At first I was kind of 'eh' to both it and the game's accents, but over time I grew used to it, and after that, I even started to find it charming. 

Only thing I could criticize is the lack of Dyrewood characters to add contrast, but I suppose that wouldn't make much sense lore wise.

It's getting a little annoying now that I'm in Neketaka and almost any npc starts the conversation with "Ekera" and only that single word. Valians in Port Maje used made up terms but it wasn't just the same word over and over.

Edit: I wanted to add that the annoyance of valians for me was more about the voice over than the made up terms.

Edited by Daled

I love the variety. Even if it's encountered frequently, it helps drive home the distinct cultures present in the Deadfire and give them their unique flavor. Vailians take the cake, though, especially this little gem: 

Vu maddicche postenago! Buffan vi! Cues es malgro me fulpa med tuor! Peri chue na cracuna ve engeri! Vu tros men merla!

• Like 2

Serafen is fine and I'm not native English speaker. Try Udyne in bathhouse. :D

No problem with Serafen, too. I'm not a native speaker, but I have a much more harder time understanding that Australian guy in Doctor House. Udyne is awesome. I don't get what that's about, but she uses some german words, or at least words that are understandable for a german.

As for the Ekera stuff: I liked it very much, though I agree that it was slightly overused.

If I had a Euro for every time a German started a sentence work the word "genau," every time a Brit ended a rhetorical statement with "is/isn't it?" or every time an American interjected the word "cool," I'd be pretty rich too ;)

Cultures have linguistic quirks. I like games that improve upon reality as well, but that doesn't mean they can't borrow from it. It would be much more immersion-breaking if all of the factions spoke the same vanilla iteration of common, imo.

Genau!

Edited by Lord_Mord
  • Like 1

---

We're all doomed

No problem with Serafen, too. I'm not a native speaker, but I have a much more harder time understanding that Australian guy in Doctor House. Udyne is awesome. I don't get what that's about, but she uses some german words, or at least words that are understandable for a german.

It's because Udyne is Aedyran, and Aedyr is Germanic Britain. Aedyr's Hylspeak is clearly modelled after the real life German-influenced Old English.
  • Like 4

It's because Udyne is Aedyran, and Aedyr is Germanic Britain. Aedyr's Hylspeak is clearly modelled after the real life German-influenced Old English.

I always felt it was related to the Celtish languages, but that may be because the accent seemed to be Irish. To my untrained eye, that seemed to be what Udyne's text would indicate, provided I'm right that it models how she says the words.

• Like 1

Ionno, personally I felt that the words' context tended to make them feel organic. Good writing, that.

Yes! Because real people change their speaking patterns when the novelty of their expressions fade away.

Games are generally expected to be an improvement over reality...

If i had 1 Euro for every guy ive met who is naturally lacking in eloquence id be rich.

I dont want to spend money or my free time to listen to awful speakers repeating the same expression all the time especially if the main focus of the game is dialogue. (In the same way you dont want to play a racing game if the only available car is a honda civic and you have to stop at red lights)
If I had a Euro for every time a German started a sentence with the word "genau," every time a Brit ended a rhetorical statement with "is/isn't it?" or every time an American interjected the word "cool," I'd be pretty rich too ;)

Cultures have linguistic quirks. I like games that improve upon reality as well, but that doesn't mean they can't borrow from it. It would be much more immersion-breaking if all of the factions spoke the same vanilla iteration of common, imo.

Hey, Americans don't all interject the word cool. Some of us are from New York, we just ****ing curse all the ****ing time. ****.

Well, that and ****ney.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 3

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I thought this would be more annoying than it wound up being tbh. Deadfire has a genuinely impressive sense of place and I think these linguistic tics and the expressive architecture that play a big role in that.

Edited by Fredward
  • Like 1

I like it, though it's quite clumsy at times. I also like that they tried to make it make sense.

Now, if we'd only do something about "O Adventurer, if you would venture into the Gates of Evil, which lies beyond the Vanishing Desert if you take a left on the Intersection of Destruction right after the Subway Station of Shadows"

It feels a bit odd to me but most of the time I don't really notice it anymore so I guess that means it works.

In terms of VA and all of that, the biggest problem I had was Serafen's accent which... just feels so very predictable for the funny and foul-mouthed pirate character. For some reason it really bothered me in this particular game.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I have a few of those myself alright, but they alternate between moods, so no worries... I will admit that crafting a few different moods for each culture with different words would be cool, innit?

Them Valians actually have that already working for them, no?

EDIT:PS: and I got so used to the word that I wanted to use it in real life ;D.

Edited by Hulk'O'Saurus
  • Like 1

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

I remembered something. I know a guy from Russia. His family were German migrants from some generations ago and in the 90s he moved back here. I don't know were in Germany his family is from originally, but he has a very distinct way of speaking. The most noticeable thing is his frequent use of the word "Nu", spoken "Noo". It means something like "well" and he starts every second (German) sentence with it. I like it by the way, as it makes everything sound very calmly and relaxed. His German is not bad at all, he just has a slight accent, but it's just very different from nowadays German and therefore sometimes really hard to understand.
However, "Nu" reminds me strongly of "Ac!" or "Ekera". I know that such kind of habits are common for German communities in Russia, as they were isolated and spoke their own German for a couple of generations.

• Like 3

---

We're all doomed

I have a hard time with Serafen too, FWIW. Accent and using words and expressions I’m not used to.

I don't think she's actually speaking in proper English tbh.

Do some people speak like that IRL?

The only thing that's strange is that "ekera" is the only thing they say in their native tongue, isn't it? At least the Vailians use more terms.

Edited by Vaneglorious
  • Like 1