Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is it just me or is the corpse-eater subclass awful?

barbarian corpse eater sucks

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Verde

Verde

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Steam:DragonSoundxSG
Mage Slayer's resistance should affect both hostile and friendly spells...that's all the downside it needs. I don't understand the concept of "not using magical items". The BG2 kit hates Wizards but POE2 is more of a Mage assassin, so should be used.

But as another poster said, it's tradition lol.

Edited by Verde, 14 July 2018 - 02:08 AM.

thelee

thelee

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 664 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Mage Slayer's resistance should affect both hostile and friendly spells...that's all the downside it needs. I don't understand the concept of "not using magical items". The BG2 kit hates Wizards but POE2 is more of a Mage assassin, so should be used.

mage slayer in deadfire is actually much less onerous than the bg2 version. the bg2 version wasn't just "can't use potions/scrolls" it was "can't use any magical items other than weapons and armor" IIRC. it also had a lame 10% per hit spell failure (instead of 25%) and a really lame spell resistance (something like 1% per level).

Dr <3

Dr <3

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1017 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

mage slayer in deadfire is actually much less onerous than the bg2 version. the bg2 version wasn't just "can't use potions/scrolls" it was "can't use any magical items other than weapons and armor" IIRC. it also had a lame 10% per hit spell failure (instead of 25%) and a really lame spell resistance (something like 1% per level).

- Bg2 nerd mode on -

Actually in the extended edition ( the "current" one) you get 1% until lvl 20, after that you got 5% every other lvl. The cap you can reach is 84% or 89% ( i don't remember), but with other in-game bonuses you could esaily reach 100% (= spell immunity).
The spell fail on hit was also displayed like 10%, but in reality it was 25% per hit, and stackable. So after 4 hits you had disable completely a spellcaster. Very good pretty soon if you used darts (3 base attack per round + warrior bonus attacks) or dual wield with a fast weapon). Very good later also with 2 handers or single hand weapon + whirlwind ( 10 attacks per round). Aaand when i say "hit" i mean that you didn't really need to do dmg, as the ability worked trogh stoneskin and other common arcane protection.

So surely you are not sorceror or inquisitor, but if played right it is very strong nontheless.

And for solo: play half orc with max might and you can bash basically every lock in the game, or go dwarf for +4 to saving throws ( more useful)

- bg2 nerd mode off-
  • Rheios likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12275 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Also the Mage Slayer put on a spell disruption "afflicton" on hit. This has to be balanced as well, not only his resistance. And the disruption stacks. That means that you can take out one very powerful enemy out of the fight after a few hits. Even several if you use AoE weapons or AoE abilities like Heart of Fury.

But the Mage Slayer could be made a lot more appealing if non-spell buffs like Frenzy/Shouts etc. wouldn't get cut in half. It's a bit silly that his own rage based abilities only last 50%.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1017 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
It still does? Afaik they fixed that part ( the 50% less duration of effect on himself)

On the other side spell disruption only affect "spells" ( chanter, chiper, wiz, druid, priest), doesn't do anything vs abilities ( pala, rogue, warrior, barbarian, ranger). I like it as it is.

Edited by Dr <3, 14 July 2018 - 10:40 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12275 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Oh, I didn't check. Last time it was still the case - AND he disrupted also abilites (Skulking Terror couldn't use any of his abilites). If they fixed that: even better in my book.

Edited by Boeroer, 14 July 2018 - 11:10 PM.

XEternalXDreamsX

XEternalXDreamsX

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 51 posts

Also the Mage Slayer put on a spell disruption "afflicton" on hit. This has to be balanced as well, not only his resistance. And the disruption stacks. That means that you can take out one very powerful enemy out of the fight after a few hits. Even several if you use AoE weapons or AoE abilities like Heart of Fury.

But the Mage Slayer could be made a lot more appealing if non-spell buffs like Frenzy/Shouts etc. wouldn't get cut in half. It's a bit silly that his own rage based abilities only last 50%.

It's odd that Frenzy and Shout are considered "magical". I guess it falls under that category because it functions like other magical abilities, perhaps?

If those Barbarian skills were not affected by the Mage Slayer, would it make it useable or overpowered (especially when mulitclassed)?

uuuhhii

uuuhhii

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 170 posts

this subclass doesn't make sense at all

maybe change into something more like xoti’s monk subclass

killing give rage

Edited by uuuhhii, 19 July 2018 - 02:06 PM.

Loren Tyr

Loren Tyr

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 858 posts

It's odd that Frenzy and Shout are considered "magical". I guess it falls under that category because it functions like other magical abilities, perhaps?

If those Barbarian skills were not affected by the Mage Slayer, would it make it useable or overpowered (especially when mulitclassed)?

Mageslayer doesn't have a duration debuff. It used to at some stage, but that got removed a fair while ago, so Frenzies and Shouts and whatnot are not affected in any way by being a Mageslayer. 

I have also tested it and the Spell Disruption effect (duration is about 20s base by the way, though it get renewed if you hit again and stack more so usually that won't matter too much) does not affect abilities (eg. Disciplined Barrage, Knockdown), just spells. Though it's a bit harder to be sure with enemy creature abilities since those might somehow be considered spells, but in general my guess is most of them aren't and won't be affected by the Spell Disruption.

It also technically functions as an interrupt, so a character with 100% Spell Disruption but with an active Concentration effect can still cast a spell; at the expense of the Concentration of course.

In general I'd say the subclass is fairly well balanced. The lack of scrolls is hardly an issue, the lack of potions is more so but can be gotten around fairly easily as well. Obviously it can be impractical that your friendly spells can misfire on the character, but it's hardly prohibitive. And the 25% spell resistance is quite useful, and it can quite effectively shut down an enemy spell caster quite quickly (despite the description you only have to graze for it to take, so even a hard to hit caster should be relatively straightforward to shut down with it). 

• thelee and Boeroer like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12275 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Oh, then they altered what Spell Disruption does. Because I remember affecting the Skulking Terror (Monk/Barb if I remember correctly) and he couldn't use one single of his abilites.

Does somebody know how resistances (I don't mean resistances against afflictions) like Uncanny Luck, Spell Resistance of Mage Slayer and Spell Resistance of WIzards and the like do stack? Do they get added so you could theoretically reach 100% or will the get rolled one after the other like hit-tocrit-conversion does? THe first one would be amazing but I suspect it's the latter?

Edited by Boeroer, 19 July 2018 - 11:42 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: barbarian, corpse eater, sucks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users