Beast of Winter DLC Announcement

a Dragon who even the Gods fear...

Does that mean she predates the gods?
Can someone confirm that the dragon part isn’t conjecture? I don’t recall there being anything even close to this spoilery in the dev stream.

Look in eternity.obsidian.net

Currently Playing

• Pillars of Eternity
  • Morrowind
  • Stardew Valley

Future Play

• Deadfire
  • Oblivion
  • The Witcher

a Dragon who even the Gods fear...

Does that mean she predates the gods?
Can someone confirm that the dragon part isn’t conjecture? I don’t recall there being anything even close to this spoilery in the dev stream.

Look in eternity.obsidian.net

Noted.

Funny that they wanted to avoid spoilers in the dev stream but pretty much gave everything away in the marketing.

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Just rewatched the last 10 minutes of the devstream. There is no indication that Vatnir is only a sidekick. In fact, they actually call him a companion. What they did say was that he would not have a companion *quest*. 

So yeah, but all indications, Vatnir will be a full-blown companion minus a companion quest, but who cares that much about the last bit? 

• Like 2

I guess imma get to kill a dracolich then.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Just rewatched the last 10 minutes of the devstream. There is no indication that Vatnir is only a sidekick. In fact, they actually call him a companion. What they did say was that he would not have a companion *quest*. 

So yeah, but all indications, Vatnir will be a full-blown companion minus a companion quest, but who cares that much about the last bit? 

But doesn't the DLC itself constitute the "companion quest"? Sounds like it. 

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Challenge modes might be able to recapture my interest but I'll probably give Beast of Winter a pass.  I'll just wait for a sale on a collected edition or DLC pack after all of them are out, just like with Pillars.  The narrative hook has me pretty bored, but I guess that's fine - it's just an excuse to go adventuring like White March was.

But doesn't the DLC itself constitute the "companion quest"? Sounds like it. 

Aye that's pretty much how they described it, since it seems he'll have a lot to say going through it. 

Could you possibly link the dev stream? I could not find it.

Could you possibly link the dev stream? I could not find it.

Sure, you can find the stream here.

At 1:00:13 Infinitron asks: "And he counts as a sidekick, right?"

At ~1:00:30 Alex responds: "Yes, Infinitron, he does not have a companion quest, although he is central to the content of the DLC"

A "full blown companion minus a companion quest" is a sidekick. Very early on in the stream, they indicate that he will chime in at some points in the base game, again, something that is completely consistent with sidekick.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Do i have to restart a new game ? This first DLC starts at what time / level?

In original game i peaked at the maximum level well before the end of the story ... so with DLC it will be worse no ?

Nb: I do not look too much info / videos to not spoiler me.

Edited by BillyCorgan

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Hello)

Is it possible for the main character to be the priest of Rymrgand?

We don't know, but it'll be super-easy to enable once the DLC hits.

Well, it would be cool to start as priest of Rymrgand, come to Neketaka palace and tell: what's the point to argue about Asongo, you will all die and go to entropy, guys)

At 1:00:13 Infinitron asks: "And he counts as a sidekick, right?"

At ~1:00:30 Alex responds: "Yes, Infinitron, he does not have a companion quest, although he is central to the content of the DLC"

A "full blown companion minus a companion quest" is a sidekick. Very early on in the stream, they indicate that he will chime in at some points in the base game, again, something that is completely consistent with sidekick.

Maybe he is basically a companion during the DLC, but during the rest of the game he is a sidekick with little or no content.

Maybe he is basically a companion during the DLC, but during the rest of the game he is a sidekick with little or no content.

But how would all of that work with a relationship system then? That's the other thing that separates a companion from a sidekick. 

Edited by aksrasjel
  • Like 5

Officially, the difference between a companion and a sidekick is that the latter isn't integrated into the companion relationship system. Otherwise, it's an arbitrary difference and a sidekick could theoretically have just as much content as a companion (just not as part of the relationship systems).

I doubt that more characters will be added to the relationship system in these DLCs, so it's just sidekicks from here on out.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Priest of Rymrgand subclass is exclusive to Vatnir.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 3

Also, I'm pretty sure the Priest of Rymrgand subclass is exclusive to Vatnir.

No complaints from me.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

But how would all of that work with a relationship system then? That's the other thing that separates a companion from a sidekick. 

I meant that he technically wouldn't be a companion, but companion-like for the DLC. He would be tied into the DLC story-wise and have interactions during the conversations, but he wouldn't be involved in the relationship system since that is a base game feature.

I meant that he technically wouldn't be a companion, but companion-like for the DLC. He would be tied into the DLC story-wise and have interactions during the conversations, but he wouldn't be involved in the relationship system since that is a base game feature.

Well, I legitemely assume/hope this is what we're going to get anyway. I think it was even suggested on the stream itself that this will be the case? 

Technically, he most probably still would qualify as a sidekick - he has no relationships or personal quest and is potentially more interesting than vanilla companions :p ... but that's just unimportant semantics.

To be honest, it does sound a bit like the writers are trying to work around the relationship system - which I don't know how to feel about it. But maybe I'm just too jaded for my own good.

So if they havent increased the level cap what other incentives are there for people to buy the expansion apart from more story?

Are the more spells, abilities ect ? new game features?

New companion/sidekick, new items, new pieces of lore, new ending slides.
New priest subclass as well iirc.

if this all they are adding this is an incredibly underwhelming expansion release?

So apart from new magic items all we get is a new sidekick and 1 new subclass while at the same time not being able to level up any higher?

I can t believe i am seeing this actually happening

You know, I’m starting to think ...that you MIGHT not actually be the number 1 fanboy

• Like 7

Well, it's a pity there's no level cap, but I definitely understand the reason for it.

If we have some new levels, we need some new PL, abilities, spells etc. If we talk about multiclasses - that's easy, as they get the 8 PL and so on. But the single class? There are already powerful abilities, like Meteor shower, and the "new higher level abilities" should be better, something like "Crash the Eora apart storm" or "Summon Rymrgand's elder brother and let him fight". Such abilities would be too gamebreaking and not so interesting.

Another variant is to create an extra zero level, or something, the name is not the point with some passives - plus might or damage and so on, equal for the single multi, right after Power level 9 and 7 respectively, but that's not so interesting, and it's not a good idea to give 9 PL to the multi, as it makes single class worthless.

And third variant is to balance previous abilities and create some new items and weapons, changing certain builds. For example, as I hope, there will be several accessories giving new features or boosting the character, while spiritshifted or in ogre form, or a small box with dead bodies for the flesh communion like that undead machine from Warcraft 3 (although that sounds stupid) or at least give the ability to use flesh like potions or anything else. And of course some new subclasses avaiable for us with no mods.

Anyway, I like deadfire, it's great either way

Edited by Gregorovich

So if they havent increased the level cap what other incentives are there for people to buy the expansion apart from more story?

Are the more spells, abilities ect ? new game features?

New companion/sidekick, new items, new pieces of lore, new ending slides.
New priest subclass as well iirc.
if this all they are adding this is an incredibly underwhelming expansion release?

So apart from new magic items all we get is a new sidekick and 1 new subclass while at the same time not being able to level up any higher?

I can t believe i am seeing this actually happening

You know, I’m starting to think ...that you MIGHT not actually be the number 1 fanboy

What does it mean to be the No1 Fanboy?

Why don’t you tell us? :)

• Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus