Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dev Stream on Thursday 7/12/18 at 11 AM PDT with Alex Scokel!

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Is the Vailian process of refining luminous adra effectively destroying the souls therein? If not, is it preventing those souls from ever passing through the Beyond and be reincarnated? In that case, I'd expect the gods to be outraged (the Vailians are preventing them from feeding off countless of souls) and the Leaden Key to be out to prevent it (while it is true that we vanquished Thaos in PoE, Aloth himself says the Leaden Key is very fractured and with poor internal communication; chances are LK cells are unaware of what went on in the Dyrwood and are still fully operational.) Also, no public outrage from any protesters about their harvesting soul-loaded material?
  • Is Falanroed supposed to physically show up in the Principi's Consuaglio if we didn't kill her in PoE? Presently she doesn't, and I wouldn't have minded asking her how she went from dragon-slayer in the Dyrwood to pirate in the Deadfire.
  • Deadfire doesn't offer much in the way of reactivity to the Watcher's choice to empower Woedica at the end of PoE. Was this a deliberate choice, or merely lack of time? If the latter, is it being addressed in the DLCs?
  • Josh mentioned the Priest of Woedica and Steel Garrote Paladin classes were not made available to the player—despite being mechanically complete or almost complete—mostly owing to lack of time to implement proper in-game reactivity. Is this being addressed in the DLCs?

Edited by AndreaColombo, 11 July 2018 - 12:53 PM.

• Tick and misterjimmy like this

Sotnik

Sotnik

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Steam:76561198056541314

What is the origin of the sentient races in PoE? Did they emerge independently or are they some kind of mutations of a previously unique species?

Edited by Sotnik, 11 July 2018 - 01:36 PM.

• Tick likes this

OEI_Alex

OEI_Alex

Narrative Designer

• Developers
  • 12 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ok, I have a bunch of lore questions:

Does a ranga nui inherit their throne or are they elected?

Would a godlike born to the Roparu caste still have a special place in their tribe?

Can members of different castes have children together? If so, then to which caste do their children belong to?

Also how much Rauatai and Huana lore was already created before working on Deadfire started?

I don't believe we've explored your first question yet in-game.

I believe we state in Deadfire that Huana caste is determined at birth by the presiding priest. There's a tendency to assign people to the caste of their parents, but that's not a hard rule. I suspect a godlike would generally get "preferential" (assuming you believe being assigned to a higher caste preferential) treatment.

As for your last question, by the time Deadfire hit production, I believe a lot of the lore had been developed, especially for the Huana. That stuff can change over the development of a game, but there's a solid base to start from. 

(I'm saving most of y'all's questions for the stream, by the by, not ignoring them.)

• Tick, AndreaColombo, Daled and 2 others like this

Madscientist

Madscientist

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1419 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

- In PoE1 I did not empower Woedeca at the end and in PoE1 you can never meet her.

I imported this save in PoE2 and now she is present when the gods discuss what to do with Eothas.

How did she return after losing her power, why do the other gods accept her as one of them after kicking her out and why is she not angry at me that I killed Thaos, her best agent?

- The discussions between the gods seemed very strange to me:

+ Why do the gods need a mortal to talk with Eothas?

+ Why do the gods allow a mortal to watch and listen to their discussions?

+ What is so special about me? I was only half dead and not fully dead after Eothas stepped on me. But is there anything beyond that.

+ Why does Berath think that Eothas will listen only to me and to one one else, including other gods?

- Why do the factions not really care that a giant statue is walking around, killing everything along the way?

They are fighting each other and they try to find Ukaizo. The fact that both Eothas and the factions want to get to Ukaizo seems to be the only connection between them.

So it looks a bit like the main quest is a bit disconnected from the rest of the game.

- Any information about how the incanation of souls worked before the creation of the gods/wheel and what happens when Eothas destroys it?

Before the end of the game I did not expect the wheel to be a physical machine that can be smashed with your fist ( if you are a giant statue)

• aksrasjel, Tick, misterjimmy and 2 others like this

no1fanboy

no1fanboy

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 264 posts

- In PoE1 I did not empower Woedeca at the end and in PoE1 you can never meet her.

I imported this save in PoE2 and now she is present when the gods discuss what to do with Eothas.

How did she return after losing her power, why do the other gods accept her as one of them after kicking her out and why is she not angry at me that I killed Thaos, her best agent?

- The discussions between the gods seemed very strange to me:

+ Why do the gods need a mortal to talk with Eothas?

+ Why do the gods allow a mortal to watch and listen to their discussions?

+ What is so special about me? I was only half dead and not fully dead after Eothas stepped on me. But is there anything beyond that.

+ Why does Berath think that Eothas will listen only to me and to one one else, including other gods?

- Why do the factions not really care that a giant statue is walking around, killing everything along the way?

They are fighting each other and they try to find Ukaizo. The fact that both Eothas and the factions want to get to Ukaizo seems to be the only connection between them.

So it looks a bit like the main quest is a bit disconnected from the rest of the game.

- Any information about how the incanation of souls worked before the creation of the gods/wheel and what happens when Eothas destroys it?

Before the end of the game I did not expect the wheel to be a physical machine that can be smashed with your fist ( if you are a giant statue)

You forgot the most important question of all:

Why on earth am i chasing around a giant statue that i couldn't care less about. ? I can still cast spells and use abilities no problem. Chasing a stupid statue is the last thing on my mind when i can go treasure hunting and collect bounties

Its the complete opposite of an immersive story. The main narrative is just a nuisance that distracts away from all the fun

Madscientist

Madscientist

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1419 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You die when you get too far away from Eothas because a part of your soul is within him.

At the beginning of the game Eder tells you that you felt better since you arrived at the deadfire.

• Tick and PantherX14 like this

handsomenat

handsomenat

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 139 posts

Also Berath placed a chime in your soul to make sure you do as she asks or else.

Edited by handsomenat, 12 July 2018 - 12:39 AM.

• Tick and PantherX14 like this

no1fanboy

no1fanboy

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 264 posts
Yeah but none of that is excactly what you would call a gripping interesting immersive story

Its terrible

aksrasjel

aksrasjel

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I kind of agree, it feels a bit cheap and railroady. It's like the overall narrative is putting the gun to the player's head and asks to comply with the story or else.

Given that this is deliberately a Q&A section, I might as well turn in into an official question - if I may.

Mr Scokel - what in your opinion is a good way to organically motivate the player to follow the narrative you prepared for them, so that it doesn't feel like railroading? ("I have to do this story bit" vs "I want to do this story bit"). What sort of narrative difficulties you face provided that unlike in tabletop, the story in cRPG needs to be pretty much universal, and cannot be changed "on the fly" - yet the player character can be virtually anyone?

Edited by aksrasjel, 12 July 2018 - 04:43 AM.

Vitalis

Vitalis

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 190 posts

I kind of agree if feels a bit cheap and railroady. It's like the overall narrative is putting the gun to the player's head and asks to comply with the story or else.
Given that this is deliberately a Q&A section, I might as well turn in into an official question - if I may.
Mr Scokel - what in your opinion is a good way to organically motivate the player to follow the narrative you prepared for them, so that it doesn't feel like railroading? What sort of narrative difficulties you face provided that unlike in tabletop, the story in cRPG needs to be pretty much universal, and cannot be changed "on the fly" - yet the player character can be virtually anyone?

They bought the game, presumably, knowing that it wasn't a full on theme park "do whatever" type game; that should be reason enough to start the story. Finishing it is entirely up to the player, which is tangentially related to how well written the story is. Most narratives in cRPGs are railroaded by the content available for the player, if they don't advance the story, they don't get content. It's different in the ever popular ThemePark "RPG's"™ of certain developers because the story isn't the main feature, it's just tacked on for the people that care, and it shows.

The narrative changes are related to disposition, which while great, is not an entirely perfect system since people are rarely always
One/a couple of Cruel, Aggresive, Benevolent, Diplomatic, Clever, Passionate, Rational, or Stoic; but a mix of any of them depending on the situation. It is entirely possible for a player to end up with a smattering of dispositions which end up creating reactivity that the player does not agree with for the character. Paladins are exempt since they essentially have to be their approved dispositions.

But what do I know, I'm just some rambling recluse on the internet.

As for the questions:

Will we ever receive new portraits for our created characters?

If not, will more customization options be added that matches the portraits we do have?

Obsessive Compulsive minds would like to know.

Edited by Vitalis, 12 July 2018 - 02:12 AM.

• Achilles likes this

Tick

Tick

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 514 posts
This is touching on what someone said earlier :

What happens to the souls when luminous adra is mined? Are they dispersed? Are they destroyed when mined or when the adra is used? I got the vibe that the soul's energy is being used.

What happens if
Spoiler

My apologies if this has been answered in the games! I might have missed or forgotten something.

WHW

WHW

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

For the lack of better word, where should I look if I wanted to explore "oriental" (east-asian) themes in Eora? 

Tick

Tick

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 514 posts
Thank you guys for the dev stream! I've never seen a developer do one of those before, it was cool to listen to.

Also, Serafen is a fantastic character for a ton of reasons and I love the whole conversation and moment he gives you the spiffy captain hat.

Also, the bit about Dragon Age : Origins : "I could write that. Sorry Bioware." Ha

juanval

juanval

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Could someone tell here what important things Alex said without spoil the story?

My english level is low and I can't understand the majority of phrases.

Thanks in advance.

• Tick likes this

house2fly

house2fly

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 665 posts

I kind of agree, it feels a bit cheap and railroady. It's like the overall narrative is putting the gun to the player's head and asks to comply with the story or else.
Mr Scokel - what in your opinion is a good way to organically motivate the player to follow the narrative you prepared for them, so that it doesn't feel like railroading? ("I have to do this story bit" vs "I want to do this story bit"). What sort of narrative difficulties you face provided that unlike in tabletop, the story in cRPG needs to be pretty much universal, and cannot be changed "on the fly" - yet the player character can be virtually anyone?

people complained that PoE1 wasn't railroady enough, so this is what you get

EDIT: Missed the party, but have a question just in case the devs are still reading this thread: will the DLC adventure add ending slides to the main game like White March did in PoE1? This may have been answered in the stream, but I can't watch for a couple of hours

Edited by house2fly, 12 July 2018 - 01:56 PM.

Tick

Tick

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 514 posts

people complained that PoE1 wasn't railroady enough, so this is what you get

EDIT: Missed the party, but have a question just in case the devs are still reading this thread: will the DLC adventure add ending slides to the main game like White March did in PoE1? This may have been answered in the stream, but I can't watch for a couple of hours

I can help with this!
Going off memory, but they did mention the DLC would add new ending slides. Also, as of now, there will be no changes to the main story's ending choices.

Tick

Tick

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 514 posts

Could someone tell here what important things Alex said without spoil the story?

My english level is low and I can't understand the majority of phrases.

Thanks in advance.

The stream was aggressively spoiler free until the end, which was where they showed the DLC.

I can help try to list points if someone doesn't soon - I can't right now because I'm on the phone and it would be painful.
  • juanval likes this

LordofBones

LordofBones

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 32 posts

>New weapon

>Is another sword

>Dies inside.

Madscientist

Madscientist

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1419 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Did somebody write down their talk?

I am not a native english speaker, there are no subtitles and the gaming in the background distracts me from listening.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1336 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

>New weapon

>Is another sword

>Dies inside.

I'm sorry Ms. Jackson (oooooo)

I am two eels

I never meant to make your daughter gored

I am two fish and not a sword

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy, 13 July 2018 - 12:36 PM.

• Achilles, Night Stalker, Tick and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users