Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dev Stream on Thursday 7/12/18 at 11 AM PDT with Alex Scokel!

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2651 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
*golf clap*

Tick

Tick

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 275 posts

Did somebody write down their talk?
I am not a native english speaker, there are no subtitles and the gaming in the background distracts me from listening.

If I have time, I'll make a transcript. I don't know of anyone else making one.
  • tonpix likes this

OEI_Alex

OEI_Alex

Narrative Designer

• Developers
  • 4 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Mr Scokel - what in your opinion is a good way to organically motivate the player to follow the narrative you prepared for them, so that it doesn't feel like railroading? ("I have to do this story bit" vs "I want to do this story bit"). What sort of narrative difficulties you face provided that unlike in tabletop, the story in cRPG needs to be pretty much universal, and cannot be changed "on the fly" - yet the player character can be virtually anyone?

I can't speak to why the reasons to structure base game the way it was structured were made - they were before my time. 

As for the quoted bit, this is the million dollar question, right? Though, for one, the player character can't be virtually anyone - we can't support that. The player of PoE and Deadfire always takes on the role of the Watcher. That character can be a lot of different things, but they are ultimately always a Watcher, they always have arrived in the Dyrwood from a foreign land, and they always claim Caed Nua, to name a few things.

(It's worth noting that I put limitations on tabletop characters, too. (And my guess is that most DMs do, whether it's in the races the characters can be from, the classes they can take, or where they can come from in the world.) My most successful tabletop games have had pretty tight restrictions on character creation. A Mage game that I ran for five years required all of the players be college students who were friends at the same school in Chicago, for example. Providing that tight guidance helps the player understand the type of game they're getting into and the kinds of challenges they can expect to experience.)

So the question is, how do you make that character's journey and goals as compelling as possible to as many people as possible? (Because pleasing everyone is somewhere between incredibly difficult and impossible.) I'd argue that you should present goals that are specific enough to inspire investment while universal enough to apply to as many people as possible. That's why hooking things on family can be problematic - the quest to save your child may not resonate strongly with people who don't have children or don't want them.

It may actually be more important to avoid alienating people than to net as many as possible. Generally players come to the table wanting to play.

And ultimately mileage varies. I love New Vegas, but the initial critical path (find Benny) didn't really grip me. I was just excited to explore and learn about the characters. But by the time that game's ultimate showdown came around, I was invested in the region itself, and the communities I'd impacted along the way. 

I do think that it's also worthwhile to provide multiple motivations. Give the player several reasons to want to do something, and you're more likely to hook them than if you only provide one.

As for the questions:

Will we ever receive new portraits for our created characters?

If not, will more customization options be added that matches the portraits we do have?

Obsessive Compulsive minds would like to know.

It wouldn't surprise me if new portraits crop up down the road, but I'm not the person to ask. I do think that there are a lot of options for portraits out there in the world, from fan-made portrait packs to commissions.

I don't think, however, that the goal of the concept artists (and I'm not one, so take this with a big old saltlick of salt) is to reflect only those traits available in the character creator.

• Tick, misterjimmy and Cdiaz like this

OEI_Alex

OEI_Alex

Narrative Designer

• Developers
  • 4 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Question related to Lore and Narrative Design: after the game was released, many questions sprung up regarding the nature of the Wheel. Josh publicly responded that some exposition was cut for feel, and while none of the internal testers missed it, many of the players felt that it left a gap. Is there a plan to reintroduce some of what was cut via DLC or in a sequel? If not, could someone fill us in?

Thanks in advance!

Can you give me more specific questions re: the Wheel?

I can't say we definitely won't reintroduce what was cut, but I don't think it's our highest priority, either.

Lore question:

Spoiler

Other question: How many chances for a Modwyr banter pack free DLC? It would be great for the sword to banter with companions and perhaps interject in some conversations like companions do.

I answered your spoiler question on stream, kind of, which was basically "we did it for a reason."

As for Modwyr, I'd say greater than zero but far from certain. It would be pretty expensive. (Banters are pretty expensive.)

My two lore questions (hope it's not too greedy))):

2. You gave us the opportunity to romance some characters from first game, but not all. That means, that our relations can really transform and go further. Will we be able to develop our relations with other old charaters in future (may be in POE 3))?

Never say never.

I imagine that if characters return, we'll want to allow for a development of the player's relationship with them (not that that necessarily means a romantic relationship). But we're also not going to bring back old characters solely to advance the player character's relationships with them.

While we're at, and I really hope you could answer this: Is Eric Fenstermaker going to write Edér for the DLCs too? If not, who's writing him?

Eric's not currently working on the DLCs. Beast of Winter Eder is a combined effort of Paul and Josh. Josh wrote a bit of Eder in Deadfire, too, so he's no stranger to the character.

Okay, I have a few questions:

2. If you were planning to do a third game, then would the relationships with possibly returning companions be continued in it?

4. Is there a possibility that a (possible) new companion from story dlc will have a spot for a deeper (romantic) relationship with our Watcher?

2. If companions returned, probably.

I know that's a foggy answer, but there's a lot of maybes in game dev. Certainly that's something I'd be interested in.

4. Never say never.

But there are a lot of challenges to making that kind of content, especially in a tightly-focused DLC experience.

three question for companion and main quest

2.  Will there more active dialogue and personal quest for non-dlc companion in DLC ? For example,I can continue search the answer about why Woden(Eder's brother) join St. Waidwen, since there is many readceran in Deadfire, so maybe there is someone know about him.

There will be no new companion quests, but there will be further companion content. Eder, in particular, is well worth taking along for Beast of Winter.

As is a certain pale elf.

Will we ever see an in-game representation of a map of Eora? (For example, one made by Vailians or something, with all its inaccuracies). Also could you confirm if the map seen on a hazatoha table represents Eora or a smaller region?

I'm willing to confirm that the map on the board game table is of part of Eora. Or is at least a traditional Rauataian understanding of that portion of Eora.

• Tick, AndreaColombo, misterjimmy and 1 other like this

Tick

Tick

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 275 posts

Did somebody write down their talk?

I am not a native english speaker, there are no subtitles and the gaming in the background distracts me from listening.

Sorry for the crazy delay, I don't know if you still even want this. :p  Making a transcript was way more work and time than I would have ever expected.

I tried to bold the questions and write down what I heard accurately, while minimizing the speech fillers ("um", "like") and parts where someone would cut off a thought to go to some other one.  

Spoiler

• Sabri and Madscientist like this

Tick

Tick

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 275 posts

Could someone tell here what important things Alex said without spoil the story?

My english level is low and I can't understand the majority of phrases.

Thanks in advance.

I've pretty much lost my mind listening to this and writing it down, but I'll try to write down the points I remember- you can check the transcript I posted above, if it helps to read it (instead of listening).  I've found it's a lot easier to read German (which I've been casually learning for over a year or two) than listen to it, as a native English speaker.

I'm also just going to talk about things related to the game directly - let me know if you want me to touch on all of the questions and answers.

• They showed the Beast of Winter teaser a couple of times. One at the beginning (roughly ten minutes in) and the very end.
  • Beast of Winter is out August 2nd, 2018, price at $9.99
  • Beast of Winter will touch a lot on the culture(s) of pale elves, and Ryrmgand, and how they follow Ryrmgand.  There should be some reactivity to Watchers that are pale elves or from the White that Wends. Most, but not all the kith in the new area(s) will be pale elves.
  • Beast of Winter DLC will not change the possible endings for the base game, but there will be some content at the very end of the game (ending slides?) that you will only get with the Beast of Winter DLC.
  • Beast of Winter has a new companion/sidekick? that does react to some of the base game content and is essential to the DLC content.
  • Ydwin will have some thoughts and reactions to the pale elf society(societies?) in Beast of Winter.
  • The pale elves and what they're doing in this DLC have some kind of crossover with the pale elves and what they were doing in Twin Elms, in Pillars of Eternity 1.
  • There is not a new faction to side with for the end of base game (Deadfire).  There may or may not be in future DLC's (though I would personally assume no, right now).
  • All deities have godlikes, which can have very varied forms (e.g. Galawain godlikes can appear/show up very differently).  
  • There are no tie-in novels planned right now, but there will be some kind of tie-in fiction for the games in the near(ish?) future.  (I would guess short stories).

A lot of the dev stream was Alex talking about his opinions, thoughts, experience on development for the base game - which was very cool, but I left  itout in case that wasn't what you were looking for.

Edited by Tick, Yesterday, 06:20 PM.

• wuthering20 and AndreaColombo like this

Madscientist

Madscientist

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1417 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Thanks for writing it down.

Unfortuanatly no new info about the wheel, what was before the creation of gods and what happens after Eothas smashes it.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Armanz, mungomunk