So, this is my attempt to resurrect my old Cipher character from the first game as a multiclass Rogue affiliated with the RDC. I wanted to try for a build that offered a good mix of damage and CC (Unfortunately, this has proven harder than expected). This is my best attempt at what I had in PoE1, but it's definitely open for improvement. 

Stats:

18 Might (14 Base +1 Human +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Gift of the Machine +1 Permanent Stat boost Potion) 
10 Constitution (6 Base + 2 Berath's Blessing +1 Rauatai +1 Effigy's Resentment (Durance)) 
15 Dexterity (12 Base +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch) 
21 Perception (18 Base +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch) 
20 Intellect (18 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)
10 Resolve (7 Base +1 Human +2 Berath's Blessing) 

Abilities: 

Level 1 - Crippling Strike/Whispers of Treason
Level 2 - Escape
Level 3 - Penetrating Visions
Level 4 - Blinding Strike/Biting Whip
Level 5 - Dirty Fighting
Level 6 - Mental Binding
Level 7 - Psychic Backlash/Confounding Blind
Level 8 - Hammering Thoughts
Level 9 - Secret Horrors
Level 10 - Silent Scream/Shadow Step
Level 11 - Mind Lance
Level 12 - Adept Evasion
Level 13 - Deep Wounds/Keen Mind
Level 14 - Rapid Casting
Level 15 - Farcasting
Level 16 - Amplified Wave/Perishing Strike
Level 17 - Slippery Mind
Level 18 - Disintegration
Level 19 - The Complete Self/Deathblows
Level 20 - Echoing Horror

This is VERY rough and badly in need of love. I would really appreciate any feedback you could provide that'd make this build viable. 

You might also want to try a cipher/helwalker if you're looking for a martial multi - swift flurry makes a noticeable difference on casting/recovery times and you get plenty of damage from might boosts, turning wheel, and refundable full attacks via stunning surge. If you're set on rogue, I would probably recommend trickster (mirror image + repulsive visage on acquiring every first engagement) to protect against interrupts. I'd also take devastating blow for the extra damage/focus potential. 

You might also want to try a cipher/helwalker if you're looking for a martial multi - swift flurry makes a noticeable difference on casting/recovery times and you get plenty of damage from might boosts, turning wheel, and refundable full attacks via stunning surge. If you're set on rogue, I would probably recommend trickster (mirror image + repulsive visage on acquiring every first engagement) to protect against interrupts. I'd also take devastating blow for the extra damage/focus potential. 

Cipher/Monk seems like a good choice as well. Hmm. I really like the idea of using Shreds, I just wish there were more that did decent damage. 

Why did you take Biting Whip on an Ascendant? Don't you like Ascension state?

The other comment that I have is that you pick very few Cipher powers. And have none damage powers before level 10. Is that intentional?

Why did you take Biting Whip on an Ascendant? Don't you like Ascension state?

The other comment that I have is that you pick very few Cipher powers. And have none damage powers before level 10. Is that intentional?

I guess I just figured "Hey, extra damage." 

As far as very few Cipher powers, that's also true. I'll see about adjusting the balance a bit. 

do simply do not take psychic backlash and mind lance (if you take silent scream). Oh and get rid of keen mind it is a waste in the end, and farcasting to an extent. and what the hell is adept evasion?

just use bounding boot/ escape to get jump away from things that rush you.

instead you have 4 point to spend now on:

-Ring the Bell+ranged upgrade

-Ringleader

-Borrowed Instinct (you like hitting things with crits right?)

do simply do not take psychic backlash and mind lance (if you take silent scream). Oh and get rid of keen mind it is a waste in the end, and farcasting to an extent. and what the hell is adept evasion?

just use bounding boot/ escape to get jump away from things that rush you.

instead you have 4 point to spend now on:

-Ring the Bell+ranged upgrade

-Ringleader

-Borrowed Instinct (you like hitting things with crits right?)

Yes I do. 

Level 1 - Crippling Strike/Eyestrike

Level 2 - Soul Shock or Mind Wave (Respec to Escape at level 5)
Level 4 - Two-Weapon Style/Draining Whip
Level 5 - Mind Blades (Respec to Mental Binding at Level 10)
Level 6 - Dirty Fighting
Level 7 - Secret Horrors/Strike the Bell
Level 9 - Puppet Master
Level 10 - Silent Scream/Shadowing Beyond
Level 11 - ???
Level 12 - Finishing Blow
Level 13 - Pierce the Bell/Borrowed Instinct
Level 14 - Rapid Casting
Level 15 - Ringleader
Level 16 - Amplified Wave/???
Level 17 - The Empty Soul
Level 19 - Ancestor's Honor/Deathblows

Alright, so maybe something like this? 

I'd probably go with a Trickster/Ascendant (Just for access to Illusion spells to further proc Sneak Attack). Since Soul Whip doesn't turn off at max Focus, it combos really well even with a reduced Sneak Attack damage. 

Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather

EDIT: Ah, geez. You posted just as I was done. This only refers to the 1st post. I'll edit it later to take into account the revised version.

EDIT2: And updated!

Eyestrike is usually better if you want to stay ranged. Whispers of Treason rarely sees use once you get Puppet Master as well and you can't respec out of your level 1 picks.

Level 2 - Mind Wave

I personally prefer Soul Shock but either choice is fine. Should note this should get respec'd in favour of Escape once you get Mind Blades or Silent Scream.

Level 4 - Blinding Strike/Draining Whip

Its better to use the Rogue pick for either Two Weapon Style or Two Handed Style here, depending on whether you're using an Arquebus or dual pistols/blunderbusses. Blinding Strike isn't too useful on a Cipher multiclass because of Eyestrike.

Level 5 - Dirty Fighting

Level 6 - Mind Blades

Minor nitpick but Mental Binding or Mind Blades should be gotten the level before Dirty Fighting. Mind Blades should be respec'd out in favour of Mental Binding once you get Silent Scream.

Level 7 - Secret Horrors/Confounding Blind

Strike the Bell is way better than the Blind upgrade, especially on a ranged build. Because again, you've already got a source of Blind in Eyestrike.

Level 13 - Deep Wounds/Borrowed Instinct

I would get Pierce the Bell instead of Deep Wounds at this level. Deep Wounds isn't going to be that useful since you should be spamming powers once you hit Ascended.

The Complete Self is pointless when you're not going to be spending much Focus in the first place thanks to Ascended. Ancestor's Memory is also way to good to pass up at this level.

Edited by Wolken3156

EDIT: Ah, geez. You posted just as I was done. This only refers to the 1st post. I'll edit it later to take into account the revised version.

EDIT2: And updated!

Eyestrike is usually better if you want to stay ranged. Whispers of Treason rarely sees use once you get Puppet Master as well and you can't respec out of your level 1 picks.

Level 2 - Mind Wave

I personally prefer Soul Shock but either choice is fine. Should note this should get respec'd in favour of Escape once you get Mind Blades or Silent Scream.

Level 4 - Blinding Strike/Draining Whip

Its better to use the Rogue pick for either Two Weapon Style or Two Handed Style here, depending on whether you're using an Arquebus or dual pistols/blunderbusses. Blinding Strike isn't too useful on a Cipher multiclass because of Eyestrike.

Level 5 - Dirty Fighting

Level 6 - Mind Blades

Minor nitpick but Mental Binding or Mind Blades should be gotten the level before Dirty Fighting. Mind Blades should be respec'd out in favour of Mental Binding once you get Silent Scream.

Level 7 - Secret Horrors/Confounding Blind

Strike the Bell is way better than the Blind upgrade, especially on a ranged build. Because again, you've already got a source of Blind in Eyestrike.

Level 13 - Deep Wounds/Borrowed Instinct

I would get Pierce the Bell instead of Deep Wounds at this level. Deep Wounds isn't going to be that useful since you should be spamming powers once you hit Ascended.

The Complete Self is pointless when you're not going to be spending much Focus in the first place thanks to Ascended. Ancestor's Memory is also way to good to pass up at this level.

Alright, I took your suggestions into account and this is what I came up with. I actually never really thought about Pierce the Bell for a Gunslinger, but it makes a ton of sense. Especially for Blunderbusses... that's +3 extra Penetration on a low Pen weapon. 

Level 1 - Crippling Strike/Eyestrike

Level 2 - Soul Shock or Mind Wave (Respec to Escape at level 5)

Level 4 - Two-Weapon Style/Draining Whip

Level 5 - Mind Blades (Respec to Mental Binding at Level 10)

Level 6 - Dirty Fighting

Level 7 - Secret Horrors/Strike the Bell

Level 9 - Puppet Master

Level 10 - Silent Scream/Shadowing Beyond

Level 11 - ???

Level 12 - Finishing Blow

Level 13 - Pierce the Bell/Borrowed Instinct

Level 14 - Rapid Casting

Level 15 - Ringleader

Level 16 - Amplified Wave/???

Level 17 - The Empty Soul

Level 19 - Ancestor's Honor/Deathblows

Still not completely sold on the Level 9 and 12 slots, and I definitely don't know what I ought to be taking for the level 11 slot or the Rogue slot on 16. I am liking this so far, it's a better mix of Rogue/Cipher abilities, and I still get Sneak Attack on Pierce the Bell and such. I have a few different ideas for Rogue subclasses. Once I have more of an idea of what skills to take, I'll post a finalized version with equipment. 

Party-wise, I'm definitely going to want a Morningstar user - maybe Eder or Rekke - for Body Blows though to keep Fortitude low. 

Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather

A quick note on planning builds around a respec:

I have two saves where I lost all of my level 1 skill selections after respec. That's games started after 1.2

Just keep in mind you may not be able to respec out of anything. I am stuck on my saves without the ability to respec as originally planned

I have two saves where I lost all of my level 1 skill selections after respec. That's games started after 1.2

Just keep in mind you may not be able to respec out of anything. I am stuck on my saves without the ability to respec as originally planned

... Good to know! Kind of sucks that I won't have a DPS option until Level 10 for Ascendant, but I might just go with what I'd respec into, then... 

That mainly happens when you respec after picking an upgraded version of the skill. I know for sure it happens with the Chanter's Skeleton Summon after picking its upgraded version.

So long as you don't respec after getting Crippling Strike's upgrade you should be fine.

Edited by Wolken3156

That mainly happens when you respec after picking an upgraded version of the skill. I know for sure it happens with the Chanter's Skeleton Summon after picking its upgraded version.

So long as you don't respec after getting Crippling Strike's upgrade you should be fine.

So, what do you think of the skill layout? Any suggestions for those spots I don't have anything in?