Beast of Winter DLC Announcement

Yeah, huge thanks to all the repliers, I did some additional reading and now get the idea.

Basically, R.'s goal is a case of thermodynamic entropy, where temperature is replaced by "soul power level", while informational kind of entropy is secondary and not so important for the plot.

Get it now!

For reference, thermodynamic entropy and informational entropy are in many ways the same thing. It may help to think of "chaos" as the process by which systems decay. At a fairly low level of entropy, the product of chaos is randomness, because decay produces unforeseen or extraneous elements that make the system behave erratically - dust on a motherboard, for instance - but at a state of 100% chaos there are no systems to disrupt. Information theory breaks down at this point.

Bringing this back to Rymrgand, the entropy he describes is the breakdown of spiritual energy until souls, as a unit of information, do not exist.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

level cap should definitely stay at 20

but there are some problem with power level

start at 1 but not increase at every odd number

not sure if dlc need to add the cut trinket system

there are already too much equipment slot

but 8th companion are necessary at some point

Some thoughts on

Rymrgand:

If Rymrgand is just as fake as the other gods, then the inevitablity of universal heat death may also be a lie.

however...

There are more gods than there are alcoves in the Engwithan god-making machine...

The Engwithan gods are representations of their cultural values turned up to 11. Iovara has a line at the end of the first game that explains this (paraphrasing her: “anything taken to an extreme becomes grotesque”). Every mythology has a creation myth and an “end of the world” myth. Rymrgand is the latter. Edited by Achilles
  • Like 8

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Some thoughts on

Rymrgand:

If Rymrgand is just as fake as the other gods, then the inevitablity of universal heat death may also be a lie.

however...

There are more gods than there are alcoves in the Engwithan god-making machine...

The Engwithan gods are representations of their cultural values turned up to 11. Iovara has a line at the end of the first game that explains this (paraphrasing her: “anything taken to an extreme becomes grotesque”). Every mythology has a creation myth and an “end of the world” myth. Rymrgand is the latter.

"Myth" being the key word here. Just because people believe it doesn't make it true. Rymrgand may well believe that his eventual victory is inevitable, but that doesn't make it true.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Some thoughts on

Rymrgand:

however...

The Engwithan gods are representations of their cultural values turned up to 11. Iovara has a line at the end of the first game that explains this (paraphrasing her: “anything taken to an extreme becomes grotesque”). Every mythology has a creation myth and an “end of the world” myth. Rymrgand is the latter.

"Myth" being the key word here. Just because people believe it doesn't make it true. Rymrgand may well believe that his eventual victory is inevitable, but that doesn't make it true.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Is there now a higher level cap?

Nope.

Why? Why????

Because it would be awkward to implement and require significant GUI changes for basically no meaningful return, presumably.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Because it would be awkward to implement and require significant GUI changes for basically no meaningful return, presumably.

I think that's an optimistic view. :p

Imagine if they had to balance the game with new high level abilities, with all the bugs still in the game and people complaining about it being too easy...

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Some thoughts on

Rymrgand:

however...

Yeah, but what does that have to do with Rymrgand? Entropy existed before him, it will exist long after his death (which will predate the heat death of the universe by a long time). Entropy isn't dependent on his existence, he's merely a charlatan who claims that it does. 

• Like 1

I think that's an optimistic view. :p

Imagine if they had to balance the game with new high level abilities, with all the bugs still in the game and people complaining about it being too easy...

Maybe we don't even need more new abilities. For most classes, there a enough active / passives that you maybe want, but can not get (like monk / rogue multiclass). But it's rather boring to play the DLC with max Level and the xp you could get, is forever lost if they reconsider it and raise the level cap after you have done allready all DLC content with your hero.

The stream showed a new soulbound great sword, because there are far too few great swords in Deadfire :lol:

It's definitely not soulbound (just checked), but it's definitely pretty sweet.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yeah, but what does that have to do with Rymrgand? Entropy existed before him, it will exist long after his death (which will predate the heat death of the universe by a long time). Entropy isn't dependent on his existence, he's merely a charlatan who claims that it does.

I don't recall the thread, but there was another conversation where we were discussing the Wheel and the nature of entropy predating Rymrgand. I was floating the idea that inevitably Rymrgand would succumb the a truer essence of the very thing that he is.

Some thoughts on

Rymrgand:

however...

You quoted the answer in your response.
  • Like 1

The stream showed a new soulbound great sword, because there are far too few great swords in Deadfire :lol:

It's definitely not soulbound (just checked), but it's definitely pretty sweet.

My mistake. I do question why they felt like adding more great swords and not something else.

My mistake. I do question why they felt like adding more great swords and not something else.

I hope that's not the only new unique item the DLC brings to the table!

That said, I love swords in general and great swords in particular because—you guessed it—they look cool. Not saying other weapons can't or don't look cool; swords just happen to fit my aesthetic narrative better than others so I won't complain if they throw more in.

Though really, all I need is for them to fix the texture on the Sanguine Blade and give me a Sanguine Plate to go with it plus matching helm. Then I can be a happy red murderhobo.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I hope that's not the only new unique item the DLC brings to the table!

That said, I love swords in general and great swords in particular because—you guessed it—they look cool. Not saying other weapons can't or don't look cool; swords just happen to fit my aesthetic narrative better than others so I won't complain if they throw more in.

Though really, all I need is for them to fix the texture on the Sanguine Blade and give me a Sanguine Plate to go with it plus matching helm. Then I can be a happy red murderhobo.

Oh I love them too, and I don't mind having more, I just feel Obsidian really ought to get to a point where there are at least three unique or soulbound of each weapon type (maybe just two for the less used weapons).

I've no doubt there will be other uniques of course, I just found it funny that the one they showed in the stream was another great sword :D

Is there now a higher level cap?

Nope.

Why? Why????

if only they could have known they'd be making post-release DLC, then they'd have been able to design the level cap and GUI with it in mind

I reached level 20 after the last faction quests with a number of additional side quests and exploration to finish...and you're telling me I have to stay at 20 for this and maybe all the other DLCs? Ugh

• Like 1