So what am I doing wrong here? I know there’s a quest from Nemnok, but once I start dialogue, my only skill check is a ridiculously high intimidation. Is that really the only option? Either a check I can’t make or a fight I can’t win?

NEMNOK NEMNOK NEMNOK

He's probably the closest you get to an end game boss that isn't the final boss. I failed some of the checks, but I believe there's a couple of other options in dialogue with the right choices.

Fight him anyway, it's a good encounter.

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

* Extremely Detailed Spoiler Warning*

I've only found one way to deal with this quest to my satisfaction, and that is to tell him he's a big imp, IIRC a medium tier diplomacy response lets you suggest that you'll ally with Nemnok and he'll let the kid go. At that point you can say "Nah, just kiddin' buddy." and fight Nemnok, without killing the kid. I've never had enough intimidation to intimidate Nemnok, and I've never attempted the quest line without enough diplomacy to finish it this way. That said the first time I did the quest was on a Diplomacy focused character and I had to muddle through it a few times, since I didn't want to kill the kid.

As for the fight itself, have everyone stealth on the south bridge just inside the entrance and send in either a pet if you have a ranger, or if you have to a tank. I say the pet, because last I checked when you trigger dialog with a pet they run back to hang out with their master. This makes the fight pull the absolute minimum number of adds, take out the worshipers first because they're really easy to kill and their damage adds up. The other higher level spellcasters, then the tanks, and then the big imp himself. Nemnok will teleport away from you, but if you don't go chasing after him he'll also come right back to you so... you can avoid quite a few naga and ettins in the fight. Even with all of that, I'd recommend being level 15 before trying this fight on normal, and I haven't done it on PotD since the latest rebalance so I can't say quite when you should be ready for it at that level. No matter what, avoiding as many adds as possible is the easy way to win this fight IMO.

• 5 months later...

* Extremely Detailed Spoiler Warning*

I've only found one way to deal with this quest to my satisfaction, and that is to tell him he's a big imp, IIRC a medium tier diplomacy response lets you suggest that you'll ally with Nemnok and he'll let the kid go. At that point you can say "Nah, just kiddin' buddy." and fight Nemnok, without killing the kid. I've never had enough intimidation to intimidate Nemnok, and I've never attempted the quest line without enough diplomacy to finish it this way. That said the first time I did the quest was on a Diplomacy focused character and I had to muddle through it a few times, since I didn't want to kill the kid.

As for the fight itself, have everyone stealth on the south bridge just inside the entrance and send in either a pet if you have a ranger, or if you have to a tank. I say the pet, because last I checked when you trigger dialog with a pet they run back to hang out with their master. This makes the fight pull the absolute minimum number of adds, take out the worshipers first because they're really easy to kill and their damage adds up. The other higher level spellcasters, then the tanks, and then the big imp himself. Nemnok will teleport away from you, but if you don't go chasing after him he'll also come right back to you so... you can avoid quite a few naga and ettins in the fight. Even with all of that, I'd recommend being level 15 before trying this fight on normal, and I haven't done it on PotD since the latest rebalance so I can't say quite when you should be ready for it at that level. No matter what, avoiding as many adds as possible is the easy way to win this fight IMO.

How on earth am I supposed to win against Nemnok though?

I'm level 18/19, so most of his his minions are rather easy. But he himself always casts Llengrath's Displaced Image and Arcane something, and even in the few small moments where he isn't protected by that, I still barely do any real damage to him. 

Is there any special kind of weapon or ability I can use to actually win this thing?

Do you get anything special from the dad's quest for saving the kid?  I've never been able to save him so I always have to tell Dad the kid died.

You get a piece of armor that has scaling bonuses based on how much your party members like or hate you: https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Hearth_Defender%27s_Scale (wiki page might be inaccurate about specific numbers, it's only been sporadically updated for the big item nerf that happened many months ago)

Given that half my party tends to be hirelings or the non-fleshed-out companions like mirke or konstanten, it's not very useful to me, but I'm sure people who invest in Eder, Serafen, etc might get mileage out of it.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

Do you get anything special from the dad's quest for saving the kid? I've never been able to save him so I always have to tell Dad the kid died.

You get a piece of armor that has scaling bonuses based on how much your party members like or hate you: https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Hearth_Defender%27s_Scale (wiki page might be inaccurate about specific numbers, it's only been sporadically updated for the big item nerf that happened many months ago)

Given that half my party tends to be hirelings or the non-fleshed-out companions like mirke or konstanten, it's not very useful to me, but I'm sure people who invest in Eder, Serafen, etc might get mileage out of it.

Yeah if you use the companions it's one of the best armors in the game. It also looks awesome.