Any Majorly Important Resolve Checks?

Hey guys, 

So, for gameplay purposes, I'm playing a Mindstalker Gunner with low Resolve and Constitution (Since those stats aren't really needed for a ranged character), but I'm a little worried about the effect dropping my Resolve so low is going to have on my desired roleplay experience (A spy/interrogator/assassin type character working for Rauatai/the RDC). Resolve was a massively important skill in the first Pillars of Eternity 2, because it was effectively your Charisma stat (Your Intimidate, Bluff, and Diplomacy all rolled into one, essentially). The consensus seems to be that it's much less important now because of the new skill system, but that's the consensus of people who are largely interested in min/maxing their characters. 

The sort of character I'm trying to play (Rogue/Cipher, for those who don't have all of the multiclasses memorized) is going to have to:

- Lie well

- Keep his defenses up against mental intrusion

- Coax information out of troublesome, sometimes uncooperative, people. 

- Not break under pressure

Basically, when there are opportunities to do those sorts of things in the game, when is your Resolve tested and are there significant consequences for failure? Also, does being a Cipher counteract any potential failures in resisting mental incursions at all? I know they have the majority of dialogue checks in the game relating to class. 

The main one is that there's a soulbound mace you need 15 resolve (and some Int) to pick up. You can get there with buffs even with very low base resolve though.

Overall though resolve isn't nearly as important now as it was before. There's a breakdown of the various checks here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VOXnwhAVZ2bqGJgw-cgJlG0TIqt9j3zJJbRx1epH3ho/edit#gid=0 and another one here https://wiki.fireundubh.com/deadfire/dialogue-options but those numbers are somewhat misguiding because *most* checks are not the *peak* checks -- you can make most checks in the game with a small investment in a given skil, i.e., ten points or so in Intimidate will make almost all Intimidate checks but the highest intimidate check in the game is 18. 

As a cipher there are a few specific abilities that can boost your Will defense (against things like charm etc) but those don't seem to impact conversations. 

I generally go with low-resolve Cipher builds and just RP that my Cipher's will has been broken and damaged by all the RP stuff going on (madness, Awakening, having soul ripped away, etc).

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

The main one is that there's a soulbound mace you need 15 resolve (and some Int) to pick up. You can get there with buffs even with very low base resolve though.

Overall though resolve isn't nearly as important now as it was before. There's a breakdown of the various checks here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VOXnwhAVZ2bqGJgw-cgJlG0TIqt9j3zJJbRx1epH3ho/edit#gid=0 and another one here https://wiki.fireundubh.com/deadfire/dialogue-options but those numbers are somewhat misguiding because *most* checks are not the *peak* checks -- you can make most checks in the game with a small investment in a given skil, i.e., ten points or so in Intimidate will make almost all Intimidate checks but the highest intimidate check in the game is 18. 

As a cipher there are a few specific abilities that can boost your Will defense (against things like charm etc) but those don't seem to impact conversations. 

I generally go with low-resolve Cipher builds and just RP that my Cipher's will has been broken and damaged by all the RP stuff going on (madness, Awakening, having soul ripped away, etc).

That's sort of how I was thinking of playing it. Not so much timid or weak-willed, more that he's broken by the experiences he's had to overcome. 

From what I recall Resolve was used in conversations with Serafen to supress the visions of his past/memories and the Spindle Man to block his mind probing yours for secrets. Otherwise there were some Resolve checks were you use strength of your character to command others to stop in situations like with that guy who was overstaying his welcome at Kraken's Eye in Port Maje and iirc the dueling Vailians in Queen's Berth. So to sum up, your low resolve character might be at a risk of getting their mind invaded by ciphers. You would be able to coax up info from people with high insight, sometimes diplomacy and lie well with high bluff.

• Like 1

Nothing really game breaking. Deadfire does a good job offering alternative solutions. Heck, the biggest danger is just getting your main character targeted by all the Will attacks. Especially Fampyrs. Some kind of Int resistance/immunity is a good idea.

Edited by Incendax
  • Like 2