Still nonsense. It's sufficient if they just drop dead. Which hand mortar of renaissance times lets people explode - even when pimped by a bit of a burning lash? Even with a Fireball it doesn't make sense: let them bun to ashes and then collapse into dust, ok - but exploding into gore? Eh... it would be a nice effect on some special weapons (ogres' cannons for example) or when using powerful bombs, but letting people explode on EVERY crit (that kills) - no matter the weapon/ability? Go-go stiletto-stab: BOOM! Meeeeeh!!! I get it's a nostalgia thing because of BG and so on. But that's not enough of a reason for me to keep it active.

And the main point was of course: it really hurts your Corpse Eater. :)

You are quite correct, but insane gore is part of the infinity engine legacy. Fallout 1 and 2 had some amazingly hilarious death animations (and a perk that would force them).

Shoot a guy with a 9mm and half of his torso went missing.

Oh bloody mess :)

You could almost argue that being forced to turn down gore makes the corpse eater broken as a class. It should really be some kind of on kill mechanic and maybe a way to heal wounds out of combat by eating corpses (not that hardtack is that expensive or resting even matters).

• Like 1

Try corpse-eater - druid shifter. Tons of fun to eat people as a were wolf

:D

Well, at least it has roleplaying value.

Soul Eater

Devour Soul - 3 second cast time, 3 second recovery. Gain +2 Rage from every intact body in range. Gib those bodies. Lots of conversation options with souls. Makes Xoti angry.

That would be enough to fix the class lol

Problem with reducing max rage pool by 2 is that for PL1 you literally can't use any abilities, and for PL2 you can only use frenzy or shout despite having access to barbaric blow.

It would have to come at later levels. Let the player reach 4 rage and then wait an extra power level to get 5 and 6.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

This class is definitely way off Zerker, but good news is, you still have access to the standard (relatively good) rage abilities... at a higher cost. 

Wait, this is awful.

Not to hijack the thread, but Mage Slayer is no picnic...  if I had to pick, I might actually go Corpse Eater.  Mage Slayer should have magic protection scale with level (1-5 = 6%, 6-10= 10%, 11-15 = 14%, 16-20 = 18%)  Lucky skill provides a better benefit compared to the current spell resistance :p

• Like 1

I almost wonder if it could be fixed with something like 'On ability activation, Barbarian gets Strange Meat added to belt for each nearby corpse within a small area. Using the Strange Meat consumable gives +2 Rage resource and 50 Health and attempts to apply  Shaken+Sicken debuffs on allies and enemies in the area whenever consumed.'  The drawback is something like the Nalzpaca but in reverse - Can't receive healing (or maybe only like 20% of healing) until you have gathered/consumed Strange meat)

Granted that is a ton of work for a rewrite probably and I'm not entirely certain its better save it fixes the gibbing thing (maybe. I'm not sure if they have a 'mark death' token that's just untargatble at first - since you still loot them after) and the drawback I think. Although maybe something like a Distracted debuff might work better until meat is gathered or eaten.

Edited by Rheios

Not to hijack the thread, but Mage Slayer is no picnic...  if I had to pick, I might actually go Corpse Eater.  Mage Slayer should have magic protection scale with level (1-5 = 6%, 6-10= 10%, 11-15 = 14%, 16-20 = 18%)  Lucky skill provides a better benefit compared to the current spell resistance :p

Holy ****, that is true. lol

sign.jpg

Just make it "cool" and "useful" and you have a successful class:

Corpse Eater:

Eat a corpse and you gain powers (+ACC, +CON, +DMG, etc.).   

Rules:
Only one buff at a time. 

Ingest another corpse and benefit is overwritten.

Buff lasts until rest or another corpse ingested with new buffs.

Base buff is: +8 ACC, +5 DEFLECTION (spitballing here, not canon) 

Each corpse type (kith, beast, etc.) has an added buff (human kith = +2 STR and DEX,  Lion Beast = +4 STR and DEX, Dragon = +7 STR and DEX)

[...corpseater info...]

Am I missing something here?

Nope. Have arrived to the same conclusion.

P.S. And do like Boeroer's suggestion of removing +1 rage cost penalty; but reducing max rage pool by 2 instead.

If needed, corpse-eater can have a small penalty to deflection and reflex while... consuming.

Incendax's suggestion is also nice and looks better than the current state.

Problem with reducing max rage pool by 2 is that for PL1 you literally can't use any abilities, and for PL2 you can only use frenzy or shout despite having access to barbaric blow.

Yes, I assumed that Flesh Communion allowed you to exceed your starting "max" Rage. I think it's stupid that there's a ceiling.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

[...corpseater info...]

Am I missing something here?

Nope. Have arrived to the same conclusion.

P.S. And do like Boeroer's suggestion of removing +1 rage cost penalty; but reducing max rage pool by 2 instead.

If needed, corpse-eater can have a small penalty to deflection and reflex while... consuming.

Incendax's suggestion is also nice and looks better than the current state.

Yes, I assumed that Flesh Communion allowed you to exceed your starting "max" Rage. I think it's stupid that there's a ceiling.

You know, if you kept your max rage the same, but implemented it as a start-of-combat hit of -2 to your rage, that would probably be just fine. for PL1 and PL2 you have to consume a corpse to use an ability, but later on, it just means eating one corpse gives you a "profit."

Mage Slayer should have magic protection scale with level (1-5 = 6%, 6-10= 10%, 11-15 = 14%, 16-20 = 18%)  Lucky skill provides a better benefit compared to the current spell resistance :p

I went through the game in 1.1 using a Nalpazca / Corpse Eater abusing Alchemy buffed Whiteleaf to avoid the healing problems and I thought it worked really well. Completely shut down anything that relies on spell casting between the mage slayer effect, raised torment, and stunning surge. Got hit hard in 1.2 (alchemy, raised torment primary target) so it's probably not nearly as good now.

This class is definitely way off Zerker, but good news is, you still have access to the standard (relatively good) rage abilities... at a higher cost. 

Wait, this is awful.

Yeah but the Wizard Slayer kit being garbage is tradition.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Wait, this is awful.

Yeah but the Wizard Slayer kit being garbage is tradition.

How does uncanny luck provide better spell resistance? Mage Slayer gets 25%. Admittedly it protects against friendly spells, but if you work around that (lay on hands?) it's much better.

Edited by thelee

I like mage slayer too. Yes, the magic resistance could grow up with lvl, but is good even this way.

Maybe they could let him at least drink healing potion or use poisons. Actually healing is the only real problem that the mage slayer have, you have to realy on one per encounter second wind or your mid lvl auto heal ( nothing spectacular).

The better way i found to play it is multiclass with a kind wayfarer, so every fod you heal for a good chunk, no spells involved.

Mage Slayer's resistance should affect both hostile and friendly spells...that's all the downside it needs. I don't understand the concept of "not using magical items". The BG2 kit hates Wizards but POE2 is more of a Mage assassin, so should be used.

But as another poster said, it's tradition lol.

Edited by Verde

Mage Slayer's resistance should affect both hostile and friendly spells...that's all the downside it needs. I don't understand the concept of "not using magical items". The BG2 kit hates Wizards but POE2 is more of a Mage assassin, so should be used.

mage slayer in deadfire is actually much less onerous than the bg2 version. the bg2 version wasn't just "can't use potions/scrolls" it was "can't use any magical items other than weapons and armor" IIRC. it also had a lame 10% per hit spell failure (instead of 25%) and a really lame spell resistance (something like 1% per level).

mage slayer in deadfire is actually much less onerous than the bg2 version. the bg2 version wasn't just "can't use potions/scrolls" it was "can't use any magical items other than weapons and armor" IIRC. it also had a lame 10% per hit spell failure (instead of 25%) and a really lame spell resistance (something like 1% per level).

- Bg2 nerd mode on -

Actually in the extended edition ( the "current" one) you get 1% until lvl 20, after that you got 5% every other lvl. The cap you can reach is 84% or 89% ( i don't remember), but with other in-game bonuses you could esaily reach 100% (= spell immunity).

The spell fail on hit was also displayed like 10%, but in reality it was 25% per hit, and stackable. So after 4 hits you had disable completely a spellcaster. Very good pretty soon if you used darts (3 base attack per round + warrior bonus attacks) or dual wield with a fast weapon). Very good later also with 2 handers or single hand weapon + whirlwind ( 10 attacks per round). Aaand when i say "hit" i mean that you didn't really need to do dmg, as the ability worked trogh stoneskin and other common arcane protection.

So surely you are not sorceror or inquisitor, but if played right it is very strong nontheless.

And for solo: play half orc with max might and you can bash basically every lock in the game, or go dwarf for +4 to saving throws ( more useful)

- bg2 nerd mode off-

• Like 1

Also the Mage Slayer put on a spell disruption "afflicton" on hit. This has to be balanced as well, not only his resistance. And the disruption stacks. That means that you can take out one very powerful enemy out of the fight after a few hits. Even several if you use AoE weapons or AoE abilities like Heart of Fury.

But the Mage Slayer could be made a lot more appealing if non-spell buffs like Frenzy/Shouts etc. wouldn't get cut in half. It's a bit silly that his own rage based abilities only last 50%.

It still does? Afaik they fixed that part ( the 50% less duration of effect on himself)

On the other side spell disruption only affect "spells" ( chanter, chiper, wiz, druid, priest), doesn't do anything vs abilities ( pala, rogue, warrior, barbarian, ranger). I like it as it is.

Edited by Dr <3

Oh, I didn't check. Last time it was still the case - AND he disrupted also abilites (Skulking Terror couldn't use any of his abilites). If they fixed that: even better in my book.

Edited by Boeroer

Also the Mage Slayer put on a spell disruption "afflicton" on hit. This has to be balanced as well, not only his resistance. And the disruption stacks. That means that you can take out one very powerful enemy out of the fight after a few hits. Even several if you use AoE weapons or AoE abilities like Heart of Fury.

But the Mage Slayer could be made a lot more appealing if non-spell buffs like Frenzy/Shouts etc. wouldn't get cut in half. It's a bit silly that his own rage based abilities only last 50%.

It's odd that Frenzy and Shout are considered "magical". I guess it falls under that category because it functions like other magical abilities, perhaps?

If those Barbarian skills were not affected by the Mage Slayer, would it make it useable or overpowered (especially when mulitclassed)?

It's odd that Frenzy and Shout are considered "magical". I guess it falls under that category because it functions like other magical abilities, perhaps?

If those Barbarian skills were not affected by the Mage Slayer, would it make it useable or overpowered (especially when mulitclassed)?

Mageslayer doesn't have a duration debuff. It used to at some stage, but that got removed a fair while ago, so Frenzies and Shouts and whatnot are not affected in any way by being a Mageslayer. 

I have also tested it and the Spell Disruption effect (duration is about 20s base by the way, though it get renewed if you hit again and stack more so usually that won't matter too much) does not affect abilities (eg. Disciplined Barrage, Knockdown), just spells. Though it's a bit harder to be sure with enemy creature abilities since those might somehow be considered spells, but in general my guess is most of them aren't and won't be affected by the Spell Disruption.

It also technically functions as an interrupt, so a character with 100% Spell Disruption but with an active Concentration effect can still cast a spell; at the expense of the Concentration of course.

In general I'd say the subclass is fairly well balanced. The lack of scrolls is hardly an issue, the lack of potions is more so but can be gotten around fairly easily as well. Obviously it can be impractical that your friendly spells can misfire on the character, but it's hardly prohibitive. And the 25% spell resistance is quite useful, and it can quite effectively shut down an enemy spell caster quite quickly (despite the description you only have to graze for it to take, so even a hard to hit caster should be relatively straightforward to shut down with it). 

• Like 2

Oh, then they altered what Spell Disruption does. Because I remember affecting the Skulking Terror (Monk/Barb if I remember correctly) and he couldn't use one single of his abilites.

Does somebody know how resistances (I don't mean resistances against afflictions) like Uncanny Luck, Spell Resistance of Mage Slayer and Spell Resistance of WIzards and the like do stack? Do they get added so you could theoretically reach 100% or will the get rolled one after the other like hit-tocrit-conversion does? THe first one would be amazing but I suspect it's the latter?

Edited by Boeroer