Extremely Elementary Questions

I have very limited time right now to get to grips with how modding works, so please bear with me. If I think of a question I'll pop it in this thread and hopefully you can help me along.

First question: I want to mess with the damage types for some weapons- a club that does slash damage, a crossbow that does shock/burn etc. The standard weapon attacks are all in their own file in the game's Exported folder, of course, and I experimented with giving my crossbow the Kalakoth's Blights attack, which was pretty fun.

Anyway, I looked at TT1's warbow that does shock damage and the attack for that weapon was in the same file with the weapon itself, with its own attackID. Would I just need to do the same? Say, copy over the crossbow attack into the unique crossbow file, change it to be the way I want, then give it a new UUID and put that UUID under the weapon's attackID? Is anything else needed to customise the base attack?

Second question: is it possible to have an item that gives a variable damage bonus? Like, a trinket that gives +10-20% damage or whatever? Is it possible to make other variables like accuracy or penetration have a range like damage does on a weapon attack? From looking at the values those are always fixed because there isn't a minimum and maximum value like there is for damage, but I figured I'd ask in case there was something I was missing

I have very limited time right now to get to grips with how modding works, so please bear with me. If I think of a question I'll pop it in this thread and hopefully you can help me along.

First question: I want to mess with the damage types for some weapons- a club that does slash damage, a crossbow that does shock/burn etc. The standard weapon attacks are all in their own file in the game's Exported folder, of course, and I experimented with giving my crossbow the Kalakoth's Blights attack, which was pretty fun.

Anyway, I looked at TT1's warbow that does shock damage and the attack for that weapon was in the same file with the weapon itself, with its own attackID. Would I just need to do the same? Say, copy over the crossbow attack into the unique crossbow file, change it to be the way I want, then give it a new UUID and put that UUID under the weapon's attackID? Is anything else needed to customise the base attack?

Second question: is it possible to have an item that gives a variable damage bonus? Like, a trinket that gives +10-20% damage or whatever? Is it possible to make other variables like accuracy or penetration have a range like damage does on a weapon attack? From looking at the values those are always fixed because there isn't a minimum and maximum value like there is for damage, but I figured I'd ask in case there was something I was missing

About first question the answer is yes, you can put just the reference that you need to mod in your/s gamedatabundle (usually i make just one) but yoy could also make more files how stated below me :)

About second question i guess is doable but i never tried so it have to be tested.

OFC Check also here

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103384-tutorial-modding-basic-concepts/

Edited by kilay

Anyway, I looked at TT1's warbow that does shock damage and the attack for that weapon was in the same file with the weapon itself, with its own attackID. Would I just need to do the same?

Not necessarily. I only do this for the purpose of keeping everything in one place and making changes easier. I could have one file just for the items, another for the skills, another for the itemsmods, another for the status effects, another for the characters, etc (and that's how Obsidian actually does).

As long as everything is there, with their respective unique IDs, it makes no difference to the game, but it makes a difference to the readability of your code and to allow others to use it.

Second question: is it possible to have an item that gives a variable damage bonus? Like, a trinket that gives +10-20% damage or whatever? Is it possible to make other variables like accuracy or penetration have a range like damage does on a weapon attack? 

I think its possible, yes. I mean, thats how those paladin auras work, right?

Edited by TT1

In addition, it doesn't need to be in the same file.

You can have a Crossbow.gamedatabundle (with crossbow stats) and Crossbow_Attack.gamedatabundle, containing the crossbow's customized attack.

You might be able to give a variable damage if you link to some form of attribute/skill. For example, link the bonus to the % of health.

You can also give different bonuses based on range, for example.

Just look at how the sharpshooter subclass do that.

Edited by Kohwalter

I've got a blank at the bottom of Convo Modding (last one)

This, essentially, gives you a basic structure - not content - for a mod

May as well add it here...

This does nothing - which is why it's called blank

Basically you extract the thing, change the name to [my-amazing-mod] and everything is in place

Feel free to join our little Slack group - PM me for an invite. All the peeps you wanna talk to reside there.

I let a dragon into the world when I created this one - my iPad was binging many times minute - it was driving me crazy!

Turns out it was Slack informing me of every convo on the channel (we did 2350 - ish this week)

You'll find a welcome home where sharing is the goal

PM me your email and we'll add you. We've got 10 members ATM (every one is on page one / two)

• Like 1

OK Fair warning has been applied

I'm gonna move the domain to https://perspak.com early Feb but will keep all content

There are reasons behind this move which basically boil down to unifying my release schedule

My friends are welcome to play (I'll set you up your own areas if you desire them)

Please note that this process is messy so may take a few weeks 

Speaking as another beginner, the best thing you can do to learn is to dive in head first. In particular I would suggest you download existing mods, open them up, and see how they work.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I've been mulling over the 2nd question a bit and getting a true random additional damage statuseffect seems quite tricky.  You can certainly modify values based on many factors but getting a straight up random figure between 10 and 20 percent is not pretty with what knowledge I've garnered so far.  You could add in 11 status effects to be chosen at random on attack.  Easy enough but messy to look at in status effects.  Not quite so easy to trigger for all attacks.

An invisible nulldamage instant attack going off on trigger (or on a tick) could set the value at any given time but this isn't elegant either and the more of that sort of stuff there is going on there's more risk of lagging stuff up and just general unintended mess.  I was thinking random values for a few things would be nice to have so I'll look into this further.   Getting it all to roll in to any single attack seems hard even using preapplied triggers because the numbers are already generated they just haven't been applied.  I'm not certain whether they'd be changed by a linked statuseffect then applied - yet.

This goes further than just damage values for me.  I have classes I'm creating that have all sorts of values manipulated by circumstance but I'm looking at Chaos elements (truly random) and they seem more difficult to create than they ought to be at this point so I probably haven't looked hard enough.  I'll get back to this at some point if it's simple enough and someone doesn't already know the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to some very helpful people here and in the slack, I'm coming along pretty decently. I've got an item set up with some mutually-exclusive enchantments which grant abilities, and I figure once I have two items I'm happy with I'll put a file on the nexus and update it as and when- I've had a lot of free time at work so jotted down a ton of hopefully-doable stuff. I do have a couple of questions:

1) is there a way to add the glow effect from something like the Voulge or Magran's Favor? I've messed around a bit with that and i wonder if that glow is just part of the model rather than a visual effect

2) is there a status effect that can cast an AOE spell on a critical hit?

Thanks to some very helpful people here and in the slack, I'm coming along pretty decently. I've got an item set up with some mutually-exclusive enchantments which grant abilities, and I figure once I have two items I'm happy with I'll put a file on the nexus and update it as and when- I've had a lot of free time at work so jotted down a ton of hopefully-doable stuff. I do have a couple of questions:

1) is there a way to add the glow effect from something like the Voulge or Magran's Favor? I've messed around a bit with that and i wonder if that glow is just part of the model rather than a visual effect

2) is there a status effect that can cast an AOE spell on a critical hit?

1) yes, check on slack i have posted just before about that

2)  i think it's doable,  you should be able to link an attack from a status effects from here

"AttackValueID": "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"

and to trigger on critical hit from EventValue

StatusEffectComponent

StatusEffectEventType Edited by kilay