Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pathfinder RPG Kingmaker

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 783 posts

From where do you get all the info, that PoE2 flopped hard?

The most trustful sources Codex and reddit.

Other than that? I know it's Codex's wishful thinking for PoE2 to flop, because of Avellone drama, but are there actually any numbers behind that claim? I am really curious, because I like both games, and I would not be very happy, if the IP would go six feet under...

Deadfire Sales

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

Steamspy says that Deadfire sold 100-200.000. At least they guess it. But Pillars also needed some time to sell. I guess Pathfinder could become a sleeper hit. Weren't they all sleeper hits at first (except for D:OS 2. That one sold like crazy, I know that :D ).

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3813 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Other than that? I know it's Codex's wishful thinking for PoE2 to flop, because of Avellone drama, but are there actually any numbers behind that claim? I am really curious, because I like both games, and I would not be very happy, if the IP would go six feet under...

Deadfire Sales

Well your "let me google it for you" link shown exactly same number of results speaking about the sales, as my previous search: 0

Anything available so far are just assumptions from Steam Spy, which is pretty much broken after privacy update taking place. All is just wild guess, but general consensus is:

a) It probably sold less on Steam than PoE, but no one knows for sure, because of Steam Spy not working as intended.

b) it sold very good on GOG, and people are guessing, that it sold better than PoE1 on the platform, but also that are just wild guesses based only on perception, how long it was on top seller chart there.

c) another wild guess is that PoE2 sold better on GOG, than on Steam. But as before, no one knows for sure, because numbers were not released yet.

People will probably only know how good it sold only when Obsid releases the real numbers, or maybe after Fig investors receive money for their shares, and if they decide to share with us, how much they gained/lost from their investment, we can approximate, based on the promises and charts how many copies it sold.

Before that, the PoE2 flopping can be seen as anything, but wishful thinking of Codex based on the Avellone drama, which happened few days before release of the game.

Edited by Mamoulian War, 16 July 2018 - 06:56 AM.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3312 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

There was some Steam data leak or something that said it had a little over 200k sales at a little over a month and half. No idea what the numbers are now or how much it sold on other stores.

https://arstechnica....sands-of-games/

Edited by ShadySands, 16 July 2018 - 07:53 AM.

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 702 posts

Looked up an LP of the beta. While I will likely hold off until full reviews come in, from what I've skimmed through so far it looks promising enough I suppose.

Edited by Agiel, 16 July 2018 - 07:59 AM.

• Harry Easter likes this

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 783 posts

Before that, the PoE2 flopping can be seen as anything, but wishful thinking of Codex based on the Avellone drama, which happened few days before release of the game.

Or we could just, you know, read the numbers and not project our fears and phobias onto people. You have not a shred of evidence that what CA posted  in any way impacted the analysis of Codexers. 

pmp10

pmp10

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 998 posts

Steam API leak showed 200k copied with any achievement.

Which is pretty disappointing but game pricing is not indicating a major flop.

Just under-performance to expectations.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3813 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Well, it is normal for a lot of people to buy the game day 1 and not play it until few more patches. For Obsidian it is pretty common to wait few patches before starting the game. I am one of these people too. Lot of games I play have this. I have not played it yet, and I have backed the game.

As an example. Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition, which I play now, the game about racing, where all you do is racing, and the achievement/trophy for completing one lap, has only 65.3% of all owners of the game... Nier Automata, first story trophy has only 85.2% of all players. Tales of Zestiria, first story trophy, only 67.7% of the game owners, or Dishonored, 83,1% of owners finished the first level.

And as I said, from what I have seen, the game was pretty successful on GOG.

Edited by Mamoulian War, 16 July 2018 - 10:17 AM.

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1035 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Forgot this game was gonna exist.

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 702 posts

Forgot this game was gonna exist.

Considering that this had a Kickstarter campaign, and in light of the long-established tradition of Russian/Eastern-European game developers initially announcing hopelessly optimistic release dates I'm actually astonished that this is coming out reasonably soon after it was first announced.

Edited by Agiel, 16 July 2018 - 10:29 AM.

ShadySands

ShadySands

• Members
  • 3312 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

snip

There's at least a couple threads (linked here and here for convenience) on it in the Deadfire section. I also have my doubts that it will be considered a flop, massive or otherwise, but at the same time I doubt it's doing the numbers Obs was hoping for.

• Mamoulian War and the_dog_days like this

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

snip

There's at least a couple threads (linked here and here for convenience) on it in the Deadfire section. I also have my doubts that it will be considered a flop, massive or otherwise, but at the same time I doubt it's doing the numbers Obs was hoping for.

There's a different issue with Deadfire. If it were just for Obsidian, the way Deadfire appears to be selling based only on known Steam sales would be good enough but half the game's Fig campaign budget came from investors and I doubt they'll be happy if the game just about breaks even for them (and for a 1k share that's at just under 600k units sold in the long term, per Obsidian's own projections).

And, well, Deadfire was Fig's poster boy game.  

ShadySands

ShadySands

• Members
  • 3312 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

On the plus side that means that we will at least get accurate sales numbers, eventually.

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 783 posts

I also have my doubts that it will be considered a flop, massive or otherwise, but at the same time I doubt it's doing the numbers Obs was hoping for.

Isn't that a definition of flop? Not doing the numbers makers was hoping for? Confused.  :huh:

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1193 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I also have my doubts that it will be considered a flop, massive or otherwise, but at the same time I doubt it's doing the numbers Obs was hoping for.

Isn't that a definition of flop? Not doing the numbers makers was hoping for? Confused. :huh:

Look at the minutes of a Square Enix shareholders meeting and you'll see the yawning gulf between what numbers are needed to make the game a success and what numbers they're hoping for. Not saying Obsidian is the same but usually there's a pretty noticeable difference between the two.
  • ShadySands and Mamoulian War like this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5069 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Anything available so far are just assumptions from Steam Spy, which is pretty much broken after privacy update taking place. All is just wild guess, but general consensus is:

a) It probably sold less on Steam than PoE, but no one knows for sure, because of Steam Spy not working as intended.

b) it sold very good on GOG, and people are guessing, that it sold better than PoE1 on the platform, but also that are just wild guesses based only on perception, how long it was on top seller chart there.

c) another wild guess is that PoE2 sold better on GOG, than on Steam. But as before, no one knows for sure, because numbers were not released yet.

Aren't scurrilous rumors based on wild-arsed guesses fun? You can be as cynical as you want and nobody can prove you wrong.  :-

Meh.

Edited by rjshae, 16 July 2018 - 09:03 PM.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9097 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Isn't that a definition of flop? Not doing the numbers makers was hoping for? Confused. :huh:

Flop sounds more like being in the red. A game can turn a profit and still not do the numbers that are expected.
  • ShadySands likes this

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 702 posts

Watching more of the beta videos of Kingmaker I don't know if there's much in the writing thus far that is identifiably in Chris Avellone's voice (i.e. deconstructions at every corner). Seems like it's more by-the-numbers, if largely inoffensive, fantasy writing to me.

Edited by Agiel, 17 July 2018 - 01:06 PM.

Melusina

Melusina

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 582 posts
  • Steam:Sorceress
  • Deadfire Backer

New info:

Devs are planning a late August release, but may be too optimistic and game may be going to be releasing in September.

evilcat

evilcat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 911 posts

I hope Pathfinder Kingmaker will do well enought so they decide to make another one.

The more crpg the better, higher chance of some of them will be really good, or will suit me.

Pathfinder is solid franchise. And there are some good memories with DnD in video games.

What now can i say is that it looks decent (graphically and design), and the amount of text is ok. So that is a good sign,

• rjshae likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users