from the gamefiles completely?  If you just removed it from an override then the game might pick up the ranged attack component from the default files as of last patch.  If you removed it completely from the game and the AOE still works then I'm a little perplexed.. Maybe the AOE defaults to centre on the caster if the ranged component is missing which is what you want for this attack and  you're already facing the right direction for the AoE cone.

I've removed from both override (new item from TT1's collection, so there's no base parameters) and original gamedatabundle (wotep). That's why I'm perplexed like you said.

To summarize, the part of code I quoted, is kind of faker/aoe preview only?

If you're 100% sure the AOE is working correctly then I guess there's a default fallback to centre on caster in place for AOE attacks.  I've never thought to remove it before as I assumed it was required.  In most cases it's required and you never know what changes will come so if it's standard in their code it's probably a good idea to keep it in place even if it's not required all of the time.

If you're 100% sure the AOE is working correctly then I guess there's a default fallback to centre on caster in place for AOE attacks.  I've never thought to remove it before as I assumed it was required.  In most cases it's required and you never know what changes will come so if it's standard in their code it's probably a good idea to keep it in place even if it's not required all of the time

That's a good guess, seems game code is relying heavily on templates.

Also, thank you very much for answers, they helped clearing up my education on mods.

I'm attaching image there when with Kilay we've tried to get it working (image done on process we did in middle, but may help anyone in clarifying what my idea is)

post-75413-0-14924100-1532117261_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if it's possible to do what you want to do exactly, though I may not be totally clear on what that is.  Cone attacks (AOEs with

Maybe a janky way to do it would be to make the first attack a very small AOE with the same range as the cone's radius.  The character won't track moving enemies with it, though.

• Like 1