I'm about to start working on a mod that will change the available classes for some of the companions and sidekicks - starting with Serafen, Xoti and Konstanten, but possibly for other characters as well. So I thought I'd ask what other people might be interested in seeing: hypothetically, what classes or class combinations do you think would be fitting, mechanically interesting, or otherwise compelling on companion or sidekick characters?

Currently planned:

• Serafen: Wild Mind / Ghost Heart
  • Konstanten: Replace Skald w/Troubadour
  • Xoti: Replace Sister of the Reaping w/literally anything

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Konstanten: replace Barbarian with Shattered Pillar. I mean he has gargantuan hands and likes to cause pain while he resolves tensions. I mean every kneader does, right? ;) So he should be able to resolve tensions with Transcendent Suffering...

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Xoti: replace Monk with Paladin

Tekehu: replace his Chanter's subclass to literally anything that isn't dumb

Fassina: replace Conjurer with same as above

I was extremely disappointed when I recruited Fassina. She would be such an amazing character if it wasn't for that dumb subclass.

Yes I know I can just use an editor but I'm trying to avoid doing that.

Edited by Manveru123
  • Like 2

Fassina: replace Conjurer with same as above

I was extremely disappointed when I recruited Fassina. She would be such an amazing character if it wasn't for that dumb subclass.

This.

Seriously, Conjurer is the worst wizard subclass by far. Many of Conjuration spells (such as summoned weapons) doesn't even get benefit from increased power level.

Tekehu subclass isn't bad though.

Edited by Sergeant Arch Dornan

Eder - Street Fighter, kind of natural fit.

Aloth - Replace Spellblade with Arcane Knight, since he trained to be one in his backstory. His new duty-driven personality fits Paladin as well

Serafen - Replace pure Barbarian with Cipher/Fighter or Cipher/Rogue, since it doesn't make sense for him to lack Cipher

Why is Tekehu's Chanter subclass bad? I found it pretty cool to be able to cast powerful druid spells with phrases instead of 2/encounter.

People hate it because it loses summons - which is reasonable if you plan to go pure Chanter. For Chanter/Druid, tho, it's a pretty good trade, since Druids get summons of their own, and Tekehu in particular gets that cool water tentacle.

Eder - at least one subclass for his class options. Unbroken / Trickster for powergaming tankiness or something more lore friendly like a no-sub fighter / streetfighter

Xoti - I think a Helwalker would be a great replacement for her monk subclass since healing scales off of might

Aloth - Maybe an Arcane Knight option instead of battlemage? I love paladins...

Serafen - I have mixed feelings about his cipher subclass, but it is kind of hilarious when you turn the last enemy invisible in an easy fight. I would definitely make sure all three of his options include cipher! Maybe dump pure barb for ghost heart / wild mind or trickster / wild mind.

The other main characters are pretty good. Tekehu is amazing with his foe only chillfog. I love Maia's bird, and she makes a fantastic geomancer or scout. Pallegina also makes an incredible Herald. 

I don't bother with sidekicks. IMHO just hire an adventurer if you don't want companion quests and dialog...

Edited by arkane83

Why is Tekehu's Chanter subclass bad? I found it pretty cool to be able to cast powerful druid spells with phrases instead of 2/encounter.

Because he doesn't have Chanter summons, and Druid summons are inferior.

Foe only chillfog.

Tekehu is arguably the best companion in the game if you play a rogue or a beguiler

Because he doesn't have Chanter summons, and Druid summons are inferior.

So if I don't use summons anyway it's actually great?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Rekke - can be a pure Monk or a pure Shattered Pillar

Xoti - pure Monk instead of Sister of the Reaping Moon

Fassina - pure Wizard instead of Conjurer

Ydwin - Ascendant instead of pure Cipher

I also wish Tekehu's Chanter subclass had some unique spells instead of merely recycling other classes'.

Edér - Priest of Eothas if he joined the Night Market in his PoE ending (appreciate the reactivity involved would make this too costly to properly implement.)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Not sure how kosher mods are considered here but...

I've had Xoti as Shattered Pillar/Priest of Wael (take that cannon) as a staple of every run I've done via the unity console mod (dead easy to use, takes all of 30 seconds to reroll a party member stats and all then just pops you to the standard reroll process a la taverns). In all the teams/builds I've played around with that combo is hands down gonna carry if mistakes are made or the rest of the party is trash.

10/10 melee off tank/dps and support for PotD. I've done it with several weapons setups, dunno about most optimal but my feels-good favorite was dual wielding rapiers and Sungrazer/Toutlio's Palm as second set.

Honestly the only NPC that I actually keep the same on a run is Tekehu if I use him.

FWIW the unity mod can change any ranger class's pet to a ghost pet if you don't want the dead weight around or let anybody be a gunhawk or watershaper.

With respect to Fassina, I'm pretty sure the reason they gave her Conjurer was for the Imp summon (note that her multiclass options are also summoning classes). There's a logic to it, even if wizard subclasses are terrible.

(Working on Arcane Knight Aloth as a test case, since I happen to have a save right before picking him up). I'm actually finished with the important stuff, but I don't want to give him an incomplete progressiontable and accidentally break something, so that's taking a bit). At present I'm making him a Shieldbearer, since they're Aedyran.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 1

From what I know, progression tables for companions are only for three things:

1. Class/Subclass passives
  2. Lv1 Ability selection and 2 proficiencies
  3. Auto Level Up when picking the companion if the lv1 option is disabled

After you get the companion, you choose his abilities, ignoring his progression table.

If you want, there is already a mod that makes Aloth an Arcane Knight, among other companions: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/72

Companion Aloth Evoker Sorcerer ArcaneKnight:

• Added Evoker subclass to the Wizard choice
  • Changed Battlemage to Arcane Knight (Wizard + Shieldbearers)
  • Changed Spellblade to Sorcerer (Evoker + Fury)
Edited by Kohwalter

1. I need another priest other than Xoti. Rekke would be cool or maybe Konstanten. There are other monks and barb and chanters.

2. Turn Fassina into single class wizard or pure wizard/druid (I know she summoned all imps in Arkemyr's mansion but I think the only good choice for mage is pure mage or evoker).

giphy.gif

I agree that Xoti as the only priest in the game is annoying since I can't stand her.

However, somehow I can't see Rekke as a priest using any of the current subclasses. We don't know anything from his region and their gods.

On the other hand, I sometimes can see Eder as a Cleric or even a Templar depending on the ending from PoE1.

From the multiclass perspective, I'm tempted in making Aloth a Thaumaturge with Wael subclass. That might be cool.

Aloth as a Wizard Priest of Woedica or Steel Garotte Paladin. It somewhat fits one of his endings in PoE , a mod provides access to both subclasses so I assume they exist, and neither combinations are used in game.

Serafen as a Mindstalker.

Teke as a Tempest.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

What companion builds do you /wish/ were possible?

Xoti: priestess (of Gaun) / helwalker

Aloth: wizard / unbroken

Aloth: illusionist / unbroken

Pallegina: wayfarer / skald

Pallegina: wayfarer / troubadour