Sanguine Plate (or similar) armor in Deadfire: You know you want it!

How many of you remember good ol' Sanguine Plate from Pillars of Eternity?

Arguably one of the best-looking armors the game had to offer:

rQSLJvw.png

Blood-red, with runes etched all over and golden trimmings. The White March expansion even added a red helm to match.

Unfortunately, this item didn't carry over to Deadfire—nor was a similar armor included. A little bird told me it's not even planned at present, so I figured I'd start a thread to gauge people's appetite for one. If you too loved the Sanguine Plate and would like it—or a similar-looking armor—to exist in Deadfire please join me in saying so. If interest in it is apparent, I can tweet this thread to Obsidian/Brandon to bring this to their attention in hope something will happen ;)

• Like 17

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

While Sanguine plate defined my watcher in his Gilded Vale days, I'm happy enough with his evolution to (RED) Nomad's Brigandine. 

Deadfire's hotter country, and I'm no longer trying to make a name for myself and my keep, just trying to stay protected between side quests. 

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

Isn't Nomad Brigandine one of the unique items that do not have a unique model?

Personally I find that none of the armors in Deadfire looks as good as Sanguine Plate (or, well, how good Sanguine Plate would look in Deadfire's engine with the high-poly models) :)

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Here goes nothing.

Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_10_57_34_AM.pn

Yeah, that's sort of what I'm getting at. It looks like a tough guys armor, not particularly ornate or specific. Suited for the rigors of the climate, and occasional necessities like burgling wizards or shaking down random thugs. 

Certainly the sanguine plate would look better with these new graphics, and the frenzy is keenly missed. 

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

Gimme Sanguine Plate for my Sanguine Great Sword! How can any sane dev seriously put a Sanguine Great Sword into the game but deny me my Sanguine Plate? I think I'm going all CAPS LOCK!

• Like 11

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Personally I’m more after the looks than the specific mechanics it had in the first game (even in PoE I was using it mostly for the looks.)

• Like 2

I'm more of a brestplate guy and I want my Osric's family, Steel Swan, and that black one from WM2 watcher. Now.

The ones that are currently in deadfire are either too shiny (Doc), pompouse (Pallegina / honor guard) or too ragged (Casita). Hell, generic enchanted ones look better than unique.

• Like 1

I find the armor designs in POE2 fairly unimpressive, comparing the designs to POE.

There are so many types of historical armor to draw upon for inspiration and ways to make armor look even cooler with physical details (wings, animal features, spikes, etc.) or particle effects (slight smoke, fire, lightning, etc.).

Yeah, they really did a lame job with armor...

Honestly I don't think armor design in Deadfire is bad at all. I like how it is rooted in historical armor, which was notoriously keener on being practical than looking good—and even then, armor in Deadfire looks good.

The thing is, magical armor often doesn't look as special as it could/should. No need to venture into cartoonish, WoW territory with oversized stuff packed with rounded corners and bright colors but, as heldred said, spikes, runes, chains, and VFX would go a long way. Something like the Sanguine Plate in high-poly would look amazing and hopefully Obsidian will give it to us :)

• Like 5

Yeah the gear overall looked much better in the first, also more interesting enchantments on em. But i guess it doesnt really matter unless they implement appearance slots. Until then my watchers will continue to dress in DoC breastplate ;P

Ya, if they had a transmog/appearance slot for every piece of visible armor, that would be quite cool.

I do think the actual unique effects are better than the first game, though. My favorite examples being the alchemist’s cache, the indecisive necklace, and the shifting chroma. (I love random effects)

I ageee, Leather (superb+) looks great....

The magic stuff looks too common. Maybe that was the look they were going for, conservative-bland... somewhere between wow-esque and bland is a happy medium.

Better yet, offer everything and let the players decide :)

I’m surprised so few people are actually keen on having this armor back.

Am I in the minority because not many people actually liked the red armor much, or because not many people actually give a flying what their character looks like?

I mean, I find both answers equally flabbergasting but you know—might as well quench my curiosity at this point :)

+1

Bring back the Sanguine Plate

• Like 1

Here goes nothing.

Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_10_57_34_AM.pn

Yeah, that's sort of what I'm getting at. It looks like a tough guys armor, not particularly ornate or specific. Suited for the rigors of the climate, and occasional necessities like burgling wizards or shaking down random thugs. 

Certainly the sanguine plate would look better with these new graphics, and the frenzy is keenly missed. 

That is a really cool character picture. Can you post that for download?

• Like 1