Classes From a Roleplay Perspective?

So, I've been having a heck of a time coming up with a solid class combination to fit the character that I'm currently planning on going with (An RDC allied Watcher with pro-Rauatai roots), because, honestly, I feel like class balance is in a pretty good place right now and I can make a bunch of things that all sound good for mechanics. So, I've decided to come here to propose the different options I've come up with and get some feedback on which one would best suit the following character.

"The Spymaster is intended as an intelligence agent with ties to Rauatai (In my case), who was originally dispatched to the Dyrwood on an espionage mission before being caught up in the events of the main plot. Now that Caed Nua, his main anchor to the region, has been destroyed, he sees his new "post" in the Deadfire as a way to further his nation's interests in the region." 

This character is: 

- Highly loyal to the RDC

- Well versed in espionage, assassination, and torture techniques

- Has strong underworld connections/favors strong underworld connections

The Options: 

1. Inquisitor (Ascendant/Bleak Walker)

2. Mindstalker 

3. Holy Slayer (Rogue/Bleak Walker)

4. Spellblade (Rogue/Wizard)

• Like 1

I'd be careful being stuck with a bleak walker, so you don't have to pigeonhole Rauatai as being cruel. 
I think, if anything, they're Rational. Slow conquest of a continent by degrees will do that to you. Sort of the same reason to oppose slavery. A slave needs guards, a subject will guard himself. 

On the other hand, it could be what you want out of this character.

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

I'd be careful being stuck with a bleak walker, so you don't have to pigeonhole Rauatai as being cruel. 

I think, if anything, they're Rational. Slow conquest of a continent by degrees will do that to you. Sort of the same reason to oppose slavery. A slave needs guards, a subject will guard himself. 

On the other hand, it could be what you want out of this character.

That's a fair point! I'd actually considered playing a Transcendent as well. I like the idea of some kind of Cipher multiclass. 

My only experience with mindstalker is Ydwin, who is on the fragile side for how I do combat. 

In principle, she works well, getting off lots of high speed attacks to generate focus for some outstanding debuffs. 

In practice, her abysmal CON of 10 and dual squish classes keep her constantly on the cusp of blacking out. 

Your high CON streetfighter idea would likely fare better in this role. 

Unfortunately, POE rogues don't get any more skills, which means they somehow need to bluff, stealth, slight and disarm with little left for athletics. 

A watcher would have an easier time, due to berath's boons and trainers, though. 

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

My only experience with mindstalker is Ydwin, who is on the fragile side for how I do combat. 

In principle, she works well, getting off lots of high speed attacks to generate focus for some outstanding debuffs. 

In practice, her abysmal CON of 10 and dual squish classes keep her constantly on the cusp of blacking out. 

Your high CON streetfighter idea would likely fare better in this role. 

Unfortunately, POE rogues don't get any more skills, which means they somehow need to bluff, stealth, slight and disarm with little left for athletics. 

A watcher would have an easier time, due to berath's boons and trainers, though. 

You mean this? https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103598-the-spymaster-a-heavy-roleplay-spellblade-streetfighterwizard-build-for-potd-completed/

I have so many builds on the other forum, they're probably sick of me, honestly. 

Really, I should just go with this and stick with it. 

Mindstalker or Spellblade. Bleak Walker doesn't really fit stealth or national loyalty, they're mercenaries known for overt violence and atrocity that a covert assassin would want to avoid.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

In my very biased opinion, Cipher and or Rogue make for great RP.

Mindstalker I recommend Trickster/Soulblade. Trickster has been buffed significant and Soul Annihilation is just a beastly ability.

Edited by Verde

My canon Watcher is Mindstalker (Trickster/Ascendant). I never played her after 1.2 but don't think it changed much. This class is obviously great for RP if you want to roguish and cunning character: she was sneaky, great at manipulations and talented with mechanics. But gameplay is really hard if you want to play dual-wielding style game pushes you to try. Even on normal difficulty with 9 CON she was first one to die, despite my efforts. So it's ranged weapon or micromanagement with great chance she'll die anyway.

My canon Watcher is Mindstalker (Trickster/Ascendant). I never played her after 1.2 but don't think it changed much. This class is obviously great for RP if you want to roguish and cunning character: she was sneaky, great at manipulations and talented with mechanics. But gameplay is really hard if you want to play dual-wielding style game pushes you to try. Even on normal difficulty with 9 CON she was first one to die, despite my efforts. So it's ranged weapon or micromanagement with great chance she'll die anyway.

Yeah, that's sort of been my biggest issue with it. I've been wondering about maybe doing an Inquisitor, but then people have said that Bleak Walker would be too limiting from a roleplay perspective because it'd typecast Rauatai as being cruel. I do like the idea of being an Inquisitor though. 

Yeah, that's sort of been my biggest issue with it. I've been wondering about maybe doing an Inquisitor, but then people have said that Bleak Walker would be too limiting from a roleplay perspective because it'd typecast Rauatai as being cruel. I do like the idea of being an Inquisitor though.
You could reason that it's just *your * character that's cruel, and the system accepts it /turns a blind eye because you do enough good for the Rauatai. People aren't usually - 100%- representative of their country or group. I'm sure there are cruel people integrated in any of the factions in Deadfire.

Edit : that said, I was going to originally suggest cipher? or chanter because I read they're part of the typical Rauatai army /military forces. But you could make pretty much anything work. :)

Edited by Tick
  • Like 1

You could reason that it's just *your * character that's cruel, and the system accepts it /turns a blind eye because you do enough good for the Rauatai. People aren't usually - 100%- representative of their country or group. I'm sure there are cruel people integrated in any of the factions in Deadfire.

Edit : that said, I was going to originally suggest cipher? or chanter because I read they're part of the typical Rauatai army /military forces. But you could make pretty much anything work. :)

Right now, for the kind of character I'm wanting to make, I'm leaning toward Cipher/something at range. Chanter would also work though - if I can't come up with a Cipher build I'm satisfied with, I might consider that. 

• Like 1

Mindstalker I recommend Trickster/Soulblade. Trickster has been buffed significant and Soul Annihilation is just a beastly ability.

How'd they buff Trickster?
Added an Illusion spell for every PL (as opposed to every other), reduced Guile required for some spells, and reduced Sneak Attack penalty to -10% (essentially the only negative). Edited by Verde

How'd they buff Trickster?
Added an Illusion spell for every PL (as opposed to every other), reduced Guile required for some spells, and reduced Sneak Attack penalty to -10% (essentially the only negative).

Which, when you combo with Cipher, is pretty much immediately negated anyway... 

Trickster/Ascendant ranged Gunslinger it is, I suppose.