Arquebus or Dual Pistols for a Ranged Assassin? (As in, the Rogue subclass?)

Hey guys, 

Was wondering whether Arquebus or dual pistol would be better for a ranged Assassin (Capital A)? Dual pistols obviously have tremendous style points over arquebuses, but someone told me I'd be limited to Arquebuses if I wanted to make use of the Assassin class. Is that because the first attack from stealth or invisibility breaks the invisibility and thus negates the Assassinate bonuses for the second shot? 

Yes, first attacks will break stealth. However, you can still keep two pistols on a weapon set for when you just need to pump out ranged damage via full attacks. You have a good selection of pistols to do so, and the right combination can give you some of the highest DPS in the game.

So it might be good to open from Stealth with an Arquebus shot and then Pistol/Pistol? Would it still be worth using the invisibility from, say, Shadowing Beyond to get a quick Assassinate with even the first shot of a Pistol full attack? Thundercrack has some really nice enchants on it - I don't know if Scordeo's Prize does (It's not on the wiki, and I haven't the coin to buy it on my Marauder). 

Arquebus. Modal + Asassinate will give you +45 accuracy which will most likely result in a crit which then will give you the bonus damage. Since the arquebus has nice base damage also Backstab will be good. Since guns don't have recovery you can sneak near, shoot and immediately escape.

As you said: the second pistol shot will not get any bonus from Assassinate.

Also no problem to use both: assassinate from stealth and then switch to dual pistols for all the full attacks you might have.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest you Assassin/Bleak Walker with 2x pistols - first attack from invise with crippling strike and second with Flames of Devotion (with Ring +10 to acc), you will  do ~ 300 DM, then you can use only Flames of Devotion to rise your full attack DM to ~400

From Rogue side you need only x3 - x4 smoke veil and x2 - x3 crippling strike to apply ranger affliction

The funniest pistol user with amazing animation :D 

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)