Yet another lore question! I'm trying to work on a custom backstory for the Rauatai intelligence agent I talked about here before, so I was hoping to learn a little bit more about how Rauatai feels about animancy as a whole. It seems like, based on the information on the wiki, they're against it - Rauatai is described as being the most technologically advanced nation if animancy isn't counted, but it also seems like a lot of that stems from their experiences and, as conquest/expansion/trade increases, they'd at least entertain the idea. 

I do know that Atsura critiques the Vallians' excessive processing of Luminous though, and their sense of experimentation for the sake of experimentation, which seems to indicate a disdain for the practice. 

• Like 1

I do know that Atsura critiques the Vallians' excessive processing of Luminous though, and their sense of experimentation for the sake of experimentation, which seems to indicate a disdain for the practice. 

You know Atsura is extremely manipulative, right? There's nothing saying the RDC wouldn't also be irresponsible with luminous adra. It's just not a priority for them, so he took an easy shot at the VTC.

I wouldn't use Atsura to figure out Rauataian culture.

• Like 2

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Alright. So it's entirely possible that Rauatai would support animancy projects provided they had some sort of concrete application?

I think that's a fair assessment, yeah.  I suspect it hasn't been a focus for them, but that they're not actually against it.  At least, not with the way they're portrayed in Deadfire.  If it gives them some sort of advantage in their personal interests, I think the Rauatai would fully support animancy.  Very similar to how they supported the Valian lady in her research because it helped them with the submarine.

If the Ranga Nui commanded it. But its a nation in love with its own traditional values, which too be fair, have produced maybe the finest army in Eora.

Rauatai doesn't need to change the world's paradigm, it's winning by it's own might. 

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

If the Ranga Nui commanded it. But its a nation in love with its own traditional values, which too be fair, have produced maybe the finest army in Eora.

Rauatai doesn't need to change the world's paradigm, it's winning by it's own might.

Until someone blows up their excessively vast gunpowder stores destroying the effectiveness and manpower of their army.