if the Huana are so interested in their history...

This is a story gripe/confusion:

Given the Huana are meant to be so interested in their history, why don't the Huana explore Engwithan ruins like Poko Kohora?  There are murals in there showing Engwithans sacrificing the Huana.  Wouldn't they be interested to know their relationship with the Engwithans?

Does even *anyone* care about Huana history?  My characters see these murals and say nothing.  Not "Ah looks like the Engwithans were preferentially sacrificing the Huana.  Typical Engwithan."   

And why can't you explain to any of the Huana what you've seen when you explore the ruins?  Do they only want to know their history if it is that the golds loved them very very much and now that they remember they can have all their super powers back and be masters of water?

Why can't you tell the Huana that the gods are constructs -- all of them not just Abydon?

In short why can't you really talk about Huana history with the Huana who are meant to be so obsessed with it?

Because what the Kahanga (and remember, not all Huana are Kahanga) are actually interested in is constructing a historical basis for Huana nationalism. They're not interested in history, they're interested in validation for the idea of a unified Huana kingdom. Mythmaking is a big part of nation building.

Compare/contrast the Rauataian attitude towards the Tanvii Ora Toa, the Principi's view of themselves as a government-in-exile, or the Vailian Republics' compulsive disdain for Old Vailia.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

They do explore Engwithan ruins. Heck, most of the ruins in POE1 and 2 have been explored by looters, but there still seems to be monsters and loot waiting for us. They explicitly mention going to Poko Kohora until the storms started.

• Like 1

Because what the Kahanga (and remember, not all Huana are Kahanga) are actually interested in is constructing a historical basis for Huana nationalism. They're not interested in history, they're interested in validation for the idea of a unified Huana kingdom. Mythmaking is a big part of nation building.

Compare/contrast the Rauataian attitude towards the Tanvii Ora Toa, the Principi's view of themselves as a government-in-exile, or the Vailian Republics' compulsive disdain for Old Vailia.

I think it's really interesting how involved mythmaking (as you put it) is in unifying a cultural and national identity.  It seems to be extremely common when a country is unifying/forming.

One of the things I liked about the Huana in this game is they show a lot of the behavior you'd expect before a collection of cultures form into one.  Both the sort of segmented identities and the kind of efforts to partner them and blur the lines.

They do explore Engwithan ruins. Heck, most of the ruins in POE1 and 2 have been explored by looters, but there still seems to be monsters and loot waiting for us. They explicitly mention going to Poko Kohora until the storms started.

Oh! I actually don't remember that!

There is also a Huana (and Ruatai) woman that shows interest in that historical artifact that Arkemyr has, but in that case, there was an additional or ulterior motive for that.

huana doesn't have the basic animancy to study those old engwithan machine

place like poko kahara are likely explored and forgot multiple time in the past 2000 year

chieftain even have the key of the door

with out a place like rauatai lore college not much can be remembered or useful

Edited by uuuhhii