[Mod suggestion] Veteran difficulty with all PotD enemies

My first playthrough was on PotD as it was originally. I wasn't one of those people complaining that it was too easy but I could see where they were coming from. It provided a good challenge for me, it was fun, hard but manageable, I never felt as if I was in over my head. However, I think that if I can play a game on the highest difficulty setting and not feel "this is much too hard", it's probably too easy. That's because I'm not a great player, I'm just ok. I don't optimize every last bit, don't look for synergies in everything, don't want to obsessively prepare ahead of every fight, don't want to micromanage everything. I do all that to some extent but I don't make a science out of it. 

So when I went back to play the game recently I found that, after the recent patches, PotD had become too hard for me. I barely made it out of that first cave on the beach alive. That solitary rusted construct from before now has a couple of revenants and skeletons to guard it and at the raised platform that had a revenant and 2 skellies before, there's a high-ish level rotghast around now, that, while you can draw it alone, will absolutely maul you if you're not careful. The cave felt just at the edge of acceptable challenge for my first level mindstalker and swashbuckler Eder.

I thought, well, you gotta overcome and soldier on but I soon had to admit, no, this doesn't feel good, it's frustrating. The looters in the flooded part of Port Maje, that I found to be a pretty challenging fight before, now have a couple more, higher level goons among them and they just slaughter me. At the digsite I get mauled by boars and a young drake. 

I think that's ok, this is what the highest difficulty should feel like, just swallow your pride and play on Veteran. But now this feels too easy. Not only are enemies much easier to kill now because they don't have the PotD modifiers, the high level enemies that felt overwhelming before but should actually be challenging but fun on Veteran, are (mostly) gone. I feel there is too much of a difficulty gap now between Veteran and PotD. What would absolutely hit the sweet spot for me, what I would find really fun, is if I could have all the PotD enemies, the Rotghast, all the boars, the bloody Drake but in their normal, non-PotD buffed versions.

I have no idea how to make this happen, if it would be easy, difficult or impossible to do. But if there's someone out there who's able to do it and willing to invest the time and energy, I'd absolutely sing your praises!

Edited by mumbogumshoe

I'd also like to see something like this. PotD is a lot more satisfying in terms of mobs and fight complexity, but it can be a little bit too much of a crapshoot right now.

(I actually love PotD's Gorecci Street fight, but I'll be the first to admit that if the RNG doesn't like you it's a death sentence.)

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I would also want to see this as an option in the game itself. Make me able to customize my experience at the start of the game. Don't force me to choose between easier enemies AND lower count of them vs stronger enemies AND higher count of them.

I have had this same problem with Icewind Dale. Years later such an option was added in the Enhanced Edition.

My first playthrough was on PotD as it was originally. I wasn't one of those people complaining that it was too easy but I could see where they were coming from. It provided a good challenge for me, it was fun, hard but manageable, I never felt as if I was in over my head. However, I think that if I can play a game on the highest difficulty setting and not feel "this is much too hard", it's probably too easy. That's because I'm not a great player, I'm just ok. I don't optimize every last bit, don't look for synergies in everything, don't want to obsessively prepare ahead of every fight, don't want to micromanage everything. I do all that to some extent but I don't make a science out of it. 

So when I went back to play the game recently I found that, after the recent patches, PotD had become too hard for me. I barely made it out of that first cave on the beach alive. That solitary rusted construct from before now has a couple of revenants and skeletons to guard it and at the raised platform that had a revenant and 2 skellies before, there's a high-ish level rotghast around now, that, while you can draw it alone, will absolutely maul you if you're not careful. The cave felt just at the edge of acceptable challenge for my first level mindstalker and swashbuckler Eder.

I thought, well, you gotta overcome and soldier on but I soon I had to admit, no, this doesn't feel good, it's frustrating. The looters in the flooded part of Port Maje, that I found to be a pretty challenging fight before, now have a couple more, higher level goons among them and they just slaughter me. At the digsite I get mauled by boars and a young drake. 

I think that's ok, this is what the highest difficulty should feel like, just swallow your pride and play on Veteran. But now this feels too easy. Not only are enemies much easier to kill now because they don't have the PotD modifiers, the high level enemies that felt overwhelming before but should actually be challenging but fun on Veteran, are (mostly) gone. I feel there is too much of a difficulty gap now between Veteran and PotD. What would absolutely hit the sweet spot for me, what I would find really fun, is if I could have all the PotD enemies, the Rotghast, all the boars, the bloody Drake but in their normal, non-PotD buffed versions.

I have no idea how to make this happen, if it would be easy, difficult or impossible to do. But if there's someone out there who's able to do it and willing to invest the time and energy, I'd absolutely sing your praises!

Try that and play on PoTD, you should have the same number/kind of enemies of PoTD but with Veteran difficult bonuses.

https://mega.nz/#!T0pADQjJ!AGFoFuNWKU1_inBuSfIV9wLTRuw5Aju24rtHSWetvMs

Pillars_of_Eternity_II_Deadfire_Screensh

Edited by kilay
  • Like 4

Thank you kilay, I will try this!

OFC remember to disable it , exit and then re-run the game if you wanna start a real PoTD run

Edited by kilay