Example : I have 0 Diplomacy on Watcher and 11 on a party member. Given that the threshold for party assist in this case is +5 when I have to check for Diplomacy, will I check with my party member's 11 score or will I just receive the +5 assist for the Watcher ?

Thanks in advance ! 

Regular conversation is always Watcher and nearly always with Party Assist allowed. So it's 5 in your case.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Generally, companions can only use their own skills during text adventure sections. That said, Party Assist is a thing and the bonus from it can get pretty large.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

As a general rule. In regular interactions, it's always Watcher's skill plus Party Assist. In scripted interactions you can sometimes choose a party member for the task (for example identifying an animal), and then it's that character's skill plus Party Assist. Other times everyone in the whole party needs to pass a check, and I believe PA is still active then.

There are allegedly a few cases where PA isn't active. I don't know which they are. Even when it says Watcher-only check in a scripted interaction I still seem to get PA.

For picking a lock or disarming a trap it's whoever you send at it whose skill that counts, again with PA included.

I hope I didn't say anything incorrect now.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Nope, that's pretty much it,  thanks.

Basically when assigning points for teamates i'm actually giving roughly 50% of that score for the watcher as party assist.

And finally, with the thresholds for party assist bonuses you should either go 7 (+4), 11 (+5) and so on, anything in between is just pointless.

Did I get that right ? please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Nope, that's pretty much it, thanks.

Basically when assigning points for teamates i'm actually giving roughly 50% of that score for the watcher as party assist.

And finally, with the thresholds for party assist bonuses you should either go 7 (+4), 11 (+5) and so on, anything in between is just pointless.

Did I get that right ? please correct me if I'm wrong.

Afaik, you got it, my dude.