Pathfinder RPG Kingmaker

Melusina

I'm expecting a game somewhat comparable to ToEE, except using RTwP (unfortunately). It may take time to build an audience, but I'm looking forward to playing it -- if only for the DnD-like ruleset implementation. Hopefully it'll be fun.

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It's made by a developer I've never heard of before and, while the Pathfinder name does carry some recognition, I don't expect it to break any sales records, though I think it will sell well enough to make money overall.

Mainly, I just want it to be a good game. I have high hopes.

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's made by a developer I've never heard of before and, while the Pathfinder name does carry some recognition, I don't expect it to break any sales records, though I think it will sell well enough to make money overall.

Mainly, I just want it to be a good game. I have high hopes.

Sums up both my hopes and my trepidations.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

No, no, and no. No to the first two because it's a game by an unknown developer that is not getting a lot of marketing (if any?) and I don't think the Pathfinder license has enough pull to give it an edge over the D:OS and PoE franchises, and no to the third because I don't think it's the same audience.

However, the popularity of the D:OS and PoE games might help this end up being more successful than BT4 -- I think that game is super niche and don't really see it having any kind of success outside its kickstarter campaign, really.

As for myself -- I'm cautiously optimistic. I've wanted a isometric, party-based D&D 3.5e CRPG for ages and I quite like the Pathfinder setting and atmosphere (I even enjoyed Obsidian's card game quite a bit). I really, really hope it's good.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

It can't outsell D:OS2 because it is a single player game and sadly these days multiplayer is the holy grail of digital gaming.

I think it will do quite well. I backed the game, and it looks to be really well done. Really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Hmm, I think they could still get lucky.

The biggest RPG coming out over the next few weeks is the definitive Edition of Divinity: Original Sin 2 and there is still some nostalgia about D&D 3.5. Pathfinder is also quite successfull if I read it correctly. Summer is also the time, where the big releases are at hold, so why not? 100k sold units should be in there for them.

Let's wait and see.

Pathfinder is also quite successfull if I read it correctly.

Pathfinder is very successful. There was a 3 or 4 year stretch where it actually outsold D&D (during the 4th edition period aka The Dark Age).
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

At the long run it may be more succesful than Divinity. Divinity struggled for some time for it's audience.

It won't be a problem to outsell Deadfire as the sales were dreadful. Steam sale right after release helped but it seems PoE2 was a flop.

A niche crpg game from a less popular studio with barely any advertising and lower crowdfunding money is going to outsell PoE.  Great logic there.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

.... is releasing in August.

Do you think it could be as successful as D:OS2?

Do you think it may outsell Deadfire?

Do you think it will compete with Bard's Tale IV which is coming on September the 14th?

1) No 'cause DOS2 has been one of the best selling of the crpg resurgence.

2) No 'cause the studio, regardless of how popular the pen and paper is, isn't a known, unlike Obsidian.

3) No 'cause Bard's Tale is a known franchise by a known dev (I say this despite being kinda indifferent towards Wasteland 2 and outright disliking TToN).

From where do you get all the info, that PoE2 flopped hard?

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

At the long run it may be more succesful than Divinity. Divinity struggled for some time for it's audience.

It won't be a problem to outsell Deadfire as the sales were dreadful. Steam sale right after release helped but it seems PoE2 was a flop.

A niche crpg game from a less popular studio with barely any advertising and lower crowdfunding money is going to outsell PoE.  Great logic there.

Pathfinder crpg game has a pretty big following on Paizo boards (maker of the PnP game) and the closer to release, I bet, they will write some official blogs on their mainpage to support marketing of the game. So I think, because of the popularity of the PnP, and some people buying left and right everything PF related, it has pretty nice chance of success, even though it is made by unknown developer.

Do you think it could be as successful as D:OS2?

Strong No.

DOS level of success = extreme sales and wide recognition (media and mass gamer praise) 

On P:K level success is "well, it was good enough" game with small, but stable fanbase - very possible

Do you think it may outsell Deadfire?

We don't know Deadfire sales, and won't know P:K sales (thanks, Steam) and speculation without numbers is pointless, but I'll say - no

Obsidian repute adds too much, Owlcat games are debutants, they were involved in some meh russian games, and rumors are that they have a giant corp mail.ru after them (the one that rules PUBG and Warface in Russia, has very dirty reputation, but tonns of money, Russian EA to be simple). Still, they don't seem to get any media support from this giant, only money, as some say

Still they are a dark horse and I try to be careful with them.

Do you think it will compete with Bard's Tale IV which is coming on September the 14th

Sure yes. Will compete because genre is very different, will compete because InXile has seriously damaged reputation after Wasteland and especially Torment, will compete because P:K is a "serious" grounded narrative game, and Bard's Tale will be lighter, more parody and comic element. They don't deliver the same type of experience, and some ppl will consider choosing. 

The most trustful sources Codex and reddit.

Other than that? I know it's Codex's wishful thinking for PoE2 to flop, because of Avellone drama, but are there actually any numbers behind that claim? I am really curious, because I like both games, and I would not be very happy, if the IP would go six feet under...

Steamspy says that Deadfire sold 100-200.000. At least they guess it. But Pillars also needed some time to sell. I guess Pathfinder could become a sleeper hit. Weren't they all sleeper hits at first (except for D:OS 2. That one sold like crazy, I know that :D ).

Other than that? I know it's Codex's wishful thinking for PoE2 to flop, because of Avellone drama, but are there actually any numbers behind that claim? I am really curious, because I like both games, and I would not be very happy, if the IP would go six feet under...

Deadfire Sales

Well your "let me google it for you" link shown exactly same number of results speaking about the sales, as my previous search: 0

Anything available so far are just assumptions from Steam Spy, which is pretty much broken after privacy update taking place. All is just wild guess, but general consensus is:

a) It probably sold less on Steam than PoE, but no one knows for sure, because of Steam Spy not working as intended.

b) it sold very good on GOG, and people are guessing, that it sold better than PoE1 on the platform, but also that are just wild guesses based only on perception, how long it was on top seller chart there.

c) another wild guess is that PoE2 sold better on GOG, than on Steam. But as before, no one knows for sure, because numbers were not released yet.

People will probably only know how good it sold only when Obsid releases the real numbers, or maybe after Fig investors receive money for their shares, and if they decide to share with us, how much they gained/lost from their investment, we can approximate, based on the promises and charts how many copies it sold.

Before that, the PoE2 flopping can be seen as anything, but wishful thinking of Codex based on the Avellone drama, which happened few days before release of the game.

Edited by Mamoulian War

There was some Steam data leak or something that said it had a little over 200k sales at a little over a month and half. No idea what the numbers are now or how much it sold on other stores.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/07/steam-data-leak-reveals-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Looked up an LP of the beta. While I will likely hold off until full reviews come in, from what I've skimmed through so far it looks promising enough I suppose.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Steam API leak showed 200k copied with any achievement.

Which is pretty disappointing but game pricing is not indicating a major flop.

Just under-performance to expectations.

Well, it is normal for a lot of people to buy the game day 1 and not play it until few more patches. For Obsidian it is pretty common to wait few patches before starting the game. I am one of these people too. Lot of games I play have this. I have not played it yet, and I have backed the game.

As an example. Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition, which I play now, the game about racing, where all you do is racing, and the achievement/trophy for completing one lap, has only 65.3% of all owners of the game... Nier Automata, first story trophy has only 85.2% of all players. Tales of Zestiria, first story trophy, only 67.7% of the game owners, or Dishonored, 83,1% of owners finished the first level.

And as I said, from what I have seen, the game was pretty successful on GOG.

Edited by Mamoulian War

Forgot this game was gonna exist.

Considering that this had a Kickstarter campaign, and in light of the long-established tradition of Russian/Eastern-European game developers initially announcing hopelessly optimistic release dates I'm actually astonished that this is coming out reasonably soon after it was first announced.

Edited by Agiel

-Rod Serling