How does one become video game writer?

Melusina

Most game writers I see are established writers from other mediums that are hired for writing or they're developers and designers in their own right. You can learn skills to make games, especially simple ones, or for working on mods.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I have no video game making skills of any kind, but I did publish short story last year in local magazine. I'm Croatian.

Two most likely routes are to become an established writer and then use your status to connect with a studio, or learn at least basic development skills so you can create your own work. There are lots of tools out there that require little coding.

RPGMaker is an easy way to get comfortable with making a game, and has a fair amount of flexibility to implement a story. Probably a good starting point.

• Like 2

Making mods is the best start, I guess. You'll develop a portfolio and you can show what you're actually capable of.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I have no video game making skills of any kind, but I did publish short story last year in local magazine. I'm Croatian.

Can you get me your president's phone number?

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Making mods is the best start, I guess. You'll develop a portfolio and you can show what you're actually capable of.

You can also try working with modder projects to write interesting interactions for their conversations. I suspect that few modders make good writers, although I have seen one or two. Perhaps another approach is to offer to provide a language conversion for a recent game release.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

There are an infinite number of ways to become a writer for a great game. Sometimes it doesn't take as much effort as many would think.

For example, you'd be surprised at how many writers for the biggest AAA games of now were just writing in a basement 7 years ago for a one man Rpg-maker project. With more and more games following the bleak lore-style inspired by souls games, it makes it much more accessible to be a writer in the industry as well.

If you are included in a project that you know there won't be a sequel or prequel to, it enables one to out less effort into the backside of lore while still making it in-depth and quality. So there's a few pointers.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I wish I could make myself an Isometroc turn-based RPG with guns n stuff but yeah, I lack the skills as well. :(

I once started doing conecpt arts so I could try to imagine how different towns would look like but my drawing skills aren't the best. Don't have any coding experience either so I just dropped the whole thing.

The only thing I still have a wee bit hope for is making my own graphic adventure game.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

• 3 weeks later...