The topic was already tackled by many here and there, but I couldn't find a comprehensive treatise about that in these forums.  :no:

My question is: which weapons that attack in a AoE or proc an AoE on crit translate the ability effects to all its AoE hits? I did some testing myself and recollected some infos scattered around. And also... what about weapons that do attacks that "bounce"? Does the second attack transfer ability effects? Is there a logic or a general rule behind the translation of ability effects?

Edit: here's what the common knowledge is (patch 1.2):

Normal weapons

WotEP AoE: it does transfer ability effects (Crippling Strike, Blinding Strike, Stunning Blows, etc.); it does NOT work with Swift Flurry and Heartbeat Drumming. 

Whahai Poraga AoE: it does transfer ability effects and it does proc Swift Flurry and Heartbeat Drumming. 

Hand Mortar/Fire in the Hole AoE: it does transfer ability effects (Dorftek made a build around this feature).

Frostseeker AoE on crit: it does NOT translate any ability effect.

Watershaper's Focus* bounce attack: it does apply ability effects.

Rods' modal AoE: it does apply ability effects. *Watershaper's Focus, being also a rod, can then achieve two AoE jumps (=three AoE attacks) with Driving Flight firing just once (as pointed out by Boeroer)

Summoned weapons

Kalakoth's Minor Blights: it transfers rogue ability effects (Crippling Strike, Blinding Strike, etc.) and Stunning Blow. 

Citzal's Spirit Lance: it transfers ability effects and it procs Swift Flurry and Heartbeat Drumming (tested by Boeroer). 

P.S.: I'll keep updating the list if somebody has new infos or any suggestion. 

Edited by peolone

As far as I know, at the moment all AoE weapons that have no special proc chance (such as Frostseeker) translate nearly all ability effects. Hand Mortar, Fire in the Hole, Whahai Poraga, WotEP, Minor Blights, Spirit Lance - they all seem to transport afflictions etc. Even rod's Blast does it again (was removed and then reintroduced). Exceptions: weapon modals such as -10 deflection (pike modal for Spirit Lance): those only work on the initial target. Also Swift Flurry and Heartbeat Drumming don't work with the cone of WotEP, but with Whahai Poraga and Spirit Lance.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

As far as I know, at the moment all AoE weapons that have no special proc chance (such as Frostseeker) translate nearly all ability effects.

Frostseeker crit AoE doesn't apply either blinding strike nor crippling strike to monsters hit by the AoE though. The AoE is probably seen by the game as a different and subsequent attack.

As far as I know, at the moment all AoE weapons that have no special proc chance (such as Frostseeker) translate nearly all ability effects. Hand Mortar, Fire in the Hole, Whahai Poraga, WotEP, Minor Blights, Spirit Lance - they all seem to transport afflictions etc. Even rod's Blast does it again (was removed and then reintroduced). Exceptions: weapon modals such as -10 deflection (pike modal for Spirit Lance): those only work on the initial target. Also Swift Flurry and Heartbeat Drumming don't work with the cone of WotEP, but with Whahai Poraga and Spirit Lance.

For whatever reason, Spirit Lance AoE attack only has the Conjuration keyword ID. If you had, say, a Conjuration modal that increased damage from Conjuration by 20%, then that would apply to Spirit Lance AoE. I'm thinking this was something that fell through the cracks because there really isn't a point to the AoE having a Conjuration keyword other than to screw over the Pike weapon modal.

EDIT: Removed unnecessary text after looking at other posts in different threads. Most people get what's going on with modals and special attack keywords.

Edited by UltimaLuminaire

Also works with Watershaper's Focus: two AoE jumps (=three AoE attacks) with Driving Flight.

Frostseeker crit AoE doesn't apply either blinding strike nor crippling strike to monsters hit by the AoE though. The AoE is probably seen by the game as a different and subsequent attack.

Yes, I meant Frostseeker as an example for a weapon that only has AoE on crit, not always, and thus does NOT translate afflictons. My wording was a bit poor. Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

You could test my theory:

I think weapon AoE which translates abilities SE should be directly related / linked with the Attack data.

You could check it on attacks.gamedatabundle if you want (exported/design/gamedata).

For example, you could find 2 Attack Data entries on WotEP. Both will transfer status effect from weapon abilities.

HandMortar or Tekehu's rod also has bounce component on their own Attack data, so it's affected by weapon abilities.

On the other side, Crits (and its AttackData) from Frostseeker is created by an ItemMod so it's not directly linked.

That's why Carnage can't also apply SE from abilities because it has its own attack data.

You could try to test this yourself if you want, but I believe it's the case.

• Like 1

You could test my theory:

I think weapon AoE which translates abilities SE should be directly related / linked with the Attack data.

You could check it on attacks.gamedatabundle if you want (exported/design/gamedata).

For example, you could find 2 Attack Data entries on WotEP. Both will transfer status effect from weapon abilities.

HandMortar or Tekehu's rod also has bounce component on their own Attack data, so it's affected by weapon abilities.

On the other side, Crits (and its AttackData) from Frostseeker is created by an ItemMod so it's not directly linked.

That's why Carnage can't also apply SE from abilities because it has its own attack data.

You could try to test this yourself if you want, but I believe it's the case.

No idea how to do this one, sorry.  :unsure: