Making WoTEP aoe possible to aim at ground (like invocations) and attack target as well

Right now, default behavior of Whispers of the Endless Paths, is that you have to select target and it will hit side enemies as well. However, there are 2 main issues I'm trying to mod-fix:

1). You can't aim at ground, like chanter invocations can do. Meaning you can't do preemptive strikes for incoming mobs, nor attack multiple mobs that are positioned in weird places (for example 2 mobs with huge gap between them, if you attack one of them, it won't hit nearby enemy. But if you could hit ground, aoe would cover both mobs)

2). You get aoe preview cone, but it seems the real aoe that is invisible, is the one that happens when wielder attacks mob and turns directly to him (which causes incorrect aoe preview, so not hitting side enemies is pretty often event)

Does anyone have ideas how I can get a such improved attack (invocation style free-aim cone + possibility to select target and keep auto-attacking him) ?

I've checked attacks.gamedatabundle. There are 2 parts of wotep, attack and aoe. I assume attack is the one related to auto-attack. According to documentation: 

Requires HitObject (without space, funny censor there catching poop word)
If checked, the user must target a character with this attack. Otherwise, the user may target a location.

This attack module has set it on true. However, setting to false, while it should make possible to "hit" ground (I guess it's what location means), it doesn't change anything. I'm not sure if I'm missing something, or if this is a bug. Could devs clarify this? @BMac @CDiaz

I've tried different approaches/thought, Kilay tried hard too, but we didn't get any success there so far. What I tried:

1). I thought it may just be related to the way how auto-attack from sword icon on bottom, meaning it's hardcoded and not related to how abilities are set. But that's super rough guess without any knowledge to modding

2). Replacing AttackMeleeComponent 

{
"$type": "Game.GameData.AttackMeleeComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
"EngagementRadius": 1,
"IsUnarmed": "false"
}

With hel hyraf 2 components, attackranged and attackaoe

{
"$type": "Game.GameData.AttackRangedComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
"LaunchAttackOnCollision": "false",
"ProjectileCount": 1,
"IgnoreMagicDefense": "false",
"ProjectileConeAngle": 90,
"ProjectilePrefab": "prefabs/projectiles/invisible_projectile.prefab",
"IsMultiHit": "false",
"MultiHitTravelDist": 10,
"MultiHitMaxHits": 0,
"LaunchSource": "Caster",
"LaunchOffset": {
"x": 0,
"y": 0,
"z": 0
},
"LaunchOffsetRandom": {
"x": 0,
"y": 0,
"z": 0
}
}, {
"$type": "Game.GameData.AttackAOEComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
"BlastSize": "Large",
"BlastRadiusOverride": 5,
"DamageAngle": 90,
"ExcludePrimaryTarget": "false",
"IgnoreParentTarget": "false",
"ExcludeSelf": "false",
"BlastPhysicsForce": 500,
"PushFromCaster": "false"
}

No success, I didn't have any aoe previews. Don't know why.

Any ideas or hints? We would appreciate it.

Minor question - what's the fastest way to reload mods, except menu -> refresh mod manager -> load game, maybe console command or unity console?

Cheers,

t

Edited by tonpix
  • Like 1

After some diggesting I noticed something interesting, that I can't explain what is this exactly:

- I've copied rod modal blast aoe components

- when aoe angle is set to 360, you have aoe preview under mouse cursor and if you select target, wielder comes first to "AttackDistance", then attacks. Just as expected from Rod aoe/aoe spells

However, if I set less than 360, it changes two things:

- aoe cone is attached to wielder root (feet)

- selecting far target doesn't force wielder to come closer, he just stands and swings, without reaching target

It's like the angle alone changes from spellcasting mode to invocation mode.

Can anyone spark more light on that? I believe it might be key to solve my issue with trying to get a free-aim melee AOE with automatically walking to enemy in combat range. I also did a picture explanation of what I imagine a ideal aoe melee attack (notes - green circle is mouse cursor, cone behaviour is when angle is <360):

post-75413-0-14924100-1532117261_thumb.jpg

Edited by tonpix