Sorry for the vague title. I had put the game away waiting for a couple big updates, and wanted to see if someone would help me with a build suggestion in the current game?

I plan to play on normal, with a full party of the pre-made guys (so not a super min/max party).

I want a build that can see as much of the content as possible on a single run, and probably someone who can disarm traps. Other than that, I'm not sure what's good or viable?

I like to play sort of classic adventurers, neutral good rather than lawful good.  I was hoping for a character with low micro requirements though?

Assuming you’re not going for the hardest difficulty (Path of the Damned), anything’s viable. Some would say anything’s viable on Path of the Damned as well, but perhaps not for a first play through.

There’s a link around that tells how many checks there are in the game for each class, skill, companion, etc. I’m on my phone now so I don’t have it handy. Going by memory, the following have the most checks:

- Cipher class

- Aristocrat background

- Deadfire Archipelago provenance

- Tekehu and Xoti companions

- Perception and Resolve attributes

- Insight and Diplomacy skills

Anybody in your party can be given the Mechanics skill to disarm traps so it doesn’t have to be your MC (though it certainly can.)

I’ll try to dig up that link for you when I’m at my desktop.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

If going with the official companions/sidekicks it's benefical to give your MC a very high Perception score. Perception detects traps and secrets in Deadfire, and none of the companions has a Percepton score that is so high that you can reliably find all secrets/traps. 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If going with the official companions/sidekicks it's benefical to give your MC a very high Perception score. Perception detects traps and secrets in Deadfire, and none of the companions has a Percepton score that is so high that you can reliably find all secrets/traps. 

Oh, right! What class plays well with high perception?

Literally all of them :) Perception is a universally useful attribute.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

An Island Aumaua from the Deadfire gets an absolutely enormous number of special responses, many of which specifically require both the race and culture. Fire godlike comes in at a distant second.

For the largest possible number of class-based conversation options, a Goldpact Knight/Priest of Eothas comes out slightly ahead of the pack at 80 total conversation nodes, with Cipher/Priest of Magran and Druid/Priest of Magran close behind at 79 and 78, respectively.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Paladin multiclass looks good. Paladins are really tough to take down and both kind wayfarers and darcozzi paladini could be "neutral good". I think people don't take a favorable view of darcozzi paladini's special power, so kind wayfarer is probably more optimal, if you care. It's hard to imagine a "good" bleak walker, though you could have one that isn't strictly evil, either. Shieldbearers and goldpact knights are explicitly "lawful" and I can't imagine goldpact knights could really manage to be good.

From there, it's more about what you want to do. Paladin fighter will be almost unkillable, can heal and can do good melee damage. Paladin/rogue will be a little more frail (still quite tough!) and deal fantastic damage. Actually, paladin adds great defense, utility and a cheap, powerful melee attack to any class, but other combinations might have more complicated play styles. Paladin/chanter (troubador) is the ultimate jack of all trades. Except it's not master of none here, it does everything and is amazing at everything it does. But it might have more buttons to press than a simple "you point, I punch" melee character.

I noticed that, too. So annoying if I don't want to build a high PER MC.

Literally all of them :) Perception is a universally useful attribute.

There's got to be a build that benefits more from having a high perception than others.  Like a buff-chanter wouldn't get much use out of it, right?

Here's the link I mentioned earlier.

https://wiki.fireundubh.com/deadfire/dialogue-options

EDIT: Damage dealers and crowd controllers will benefit from high PER the most. Healers/Support characters will benefit comparatively less.

Edited by AndreaColombo

Paladin multiclass looks good. Paladins are really tough to take down and both kind wayfarers and darcozzi paladini could be "neutral good". I think people don't take a favorable view of darcozzi paladini's special power, so kind wayfarer is probably more optimal, if you care. It's hard to imagine a "good" bleak walker, though you could have one that isn't strictly evil, either. Shieldbearers and goldpact knights are explicitly "lawful" and I can't imagine goldpact knights could really manage to be good.

From there, it's more about what you want to do. Paladin fighter will be almost unkillable, can heal and can do good melee damage. Paladin/rogue will be a little more frail (still quite tough!) and deal fantastic damage. Actually, paladin adds great defense, utility and a cheap, powerful melee attack to any class, but other combinations might have more complicated play styles. Paladin/chanter (troubador) is the ultimate jack of all trades. Except it's not master of none here, it does everything and is amazing at everything it does. But it might have more buttons to press than a simple "you point, I punch" melee character.

Paladin/Trickster is noteworthy for getting a whole bunch of great melee wizard deflection buffs and a pretty big damage bump in general, to the point that I think it might be even tougher than Paladin/Fighter.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Any build that wants to hit enemies benefits from perception. Of course, once you have enough accuracy that you always hit the enemy anyway, further accuracy is of little use. For casters, though, that's far from trivial. If you're not playing on PotD, melee characters probably don't need perception so much, if you always make sure to break down defenses and build up accuracy against what you're attacking.

In terms of melee builds, monks can build for critical hits, which adds a lot of value to each point of perception. On the other end, soul blades lose more damage from misses than other melee characters. Debuff and control focuses characters, like ciphers, also benefit a lot from accuracy. So a transcendent (monk / soul blade) cares a whole lot about accuracy. But, it's not a low-micro build. I suppose you could mostly ignore your cipher powers other than soul annihilation and play as a standard melee character, but that's not using the class to its fullest.

Any build that wants to hit enemies benefits from perception. Of course, once you have enough accuracy that you always hit the enemy anyway, further accuracy is of little use. For casters, though, that's far from trivial. If you're not playing on PotD, melee characters probably don't need perception so much, if you always make sure to break down defenses and build up accuracy against what you're attacking.

In terms of melee builds, monks can build for critical hits, which adds a lot of value to each point of perception. On the other end, soul blades lose more damage from misses than other melee characters. Debuff and control focuses characters, like ciphers, also benefit a lot from accuracy. So a transcendent (monk / soul blade) cares a whole lot about accuracy. But, it's not a low-micro build. I suppose you could mostly ignore your cipher powers other than soul annihilation and play as a standard melee character, but that's not using the class to its fullest.

So casters in general, or every ranged character, would benefit from high perception?  I'm totally down with playing a sniper or something. Magic in general doesn't woo my pants off.

I should have said weapon character, rather than ranged character, all weapons, melee or ranged, have accuracy bonuses from enchantment and many weapon skills get bonus accuracy, but spells typically don't benefit from either.

There are ranged weapons with special on-crit effects that would be good with a high perception character, though.

For a melee character, you could try a fighter/monk. Devoted/monk gains a lot from perception, between the devoted's high crit damage and the monks on-crit powers. It's also a very straightforward melee character that probably makes the best use of powerful on-hit or on-crit weapons of any build in the game.

Edited by grasida