Soooo...what's Obsidian's stance on mods?

I understand the Bio boards didn't allow it. Not sure why; Lucasarts pressure? If I'm violating board policy or something, feel free to erase.

With the assumption that we can say something regarding Mods, I'd just like to let Obsidian (and other players) know that the Hardcore mod (which substantially boosts the statistics of your enemies based upon your level) makes KOTOR much tougher and more interesting. It feels much more satisfying to engage Dark Jedi and actually have to work to win rather than just using 'Insanity' and hacking away....and for a nitpicker like me, it made a lot more sense that these guys who actually did have a chance in hell of beating me decided to attack rather than the previous chattle for my lightsaber who seemed to practically line up to die. :lol:

I didn't think it would amount to much, but I'm quite impressed. IMHO, it is what KOTOR should have been set to 'Difficult.' If KOTOR II is entering the stage where features stop and balancing begins, I hope someone over there gives it a look.

http://home.t-online.de/home/Talchia/HardcoreMOD1.zip

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Of the mods I've used, that's one of the ones I haven't gotten around to trying out yet.

I guess for me the difficulty (or seeming lack thereof) wasn't much of an issue when I played through.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Of the mods I've used, that's one of the ones I haven't gotten around to trying out yet.

I guess for me the difficulty (or seeming lack thereof) wasn't much of an issue when I played through.

Normally it's a secondary concern for me, as well. I never used any of Gaider's Upgrade packs for BG2, for example, except for Ascension which also expanded the storyline (which is what I'm primarily interested in.)

But in KOTOR, the enemies were just so....laughable. They literally had to throw dozens of them at you on the Star Forge just to give you a challenge; I know Revan is 'the Man' (errr...or 'the Woman'), but treating Sith and Jedi like expendable footsoldiers just always struck me the wrong way.

By the same token, 'fearsome' figures like Calo Nord and Darth Bandon were usually only a marginally greater challenge then your average grunt. It kinda takes away some of the epic feeling when, as often as not, you can end most of the major battles without a single lost hit point and your Force power bar at about half.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I agree that the Jedi and "sub-bosses" should have been much harder. But I guess it was never enough of a deterent to playing through a few times without having to download the mod to make them more difficult.

Besides, I already had a bunch of mods downloaded that probably would have conflicted with it. :D

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I agree that the Jedi and "sub-bosses" should have been much harder.  But I guess it was never enough of a deterent to playing through a few times without having to download the mod to make them more difficult.

Besides, I already had a bunch of mods downloaded that probably would have conflicted with it.  :D

No conflicts unless you're running a mod that changes the AI. I don't start a game without Talchia's hardcore mod installed....or his/her Padawan mod either for that matter :D

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I understand the Bio boards didn't allow it. Not sure why; Lucasarts pressure? If I'm violating board policy or something, feel free to erase.

With the assumption that we can say something regarding Mods, I'd just like to let Obsidian (and other players) know that the Hardcore mod (which substantially boosts the statistics of your enemies based upon your level) makes KOTOR much tougher and more interesting. It feels much more satisfying to engage Dark Jedi and actually have to work to win rather than just using 'Insanity' and hacking away....and for a nitpicker like me, it made a lot more sense that these guys who actually did have a chance in hell of beating me decided to attack rather than the previous chattle for my lightsaber who seemed to practically line up to die. :)

I didn't think it would amount to much, but I'm quite impressed. IMHO, it is what KOTOR should have been set to 'Difficult.' If KOTOR II is entering the stage where features stop and balancing begins, I hope someone over there gives it a look.

http://home.t-online.de/home/Talchia/HardcoreMOD1.zip

IIRC, Obsidian isn't pulling the shots when speaking of mods, their contract with Lucasarts strictly forbids them from supporting any kind mods ;)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

man im wishing i wouldve waited and bought the game on computer. since i dont have live i cant even get dlc. and with all those mods it wouldve been a lot more fun my 10th time through

the force is what gives a jedi his power. its an energy field created by all living things. it surrounds us and penetrates us. it binds the galaxy together

the override was simply left as apart of the design and was probaly used for testing and early developement. As for the reasons for no mod support, I think one of the plausible rumors is that Microsoft is paying off LA to have modding non-supported so people want to buy it for x-box therefore increase sales for their own product rather then the PC.

man im wishing i wouldve waited and bought the game on computer.  since i dont have live i cant even get dlc. and with all those mods it wouldve been a lot more fun my 10th time through

One of my favorite play throughs was when I used the KOTOR saved game editor and turned my entire party in to Republic soldiers. Not a single Jedi in my party. That was a bit more challenging.

Sneaky of microsoft.  :ph34r:

Just so Bill gates can have another $million  :angry:

"ONE.MILLION.DOLLARS!!"

No wait....

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Sneaky of microsoft.  :ph34r:

Just so Bill gates can have another $million  :angry:

to bill gates a million dollars is like pocket change. :angry: damn those rich bastards

the force is what gives a jedi his power. its an energy field created by all living things. it surrounds us and penetrates us. it binds the galaxy together

Excellent question, I've asked and let you know.

So whats the Word? Are modders going to be forced to struggle with modding TSL.

IF there is any hope that Obsidian will be allowed to help modders by LA. pease tell. Where are the Devs anyway? oh making games.

I just wanna mod. :huh: thier great work.

You are taking the words out of my mouth...err...keyboard... T7! :)

I am curious to know the answer although the mods here already started to lock threads about it...while subjects like this one survive longer: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=10235 <_<

Kudos to the devs for being a bit more liberal on this issue.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy