Di verus i couldnt agree more.

I cant stand Vailians for that reason in particular.

Also Serafen is hard to understand for me personally due to his strong accent and the fact that the voice actor doesnt seem to open his mouth all that much.

The last one is me nitpicking tho. I really appreciated the voiced dialogue a lot overall!

I have a hard time with Serafen too, FWIW. Accent and using words and expressions I’m not used to.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I have a hard time with Serafen too, FWIW. Accent and using words and expressions I’m not used to.

Serafen is fine and I'm not native English speaker. Try Udyne in bathhouse. :D

• Like 6

If my post hasn't been edited yet, I'm still looking to find the error I made typing it.

Not a conversation takes place without going over a few cliched Huana terms . At first this adds flavor to the story as developer perhaps intended but a while into the game it becomes thoroughly irritating, Ac?

Two games in a series and fake language terms are already clichéd lol.

It started to really stick out and bug my brain about halfway through, especially with Tekehu. But it makes sense that the translation for "Yes" shows up everywhere and eventually my brain got used to it again. After which it sounded pretty natural.

Yes! Because real people change their speaking patterns when the novelty of their expressions fade away.

Games are generally expected to be an improvement over reality...

If i had 1 Euro for every guy ive met who is naturally lacking in eloquence id be rich.

I dont want to spend money or my free time to listen to awful speakers repeating the same expression all the time especially if the main focus of the game is dialogue. (In the same way you dont want to play a racing game if the only available car is a honda civic and you have to stop at red lights)

Edited by Zelse
  • Like 1

Yes! Because real people change their speaking patterns when the novelty of their expressions fade away.

If i had 1 Euro for every guy ive met who is naturally lacking in eloquence id be rich.

I dont want to spend money or my free time to listen to awful speakers repeating the same expression all the time especially if the main focus of the game is dialogue. (In the same way you dont want to play a racing game if the only available car is a honda civic and you have to stop at red lights)

If I had a Euro for every time a German started a sentence with the word "genau," every time a Brit ended a rhetorical statement with "is/isn't it?" or every time an American interjected the word "cool," I'd be pretty rich too ;)

Cultures have linguistic quirks. I like games that improve upon reality as well, but that doesn't mean they can't borrow from it. It would be much more immersion-breaking if all of the factions spoke the same vanilla iteration of common, imo.

Edited by Purudaya
  • Like 9

If I had a Euro for every time a German started a sentence work the word "genau," every time a Brit ended a rhetorical statement with "is/isn't it?" or every time an American interjected the word "cool," I'd be pretty rich too ;)

Cultures have linguistic quirks. I like games that improve upon reality as well, but that doesn't mean they can't borrow from it. It would be much more immersion-breaking if all of the factions spoke the same vanilla iteration of common, imo.

I was listening to a podcast teaching German and the German lady said genau so frequently in such a way that it started to give me anxiety.

Should I not be saying "cool?" :(

If I had a Euro for every time a German started a sentence work the word "genau," every time a Brit ended a rhetorical statement with "is/isn't it?" or every time an American interjected the word "cool," I'd be pretty rich too ;)

I was listening to a podcast teaching German and the German lady said genau so frequently in such a way that it started to give me anxiety.

Should I not be saying "cool?" :(

Yeah, genau is basically the German ekera. I actually really love little colloquialisms like this - and as an American, I find "cool" and "ok" pretty much indispensable ;) Edited by Purudaya
  • Like 1

Yeah, genau is basically the German ekera. I actually really love little colloquialisms like this - and as an American, I find "cool" and "ok" pretty much indispensable ;)

What, no "awesome" in the American mandatory list? ;)

• Like 3

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yeah, genau is basically the German ekera. I actually really love little colloquialisms like this - and as an American, I find "cool" and "ok" pretty much indispensable ;)

What, no "awesome" in the American mandatory list? ;)

Very true, we are a perpetually awe-inspired people. Edited by Purudaya
  • Like 1

Vailian expressions such as "bazzo" and "merla" sound funny if you're Italian ;)

• Like 1

I was going to create a "Gellarde" thread, but I guess it'll be merged with this one, right?

You could create it anyways so that I have an excuse to be obnoxious by using the phrases, instead of properly responding like this time. ;)