Hey guys, having trouble deciding what to pair with Barbarian. I want to use dual weapons and roll with some companions.

Will I be too squishy if I go with Helwalker? Or is Rogue a better option? (More specifically a streetfighter)

Edit: Sorry for double posting

Edited by sinsae

Both will be squishy. Streetfighter will own more, while being slightly less squishy.

Of course I recommend Berserker.

Less squishy options would involve a Paladin or a Fighter.

One other option is to stay pure. A high level Barbarian is not half bad.

Both will be squishy. Streetfighter will own more, while being slightly less squishy.

Will my party suffer if I go the berserker route?

Not with Breastplate of Caroc and Int restistance upgrade.

Yeah, it will until you get the Modwyr Sword or Devil of Charoc armor (depends on what you did on poe DLC). They give you immunity to charm/confusion. So you can use frenzy without worry. While you don't get that you can have a priest to cast "Supress afliction" or a Cipher "charming" the Berserker (untested).

You can also multiclass with Fighter and cast Tactical Barrage before Frenzy, and you'll never be confused.

Brute (berserker/ fighter) is really fun and does a ton of damage so you barely notice it's squishy-ness between cleave stance and Carnage killing everything. Once you get the rage refund for barbaric strike on kill the brute clears trash very quickly while still hitting single targets very hard.

Always use Berserker. As to your second class, you have a bunch of good options.

Rogue is always a good second class, in either Streetfighter flavor to take advantage of Blooded procs and abilities, or Trickster to help out with your defenses. Generally you'll be frail and tricksy.

Paladin will help to counteract your squishiness, gives you some cool general defensive buffs (including resistance to Int afflictions), and a superb single-target attack/self buff via Eternal Devotion. You'll play a lot like a vanilla barb but sturdier and with healing abilities.

Fighter gives you a lot of good passives and some good actives in Disciplined Strike and Charge and, as has been mentioned, a way to mitigate confusion. Devoted in particular can capitalize on some of a berserker's advantages. You'll be tougher and a bit more versatile.

Monk has a bit of anti-synergy due to granting some of the same inspirations, but it works. Helwalker will hit phenomenally hard, but it's fragile as anything.

Chanter, Cipher, and Wizard also get some mileage from Barb.

Edited by gkathellar

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Always use Berserker. As to your second class, you have a bunch of good options.

Rogue is always a good second class, in either Streetfighter flavor to take advantage of Blooded procs and abilities, or Trickster to help out with your defenses. Generally you'll be frail and tricksy.

Paladin will help to counteract your squishiness, gives you some cool general defensive buffs (including resistance to Int afflictions), and a superb single-target attack/self buff via Eternal Devotion. You'll play a lot like a vanilla barb but sturdier and with healing abilities.

Fighter gives you a lot of good passives and some good actives in Disciplined Strike and Charge and, as has been mentioned, a way to mitigate confusion. Devoted in particular can capitalize on some of a berserker's advantages. You'll be tougher and a bit more versatile.

Monk has a bit of anti-synergy due to granting some of the same inspirations, but it works. Helwalker will hit phenomenally hard, but it's fragile as anything.

Chanter, Cipher, and Wizard also get some mileage from Barb.

Thank you so much for the help you guys. :)

Berserker/Wizard (Warlock) is my favorite melee hybrid in Pillars 2. Your Frenzy applies to spells, which gives you flexibility with grimoires. Most of your core Wizard buffs show up early on so the build works well right out of the box. Simply set up an AI script with Infuse with Vital Essence -> Fleet Feet -> Merciless Gaze -> Frenzy. Defensive spells like Llengrath's Displaced Image and Ironskin add survivability.

I generally go two-weapons with Sword, Flail, and Axe as my primary weapons; sometimes I'll use dual pistols or cast offensive spells. I haven't tried a full on Gish Warlock yet, but I'm sure Citzal's plus Frenzy is devastating.

Edited by Ophiuchus
  • Like 1

Berserker/Wizard (Warlock) is my favorite melee hybrid in Pillars 2. Your Frenzy applies to spells, which gives you flexibility with grimoires. Most of your core Wizard buffs show up early on so the build works well right out of the box. Simply set up an AI script with Infuse with Vital Essence -> Fleet Feet -> Merciless Gaze -> Frenzy. Defensive spells like Llengrath's Displaced Image and Ironskin add survivability.

I generally go two-weapons with Sword, Flail, and Axe as my primary weapons; sometimes I'll use dual pistols or cast offensive spells. I haven't tried a full on Gish Warlock yet, but I'm sure Citzal's plus Frenzy is devastating.

Quick question, since you play this build, do you know if corpse eater power level bonus from corpse eater only food applies to your other class (wizard) spells?

I was thinking of a Tempest build that combines nature godlike, corpse loaf, lord darryn's voulge, and deltro's cage for a boatload of power level with storm spells.