Beast of Winter DLC Announcement

Well, we will be able to explore the Hel and fight a Dragon who even the Gods fear... So cool  :bow:

And to me any expansion is a DLC but not all DLC is an expansion  :cat:

• Like 7

Currently Playing

• Pillars of Eternity
  • Morrowind
  • Stardew Valley

Future Play

• Deadfire
  • Oblivion
  • The Witcher

Actually, they've called them DLC and expansions in the past. You can still find on Obsidian's website where they call them expansions.

Honestly the difference is kinda artificial. An expansion that is downloaded is a DLC. It's just the bad taste left by early DLCs like horse armour that have left a bad taste with the name DLC, but I doubt anyone within the industry sees a difference beyond a PR one.

• Like 2

if this all they are adding this is an incredibly underwhelming expansion release?

So apart from new magic items all we get is a new sidekick and 1 new subclass while at the same time not being able to level up any higher?

I can t believe i am seeing this actually happening

This is not an expansion, it's a DLC. Different things.

You should be thankful it wasn't just horse armor.

Err, hang on just a minute. You mean they'd add rideable mounts just to add DLC horse armor? I think I'd buy that.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

So apart from new magic items [...] we get [...] a new sidekick and 1 new subclass [...]?

Yes, awesome isn't it? Also because the whole Seaon Pass costs only as much as White March did when it came out.

• Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

As Alex said in the stream, that first DLC BoW could be made by designers mostly (while the rest of the dev team is still fixing bugs and doing balancing). Raising the level cap would mean new mechanics for new abilites - and this would mean that artists, animators, programmers etc. have to be involved more and so on.

WMI raised the level cap from 12 to 14 and WMII from 14 to 16. Maybe in one of the later DLCs we can expect an increase as well - because that might come at a time where resources of programmers etc. are not bound that much anymore. The time between Deadfire --> BoW is a LOT shorter than PoE --> WMI.

Just wild guessing though.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 7

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I was hyped for him being a companion :c. I hope its a sidekick in the sense of no relationship system and no quest, but has a good amount of content, and doesn't feel an incomplete companion and missed opportunity,

A little worried about the comedy :sweat:

If we play the expansion during the normal game, we will level up. ;)

I will do all the quests in my first pt, but if there is too much experience, I'll simply roleplay my way out of certain quests on subsequent pts. Maybe I'll kill pirates on sight for example.

The Rymrgand priest will be interesting, even if it needs a mod to be used by the player.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Actually, they've called them DLC and expansions in the past. You can still find on Obsidian's website where they call them expansions.

Honestly the difference is kinda artificial. An expansion that is downloaded is a DLC. It's just the bad taste left by early DLCs like horse armour that have left a bad taste with the name DLC, but I doubt anyone within the industry sees a difference beyond a PR one.

I agree that an expansion is a DLC, but I classify it as a large DLC. Like $10 - $15 or more. There's a big difference in tiny $2 DLC and large $20 DLC. I know I've heard CD Projekt Red say in the past that they view DLC and expansions as different. I think they mainly said that because they are sick of other companies releasing dumb little $2 DLCs though.

• Like 1

Hello)

Is it possible for the main character to be the priest of Rymrgand?

With mods almost anything is possible.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

our first thought after watching the most recent twitch stream were that somebody at obsidian is a fan o' the 1982 conan movie.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

a Dragon who even the Gods fear...

Does that mean she predates the gods?
Can someone confirm that the dragon part isn’t conjecture? I don’t recall there being anything even close to this spoilery in the dev stream.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Dragon’s mentioned on eternity.obsidian.net

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

a Dragon who even the Gods fear...

Does that mean she predates the gods?
Can someone confirm that the dragon part isn’t conjecture? I don’t recall there being anything even close to this spoilery in the dev stream.

I thought by lore dragons are just intelligent adult Wyrum? but the game makes them seems so magical for some reason. 

Are we 100% sure Vatnir is not a proper companion?

Somewhere in the last 3-4 minutes they confirmed that he is a sidekick

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."