So, I've had ideas for three different Wizard multiclasses that all center around conjuring Citzal's Spirit Lance and using it to launch devastating AoE melee attacks, while using defensive buffs to ensure that I don't die in the process. I've considered three different options for this build, two of which I've actually done theorycrafting for, as well as what sort of character each would represent, and I'd like to share all of them for you all to give your thoughts on. 

1. Sage (Wizard/Shattered Pillar): I know that X/Monk is sort of a meme at this point (Monk is the best piece of gear you could use for your class, etc.), but I feel that, with the tweaks it's gotten, it's in a better place right now to offer 'reasonable' high damage. This build would make use of mostly Monk abilities with the essential Wizard abilities coming from the Llengrath's Martial Masteries grimoire. Shattered Pillar is picked for quicker Wound generation (on auto attack) and Wounds are primarily burned to ensure Rooting Pain procs (33% now, but still - a chance each wound is still good) and the use of lots of Primary Attack abilities (So the build doesn't benefit as much from dual-wielding as it would otherwise). It also gets a sort of miniature Disciplined Barrage through Eldritch Aim, which grants Aware. 

All I really know about this character is that he's attempting to establish ties with the Circle of Archmagi, and tends to value collecting information for the sake of information, rather than putting it towards any particular purpose. He's also a Nature Godlike

2. Battlemage (Wizard/Devoted): This build goes for a more defensive approach to the Spirit-Lancer, with Fighter providing some nice buffs to accuracy as well as Penetration through, well. Penetrating Strike. Armored Grace with the Armor Recovery bonus from Cutthroat Cosmo means I can get away with some of the heavier armors as well, for a couple seconds extra cast/recovery time. The only issue I have with this option is that, compared to Monk and Rogue, Fighter doesn't really have too many interesting attacking moves, and the ones it does have seem to cost quite a bit of Discipline. 

This character is more of your standard hero-type, with strong influences from Irish folklore, particularly the stories of the Fianna heroes. He'd be more inclined to support the Huana, and has wild passions. Nature Godlike

3. Spellblade (Wizard/Streetfighter): I haven't even started on planning this one yet. The idea is similar to the Umezawa build posted elsewhere on these forums. Basically, it takes the defensive buffs of the Wizard and combines them with the Streetfighter's bonus for being Flanked in order to create a character that gets a massive Recovery reduction as well as huge additive damage bonuses, as well as plenty of afflictions. It doesn't get the same attack speed bonuses as the Monk, but it definitely gets its own fair share of nice abilities that would synergize really well with the Spirit Lance. The only issue here is that a lot of these are Full Attacks, so using them with a Pike would be 'slightly' less efficient. 

The Spellblade is something of a knowledge thief with ties to the Rauatai Navy. He's something of an information broker, who was originally dispatched to the Dyrwood as a spy before being caught up in events as they unfolded. Right now, he's trying to serve his country's best interests in the Deadfire, and establish links with the RDC as soon as possible. 

Admittedly my Spellblade is coming off as the most fleshed out of all of these characters, and the one I'm inclined towards playing the most. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on it, but ultimately this is seeming like the one I'm inclined to go with. 

What do you mean that a Streetfighter Spellblade won't get the same attack speed bonuses as a Monk? A Flanked or Bloodied Streetfighter is actually much faster then a Flurry Monk. Unless you mean the extra attack procs on crit. Then it can't quite replicate those, agreed.

But having a much higher recovery speed overall (including casting recovery!), right from the start as well, more then makes up for that IMO. And Heartbeat Drumming is a level 19 ability for a multiclass character....

Edited by Haplok

A few similar ones that come to mind:

Arcane Knight (Wizard/Any Paladin): Flames of Devotion is strong for a 1 cost attack ability, should work well with Spirit Lance

Warlock (Wizard/Berzerker): presumably this combo would work too for even more AOE.

Sage: the other two subclasses would work too I think. Shattered Pillars is probably more fun to use with the lance though.

but yeah, if you're feeling inspired by Wizard/Streetfighter, that sounds like the one to choose. :)

The most powerful combo is Lance + Stunning Surge. In addition to that you can get +10 INT for your Lance AoE via Duality of Mortal Presence.

Lance + Arterial + Gouging Strike solves most encounters as well. Also Riposte with Lance is pretty hilarious. Lance with high INT (cast Infuse wVE first) and Toxic Strike does enormous AoE DoT damage.

Lance with Cleaving/Mob Stance is also very nice - but you need multiple engagement slots for getting attack speed bonuses from Mob Stance. Besides that, Mule Kick + Lance is hilarious as well. And also Clear Out + Lance.

All three combos are very nice.

Even Wizard/Barbarian and Wizard/Paladin are great when using the Lance. Blood Thirst + Lance: ouch...

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I had enormous fun with the helwalker sage for the easy and nearly permanent 35 Might. If you plan to go pike anyway then it will certainly work. If you want better single target then you can maybe switch to a metaphysics buffed chromoprismatic quarterstaff. Helwalker also allows for extremely powerful AOE evocations. Wounds are managed and quickly accumulate with Dance of Death and staying behind your comrades until the masses drop dead or you see an opening to take out the ranged with ease.

I see a lot of potential fun with martial wizard builds. There are lots of good options.

I had enormous fun with the helwalker sage for the easy and nearly permanent 35 Might. If you plan to go pike anyway then it will certainly work. If you want better single target then you can maybe switch to a metaphysics buffed chromoprismatic quarterstaff. Helwalker also allows for extremely powerful AOE evocations. Wounds are managed and quickly accumulate with Dance of Death and staying behind your comrades until the masses drop dead or you see an opening to take out the ranged with ease.

I see a lot of potential fun with martial wizard builds. There are lots of good options.

There are! Almost too many in fact, it's genuinely kind of hard to pick. 

Lance with Cleaving/Mob Stance is also very nice - but you need multiple engagement slots for getting attack speed bonuses from Mob Stance.

Is this true? The description just says "each nearby enemy" and "-5% Recovery per Threatened Target. What exactly constitutes "threatened"?

Edited by JackalTornMoons